Dansguardian on dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
abishur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 0:27    Post subject: Dansguardian on dd-wrt Reply with quote
Has anyone set up dansguardian on their router with DD-wrt. If so, I'd be interested in hearing which router you're using and how well it works for you. I know that to effectively use DG, you also need a proxy server on there as well (tiny proxy probably), but I was also hoping to throw clam AV in there.

Basically, if you've done this I'd love to hear your take from it, and the hardware you're using with it.
Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
you've asked this before here... i understand you didn't get much response, prob because you would normally use this on a full server set-up? I would imagine you will need to cross-compile it yourself for optware, and i imagine because of the sixe of the package you would need to run it from USB.

google will be your friend...

the NSLU2 site

have fun!

list of optware packages
broadcom announcements, peacock and recommended builds
abishur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am aware of my own post (indeed the first thing I did was use the search function to see if anyone had ever responded to that post or for any other post in this forum that might have been helpful to me) Razz I asked it almost a year ago and rather than resurrecting it, I decided to do a new post and changed the question from general advice to asking specifically for people who have done the very thing I'm thinking about.

Google is my good friend. I've been all over it and found extremely limited information which is why I posted asking for people who have actually done this two respond.

Checked out the link you sent me. DG is on the wishlist and not implemented so not too helpful Sad

To be fair, I'm open to other content filters rather than DG. My main thought here is I want to use a router rather than a full blown PC because a) It's cheaper, b) it's a space saver since everyone uses one anyway, c) it uses less power than a PC (doubly so if you consider the fact since I have to have a router anyway, I can use this one device to do both jobs and I'm not doubly up on power usage)

So if anyone out there has actually done this using any content filter I'd love to hear from you even if it's just "routers aren't powerful enough to do this, give it up"
captainclueless
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too searched these forums, other forums and google and came up with bits-n-pieces of a solution.

I'm looking for a very similar use case HERE.

A common theme I found does seem to be that even the "fastest" routers with 128MB ram are not powerful enough. Since I'm concerned with only 4-5 users I'm still working to set it up and give it a try.

However, I'm not even at the point yet where I've been able to successfully install DG into the router.

Theres one more reason for this kind of solution that you didn't list... simplicity. Setting up a dedicated *nix box running DG is clearly the way its been done, but that necessitates routing configs, inserting it in the correct point in your network, and physically locating an additional piece of hardware.

Anyway - nothing directly of use to post - sorry - but thought you might be interested your not the only one trying to solve it.

If a dd-wrt "guru" want to chime in and tell us it just wont work please feel free to do so. Smile
abishur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you've heard about this little number coming out

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

But it looks promising to do what I'm looking for without dropping a bunch of cash for a high end router or a low end laptop/desktop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: