LAN as WAN port on WLI-TX4-G54HP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mikeshoup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 23:28    Post subject: LAN as WAN port on WLI-TX4-G54HP Reply with quote
So I have one of these "Ethernet Converters" from Buffalo. My main router, a WRT54G died the other week, and I've been fighting to turn one of the LAN ports on the WLI-TX4-G54HP into a WAN port since this device has no real WAN port.

First, I had V23 SP2 on it, and tried changing port 1 over to the same VLAN as the WAN port. That didn't work. Then with V24 on it, the VLAN settings pages changed quite a bit and edited the NVRAM settings. So I ran the commands here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Bridging_WAN_and_a_LAN_port

Still didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas? I've been using this cheap Belkin router as the home's main router for a while, and its just bugging me how useless it is and I really don't want to buy another router right now.
Sponsor
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
WARNING! If the router doesn't like nvram modifications or re-assigning then it is possible to semi-brick your router with these steps:

If you want to proceed, telnet to it and do:

nvram get vlan0ports
nvram get vlan1ports

And it should return something like:

vlan0ports ==> 1 2 3 4 5 *
vlan1ports ==> 0 5

...which means ports 1-4 are LAN and port 0 is WAN; you can reassign them

nvram set vlan0ports=1 2 3 5*
nvram set vlan1ports=4 5
nvram commit

...so that port 4 is WAN and ports 1-3 are LAN. Now configure your router and try plugging your WAN cable in. Remember that just because you said port 4, it doesn't mean it's the last on the right. Try all LAN ports (some switches are wired in a weird way).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not working...

I started off by clearing the nvram.

Then, these are the settings for the vlan#ports:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram get vlan1ports
0 1 5
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram get vlan0ports
1 2 3 4 5*

So, I went through and did:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan1ports="4 5"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 4 5*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram committ
nvram_commit(): end
4 5
1 2 3 4 5*

Then rebooted the router. I'm still not able to establish a WAN connection through any of the four ports.
switch
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's because you added port 4 to both LAN and WAN :)

You might need to play with various settings there. It should work with 4 5 for WAN and 1 2 3 5* for LAN. If not, try adding a 0 to WAN (0 4 5) or even do something like 0 1 2 5 for WAN and 3 4 5* for LAN.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
switch wrote:
That's because you added port 4 to both LAN and WAN :)

You might need to play with various settings there. It should work with 4 5 for WAN and 1 2 3 5* for LAN. If not, try adding a 0 to WAN (0 4 5) or even do something like 0 1 2 5 for WAN and 3 4 5* for LAN.

SWITCH I love you man... I had a thread open regarding this on a Asus wl-500w and you replied but I could get it to work but for some reason I understood what you were saying here. I added the 0 on wan and it worked perfect. My Asus is working beautiful now.

THANKS a million man.
ganya
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
One question...

Now whenever I type the 192.168.1.1 to configure dd-wrt it takes me to the modem configuration. How can I get now to router? Rolling Eyes
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you managed to get it working? (in the Buffalo, not the Asus)

What did you do? The following?

Code:
0 1 5
1 2 3 4 5*

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan1ports="0 4 5"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 5*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram commit
nvram_commit(): end
reboot

0 4 5
1 2 3 5*

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey feliciano, take a look on the date of the posts you are replying to..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I know. Embarassed But I am looking info for doing this myself, and think I can take advantage of what was already discussed.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 18:01    Post subject: How to add a WAN port to WLI-TX4-G54HP added to the wiki Reply with quote
I just created a wiki article with steps to configure one of the LAN ports on a Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP to be a WAN port. I hope this helps anyone that is still looking for a solution.

Here is the article: http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WLI-TX4-G54HP

@feliciano: From looking at other forum posts, it looks like I'm too late with this. Hopefully your hardware isn't really bricked! Although, the discussion about soldering on a WAN port and trying to run as a WHR-HP-G54 is what was the breakthrough to get it working... the trick is to add 0x0100 to boardflags to tell dd-wrt that the board supports VLANs. I thought it would work because of that thread.
philwojo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
RDBLUE, i know you posted a while ago now, and I'm hoping you or someone else see's this questions.

I converted over my Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP router and have it running DD-WRT. I was using it as a bridge, but now want to make it my main router. When I go through your wiki on making a LAN a WAN, I am fine up to the point where I change the first NVRAM settings and then reboot. AFter that I can no longer connect to my router, it is like the IP address changes and I don't know what it is changing too.

I have tried the default of 192.168.1.1, also 1.1.1.1 (buffalo default). I tried what I was previously connecting to it with which is 192.168.10.20, and lots of other combinations as well.

I did the 30/30/30 reset and tried it all again, and got the same results. When I change the first set of parameters from here:

root@wli-tx4-g54hp:~# nvram get boardflags
0x3658
root@wli-tx4-g54hp:~# nvram set boardflags="0x3758"
root@wli-tx4-g54hp:~# nvram commit

I then do a reboot, and then I can no longer access my router. Any suggestions from anyone?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you now plugged into the WAN port? Did you follow the wiki article exactly, including dd-wrt build?
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I confirm my procedure works (altough you may vary ports if it better suits your needs).

If you can't access your router (assuming you are on one of the remaining LAN ports), follow the procedures of recovering from a bad flash.

PS: for those interested, I did quit on trying soldering a physical WAN port for this unit. There were some others components missing.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, so I found I did have the wrong load on the router, it was running a non-vpn version, that was my fault, thanks for pointing that out to a newbie.

I did flash and upgrade the router successfully to the correct build as stated in the wiki with the VPN.

I was then again able to access the router and turn on SSH. I then SSHd in to the router and did the first set of commands again, and they completed, but I got the same results, I cannot access the router after it reboots from the first set of commands to change the hex value.

I tried to access the router on two different computers, one running Win-7 and the other WINXP, both without success. Again, it is like the IP address is changing on the router, but I don't know what it is changing too.

I tried the 192.168.1.1, which is what I used to start with today. I then tried my old 192.168.10.20, which I never put back in after flashing today. I also tried the Buffalo default of 1.1.1.1 and still no luck.

Any other suggestions, or anything else to point out that I might be doing wrong or overlooking? I am sure the wiki and the procedure are fine, just seems to be something weird on my end.

And here is what I see in the top right of the router page when I can access it via the GUI

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10)vpn

It also shows an LAN ip of 192.168.1.1

I have just reset the router again (30/30/30) and can access it now. I'll wait for suggestions before trying again if I don't see anything I overlooked.

Thanks,
Phil
philwojo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, tried one more time and the same results as in my last post. I can do the 30/30/30 reset and each time get back to the normal 192.168.1.1 default IP and get back in via the GUI.

Any suggestions on other IPs to try, this keeps happening after steps 3 and 4. After the reboot is when I loose the connection. Up to that point everything works as expected.

This is the WIKI I am using:
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WLI-TX4-G54HP
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: