Change your 610n V2 into an E3000 - Amended

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 16:54    Post subject: Change your 610n V2 into an E3000 - Amended Reply with quote
This a new new thread.. A brief explanation:

My account was supposedly hacked and the forum was getting spammed. In the cleanup, my account & posts were deleted. Since then, my account & posts were restored, but all attachments to the posts are gone so below is a new post with the needed attachments.

The attached cfe is named V21. It is not really V21 (maybe it is), but is the newest available when looking at the compile date. I named it V21 to keep it separate from the others which are V19 & V20.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is how to turn your 610N_V2 into an E3000. This will only work on a WRT610N_V2.

As with all procedures of this nature, there is a risk. I take no responsibility for what may happen to your router. It is all on you. If you are not comfortable or there is something you don't understand, do not proceed. You have been warned!

If you have a wrt610n_v2 and you do not know what a static ip is, or what a hex editor is, close this thread and continue browsing the forum.

User FrancoisC shares in the credit for this procedure.

Make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is disabled. Setting a static IP on your rig is recommended.

There is no operational jtag on a V2 or a 3000. If you brick your router, it may not be recoverable.

EDIT: This has changed. Jtag can be enabled if you are able and tjtag now supports this router.

If you do not follow the instructions exactly you may need serial to recover assuming your cfe flash was good. If you mess up the cfe flash, your router is now a 100+ dollar paper weight!

You will need a hex editor program. notepad is not a hex editor!, winSCP, and you must have SSH enabled in the dd-wrt firmware. Which means you must have dd-wrt already installed. winSCP uses SSH for file transfer. You will also need an E3000 cfe , and an E3000 build with a modified header. Both are attached below. The CFE you will have to edit. The modified build is ready to go. Both are attached.

This is what needs to be done:

Backup your existing cfe via http and put it in a safe place.

Edit the attached 3000 cfe with your macs, serial, and the 8 digit easy access pin. All found on your sticker. The CFE is a binary file so you must use a hex editor!

The mac address is found at offset 0x1E00 in the cfe file. The easy access pin is at offset 0x3FCDC. The serial number is found at offset 0x3FE30. Complete the edits and rename the cfe file to cfe_new.bin.

During the process, DO NOT power cycle your router. NEVER power cycle the router until all finished with the final flash and the router has booted.

Reset your router to defaults and enable SSH.

Once your CFE edits are done, use winSCP to copy the cfe file to the /tmp folder of the router.

Close winSCP and open a telnet session.

Issue the following commands:

cd /tmp

mtd unlock cfe

mtd write -f cfe_new.bin cfe

It only takes a few seconds to write the new cfe. When back at the telnet prompt, exit the session.

Now access the router via your browser.

Using the admin, upgrade tab, flash the attached build selecting to "reset to defaults" after the flash.

If you do not reset to defaults, your router will brick and you will need serial to recover!

Be patient.. This will take a while and the router may reboot three times. BE PATIENT! It can take up to 6 minutes or longer. I believe dd-wrt starts counting down from 360 when flashing. It took till the number 74 was displayed before I got a success message.. and it took a few more minutes after that for the router to boot for the final time. BE PATIENT!

Once booted, access the router, reset to factory defaults once more, then flash a 3000 build without the modified header.

DO NOT POWER CYCLE THE ROUTER AT ANY TIME

Note: This is the original thread with comments, assessments and a few foul ups. It is 15 pages long. The newest cfe is attached below in THIS thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75183&start=0

e3000_cfe_V21.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  e3000_cfe_V21.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  4123 Time(s)

dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24-14567_modified-e3000.bin
 Filesize:  4.76 MB
 Downloaded:  5213 Time(s)

Last edited by barryware on Wed Nov 16, 2011 0:27; edited 2 times in total
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please note that if you are not looged into your dd-wrt account, you won't be able to see the files.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found how to make JTAG to work on wrt610nv2 and E3000. It requires some small scale soldering to bridge 4 or 5 pads. So if you have totaly bricked router which can't be repaired with serial, there is hope....
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I posted this but got deleted:

@Eko.. did you use any resisters in the circuit? My plan was to bridge the pads, and use 4.7k resisters at the header. Never got that far.. Lifted a couple of pads on the pcb.

DSC02030.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.15 KB
 Viewed:  64844 Time(s)

DSC02030.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bridged them, worked OK. Damn small stuff to do it...
sturesur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:31    Post subject: enabling JTAG on E3000 Reply with quote
Barryware - You Rock!
Thanks for your help!

This was the smallest stuff ever....but finally the router is up n running again.
mArgAAle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great!!! Love the extra space in nvram. If i want to revert to linksys firmware, I should install the one for the e3000, shouldn't I?

Regards
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
mArgAAle wrote:
Great!!! Love the extra space in nvram. If i want to revert to linksys firmware, I should install the one for the e3000, shouldn't I?

Regards

Yes.. once you convert it by replacing the boot-loader (cfe), it is now and forever (unless you change the cfe back to a 610_v2) an E3000. dd-wrt, stock linksys, etc.. It must be treated like an E3000 cuz it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
So if I understand correctly... now that I have converted my WRT610Nv2 to an E3000, I can load the latest stock E3000 firmware via the DD-WRT GUI (with 30-30-30 before and after)?

And if I want to convert it back to a WRT610N, I assume I can write my saved WRT610N cfe.bin file back to the unit. But what build should I flash after that? Thx!

chpyeung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may be asked by others and explained before, but I cannot find it. What are the advantages to convert a WRT610N v2 into an E3000? Will it be faster, more stable, or support more connection session?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
chpyeung wrote:
It may be asked by others and explained before, but I cannot find it. What are the advantages to convert a WRT610N v2 into an E3000? Will it be faster, more stable, or support more connection session?

You get more NVRAM (60k vs 32k). The dual radio devices are a bit short on nvram to begin with because of an extra set of radio settings. If you have lots of non standard configurations (port forwards, qos, mac flitering, etc), vpn keys take a big chunk.

No one really knows but it is theorized that improvements, bug fixes have been made to the boot loader (cfe).

It does not change hardware performance.. The processor is the processor and the radio(s) are the radio(s).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
I found how to make JTAG to work on wrt610nv2 and E3000. It requires some small scale soldering to bridge 4 or 5 pads. So if you have totaly bricked router which can't be repaired with serial, there is hope....

Thanks for that info eko. I was about to do this recently but ended up being able to recover via serial but it is nice to know it is an option available.

I have a 610n I got bricked for $25 and was able to unbrick it by deleting nvram and re flashing via tftp. I am tempted to try converting to a e3000 but I don't think I will need the extra nvram as I am just going to use it as a WDS bridge. I want to play with long distance 5Ghrz links (like 7 mile) and see what can be achieved.
just4sc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was wondering if I can start the conversion process with the mini build for a virgin wrt610nv2 or do I need to flash the full build first?

ie-stock wrt610nv2 -> mini-dd-wrt -> cfe ->e3000 bin

Thanks!
noparking247
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 22:01    Post subject: WRT610Nv2 to E3000, and back again? Reply with quote
Does anyone have the WRT610Nv2 CFE, and/or modded firmware?

I think I'd like to chicken out and revert back -- if possible Smile
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 7
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: