[WZR-HP-ag300h] Output power issue. I BRING YOU: SCIENCE.ish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:44    Post subject: [WZR-HP-ag300h] Output power issue. I BRING YOU: SCIENCE.ish Reply with quote
Due to the slight debate over the unit's output power with stock vs DD-wrt firmware, I decided to get down and actually test shit.
I ran one test with the UF firmware, and two with DD. Notations for each came out different, but within margins.
Here are both test results
tl;dr, neither the UF nor DD-wrt ever exceed 13dbm(20mw) output on either radio in any circumstance.
While i cant confirm the actual output of the UF firmware, the signal quality and usability at 50 feet more than indicate that it is NOT in any way shape or form an "HP" device......

/going to cross post this to buffalo forums. will probably get deleted there.[/img]
Sponsor
fyi2000
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - WHR-HP-G300N TX Power
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Commandline equivalent of wireless "Apply Settings"
DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Atheros Recommended Build
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
seen, didn't find much help in them.
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I take that back. command line ftw. futher testing shall ensue.

edit, seems locked to 13 dbm no matter what.

2nd edit. holy balls.
80211n_wlanconfig ath0 set_txpowercap = 30. works.
Handyman007
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackomegax wrote:
80211n_wlanconfig ath0 set_txpowercap = 30. works.

Substitute the SSID's Mac Address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx for the = sign, and you can save it in the Admin/Commands Startup for it to work. 30dbm will be shown in the config web interface and as a result of the iwlist command you have shown above.

But does it actually boost the power or are we kust seeing a ghost? Have you run another output test?
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will when i get home on monday.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 13:33    Post subject: Re: [WZR-HP-ag300h] Output power issue. I BRING YOU: SCIENCE Reply with quote
blackomegax wrote:
going to cross post this to buffalo forums. will probably get deleted there.[/img]

Uh yea, when you threaten some kinda class action lawsuit what else do you expect, it not to get deleted?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, aside from having worded it as an advisement to fix their false advertising, because more lawyery people than I might. (the hardware, though, appears capable, their code does not)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackomegax wrote:
Well, aside from having worded it as an advisement to fix their false advertising, because more lawyery people than I might. (the hardware, though, appears capable, their code does not)

And the part i bolded is exactly why that class action lawsuit would never make it, the hardware is capable, which would rule the manufacturer out of any liability and get laffed out of court. And even beyond this, these manufacturers and firmware devs make products/software that can do what they say, the hardware driver, which is what they build around, is what is at fault here, so you may need to go to Atheros' forums and make threats there, though i HIGHLY doubt you'll even get any kind of reply over it. And this would apply no matter what lawyers see it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah.

The whole thing is silly

Why release a product, cover its box in advertising that the code it ships with can not match, via the gimping of software, no matter what the hardware can or can't do?

A simple boot script is all the stock DD firmware needs. if they stuck that in the manual as a (use at your own risk power output setting), they'd cover their base, the fcc's base, and the advanced user base.
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, how hard would it be to code a form for "set_txpowercap" into the GUI and solve the issue once and for all. for this and all other atheros based routers?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why would that need to be added? If you hadn't already figured out, changing the dBm and txpower does nothing for this but change the numbers in the status.

You seem to not be reading, this has to do with a WIRELESS DRIVER. So it really doesn't matter what code feature you put in dd-wrt, the atheros driver isn't up to par! Its not going to let you change the transmit power. Something i feel you should take up with Atheros, now how hard would that be? hrmm...

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or get the WNDR3700(v1). 22dBm on ath0 (HT40), 27dBm on ath0 (HT20) and 24dBm on ath1.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

davethebossman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Holy depressing, buddee. I'm gonna go put on a dress and listen to Air Supply because of you. My soul feels like a car accident.

Not that i actually know better, but according to chris the ath9k driver is getting there slowly. He also says, despite what some of the hellspawn forum members suggest, that dd-wrt has not given up on ath9k.

buddee, dd-wrt wouldn't exist if major manufacturers did it right. I know you know this, so why suggest the OP "take it up with Atheros"? If you were my friend i would break your car windshield in a loving manner. But instead i will say... relax and be more supportive of Frustrated Forum Member Syndrome (FFMS).

And blackomegax... i think we should be friends in real life. Not internet life. Your word choices are like poetry to the trained eye. Keep keepin it real.

Dave!
blackomegax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ran the same 50 foot 2.4 band test with tx "reporting" as 30 in the gui.

-80 average when no clients attached, -50 with one at 50 feet.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: