Repeater-Bridge Fail on DIR-600

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
luis84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Repeater-Bridge Fail on DIR-600 Reply with quote
Hello All,

I am attempting to use my DIR-600 to act as a repeater bridge for my other ActionTek router. The DIR-600 is DD-WRT enabled, latest release for it, etc.

I followed the WIKI to setup the R-B mode and got through it. I changed the IP address to 192.168.1.2. I apply settings. Relaunch http://192.168.1.2 in my browser. All is fine. So I REBOOT the router to finish per instructions.

Once the DIR-600 reboots...... all lights are green, it indicates it's powered on, wifi is working and LAN is working.

If I plug the LAN cable into my PC, the PC says identifying network and never connects nor obtains an IP. If I try to connect via WiFi with my devices they get stuck at "Obtaining IP" and / or fail to connect.

If I try to connect with my Ubuntu laptop is just says "Network disconnected" after a few seconds.

What could be the cause of this? I have reset it and retried from scratch several times.

Thank you...
Sponsor
luis84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Since it refused to work in Bridge Repeater mode for me I decided to just use repeater, since technically that is all I need.

I set it up, pick a different subnet and now my laptop connects fine to it. It also allows me to get the DDRWRT GUI. If I hit status, Wireless and go to Site Survey i can see the router I want to repeat.

It shows it is connected to a Access Point yet the MAC Address is NOT CORRECT. My primary router does NOT show it connected. if I tell it to join my primary router it says it did yet never does.

The mac showing up is of no known device and there is only 1 wireless signal here, my own. So I have no idea.

I can ping anything in the 192.168.2.x subet on the new repeater but it has 0 contact with the original router.

All security is turned off no wep no WPA for testing and channel is auto, mode is mixed.

Any ideas?
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
where are you from??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
USA but I live in El Salvador, why ?
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought that you were portuguese or brazilian ( luis )...nevermind. Anyway... just do Factory reset/Reset to Defaults in the GUI and change then to Repeater Mode, when you hit save the Wan Port and the DHCP Server will be disabled by default,all the Led's in the panel will be green, and that's it.This mode works as "transparent mode" when you check your main AP the only MAc that you will see there is yours laptop wireless mac, even the IP is supplied from the Main AP not from DIR600.If you want access to DD-WRT in the DIR600 over LAN ports ( ethernet cable), you must use/setup your PC to a static IP otherwise you will never get connected.In the Repeater Mode the DIR600 connects to the main AP and in the panel the Power Led changes from green to orange/yellow when the Wan Port gets an IP, in this mode your laptop will get an IP from DIR600 not from AP but if you check the Main AP you see there the DIR600 Mac.You didn't mention which build you are running.

Best Regards,
Jorge Silva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha! I am actually Italian but yes, Luis is a common Brazilian and Latino name also.

Anyway, good advice Jorge... you know, I did what you said, FACTORY RESET.... (30-30-30)

I then go in, set repeater mode, set the SSID to same as my AP and the channel to the same. I save it and then reboot router.

My devices now connect to the new Repeater (using same SSID as AP).

Issue: None of them have internet connectivity.

No security enabled. I go to "Site Survey" to be sure, and my AP is listed, good signal. I can hit join but it does not ever make a difference.

So All clients connected to Repeater now do not have internet.

If they connect to AP they do.

Is there another setting I need to change? I really appreciate your help on this!

Build is 14144.... the confirmed one to work with Repeater on DIR-600. Should I use a diff build?
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just make an upgrade for build 15778, and see what happens.

Regards
Jorge Silva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will upgrade today and post results...

Thanks......... Smile
luis84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jorge I got it working thank you.

The key was the build you specific. I upgraded, set the settings per your instructions.

Rebooted router- NOTHING.

So I went to Site Survey, found my other router, hit join, hit APPLY SETTINGS and voila. It's working.

Speed is good too. About 80% of what it is normally, I know it's suppose to cut to 50 percent blah blah but it isn't.
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK. Luis i am from El Salvador and i cant find the firmware Jorge Silva says build 15778, i know the way to do the link-sys wrt300n ver 1.00 as a repeater bridge but not the D-link 600. Could you sent me the firmware via email byeraom@hotmail.com please.

Sorry by my English.

Could anybody help me.
Jorge Silva
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just follow this link : http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2010%2F

Regards
Jorge Silva

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
thats really incredible, I am amazing
thanks for the link. i will try it tonight.

Just tell me, do i have to do the same that the guide says in section repeater bridge or just repeater?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater

In other words do you have a different guide?

I really appreciate your help on this!

best regards
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Andersen.
I really appreciate your help on this!

best regards.
bye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
But I cant connect My second router D-Link 600 Ver. B1

via client repeater, repeater, or repeater Bridge.
I follow the wiki.

best regards.
scott1981
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jorge Silva wrote:
Just make an upgrade for build 15778, and see what happens.

Regards
Jorge Silva

Hi Jorge, does this build also allow for normal Repeater mode to work? I currently have an old build and I am planning on upgrading to the one you mentioned as I cannot get my dir 600 to work as a repeater (wireless client, not bridged).
Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: