WRT350N Internal pictures & Help with debrick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:29    Post subject: WRT350N Internal pictures & Help with debrick Reply with quote
Well from my thread a couple weeks ago, I bricked my WRT350N. I got a helpful PM stating that a max 232 converter can be connected to reflash my router. It seems this model won't recover via the TFTP method. I believe I found the correct location for a connection but need help on getting the correct converter, and making sure I get what is needed to connect to the board.
So please help me out if you can :)

Now on to the pictures.

Pry up in the two back corners, and on both sides

This shows what your prying up

Now pull the cover towards the back to loosen up the front hold downs

Repeat for the bottom, start by pulling on the feet and turning them sideways

Pinch the holders as indicated below and work the front cover off

Front cover off

Top cover off

Closer up pic of top off

What I believe is the connectors for this unit. I supposed I need to get some board stand off connector pins and solder them here. I am assuming it's the ones on the left?

Close up of the ports

Close up of the ports

Board pulled up and showing the bottom side of the board.
To get it off you will need to pull on the back somewhat to free the ports from the back plate. The board is stuck down with some doubled sided sticky foam. It's not too sticky though.

Closer up on bottom side. There are three screws here that I thought held on the upper plate. However this is not what you need to do. Please see the next picture.

Unscrew the 3 clear plastic screws to remove the top cover. It will take extra pulling as there is more doublesided sticky foam between the cover and the PCMCIA card.

Cover off the top of the PCB.

picture with top cover and PCB.

PCMCIA card removed from board

PCMCIA card

I also took the liberty of including the high rez versions in a zip file for anyone wanting more resolution. Also I do not mind to include higher resolutions of specific areas as requested.
http://www.ezekial.net/stuff/WRT350N/WRT350N_insides.zip
Sponsor
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
NICE JOB!!! Thank you for posting this. I was reluctant to open up mine not knowing all the fastener locations.
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a million !!!!!!! Smile

This confirms that the antennas are soldered on the PCMCIA card even in the shipping version.. which is very VERY lame of Linksys. Oh well i'm gonna wait for their WRT600N to come out.. maybe they've changed their mind by then.

Adi
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
NP guys.
glad to contribute what little I can back

still looking for some assistance on the port connection

I suppose I use a comport pin connection on the 2 row connection to the left below. In this case one row would be 5 pins while the other is 4. There are 6 on each row of the board.

Now if this is the correct one; I assume I would put the 5 starting from pin one and then the four centered above it (below on the picture). Is this correct?
also looking at what I should buy exactly for a 232 converter setup. I have done some looking online and have some good leads, but would like some good help from people with more experience than my none :D

docinthebox
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try posting at openwrt forum as well.

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewforum.php?id=1
deedee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 20:26    Post subject: Any update ? Reply with quote
I think JB1 is a JTAG connector , and JB3 is the serial connector. The only problem is, that I don't know which pins refer to which connections. I have found JTAG pinout

Linksys 12pin JTAG

nTRST 1 2 GND
TDI 3 4 GND
TDO 5 6 GND
TMS 7 8 GND
TCK 9 10 GND
nSRST 11 12 GND

Anything like this for the serial connection ?

PS> I have been warned that max232 might not work. Anyone can confirm / deny this ?
Ezekial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:54    Post subject: Re: Any update ? Reply with quote
deedee wrote:
I think JB1 is a JTAG connector , and JB3 is the serial connector. The only problem is, that I don't know which pins refer to which connections. I have found JTAG pinout

Linksys 12pin JTAG

nTRST 1 2 GND
TDI 3 4 GND
TDO 5 6 GND
TMS 7 8 GND
TCK 9 10 GND
nSRST 11 12 GND

Anything like this for the serial connection ?

PS> I have been warned that max232 might not work. Anyone can confirm / deny this ?

awesome

thanks for the help
I have been lazy and not done anything with this bricked unit yet. Brainslayer recommended using a USB phone cable to do this. I have been just way to lazy and been putting it off. I will look for this soon and start on this....
thing is though, this is my FIRST experience in the matter so I am not going to be a great source for help.
meex
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
repect!

nice thanks a lot!
k0mpresd
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
adisor19 wrote:
This confirms that the antennas are soldered on the PCMCIA card even in the shipping version.. which is very VERY lame of Linksys.

i can confirm that my wrt150n is the same way

antennas soldered to the board

there are plugs for antennas in the traces before making it to the soldered points

also..i can confirm that certain usb data cables for phones use a max232 (3.3v) signal...i have one for a siemens phone hooked up to my xbox360 running 3.3v Smile
maddes.b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 20:15    Post subject: A picture of an opened WRT350N v2 Reply with quote
Just want to add a picture of a WRT350N v2 to show the difference.
A high-res picture is available at http://ftp.maddes.net/hardware/WRT350Nv2/
J5 (right side, middle) is the serial port, the pin layout of the molex connector is posted at http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=60299#p60299

Regards
Maddes

WRT350Nv2_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.51 KB
 Viewed:  50688 Time(s)

WRT350Nv2_small.jpg

Last edited by maddes.b on Sat Apr 03, 2010 16:59; edited 1 time in total
demos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's a pre-production unit.

on the hi res WRT350N_inside_18.jpg, there's a sticker under the wireless pcmcia card on main pcb printed in Chinese said it's a pre-production unit.
GLO
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ezekial wrote:
NP guys.
glad to contribute what little I can back

still looking for some assistance on the port connection

I suppose I use a comport pin connection on the 2 row connection to the left below. In this case one row would be 5 pins while the other is 4. There are 6 on each row of the board.

Now if this is the correct one; I assume I would put the 5 starting from pin one and then the four centered above it (below on the picture). Is this correct?
also looking at what I should buy exactly for a 232 converter setup. I have done some looking online and have some good leads, but would like some good help from people with more experience than my none :D

Hi,

Thanks for posting this guide to opening the WRT350N.
I have bricked mine trying to load chillifire fw after having DD-WRT mini v24 on it last week.

What i want to know now is, how did you you add pins to the JTAG or how did you hold them in place for the duration of the recovery?

Thanks
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to solder a header in place. If you search for solder and header, you should get some guidance on the process. Can be a bit tricky, if you aren't used to it.

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
GLO
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks,

I have found some tips.

Do you know whether the WRT350N needs 3.3V or 5V JTAG?

Idealy i'd like to use a USB JTAG (which i have found, or can make with a Nokia DKU-5 cable.

Please let me know asap if you can.

Cheers
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
GLO wrote:
Thanks,

I have found some tips.

Do you know whether the WRT350N needs 3.3V or 5V JTAG?

Idealy i'd like to use a USB JTAG (which i have found, or can make with a Nokia DKU-5 cable.

Please let me know asap if you can.

Cheers

No idea. I have never seen a working USB jtag...

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: