VLANs on WRT310n

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tippafew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:22    Post subject: VLANs on WRT310n Reply with quote
I am trying to configure a separate and isolated vlan on port 4 of a wrt310n running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini. I followed the GUI Tutorial posted at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_%28Separate_Networks_With_Internet%29 to the letter, but still do not have a separate VLAN on port 4. I configured everything using the GUI

Under the VLANs tab I have:
VLAN 0 - no ports assigned - Assigned to Bridge None
VLAN 1 - ports 1,2 and 3 - Assigned to Bridge LAN
VLAN 2 - WAN - Assigned to Bridge None
VLAN 3 - port 4 - Assigned to Bridge None

Under the Networking tab I have:
WAN Port Assignment - vlan2
Network Configuration eth0 - Default
Network Configuration eth1 - Default
Network Configuration etherip0 - Default
Network Configuration vlan1 - Default
Network Configuration vlan3 - Unbridged
MTU - 1500
Multicast forwarding - Disable
Masquerade/NAT - Disable
IP Address for vlan 3 - 10.10.100.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Multiple DHCP Server
Interface vlan3: IP 10.10.100.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP 0 - vlan3 On - Start 10 - Max 150 - Leasetime 3600

I then entered the following under the Administration/Commands tab:

'iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan3 -j DROP'

and clicked on 'Save Firewall'. The command shows up successfully under the 'Firewall' section on the 'Commands' tab.

I rebooted the router by unplugging the power source. I did not do any sort of Reset.

I then attach a Windows machine into port 4 of the WRT310n and set the NIC on the Windows machine to DHCP - I get a 192.168.x.x address from my main (VLAN 1) network but was expecting a 10.10.100.x address from the VLAN 3 DHCP server.

I have spent many hours combing the forums and Googling anything and everything I can think of but I am still missing something obvious I'm sure. For the life of me I can't see what it is - can anyone spot the mistake and help out a newbie?
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17    Post subject: Re: VLANs on WRT310n Reply with quote
tippafew wrote:
I am trying to configure a separate and isolated vlan on port 4 of a wrt310n running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini. I followed the GUI Tutorial posted at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Detached_Networks_%28Separate_Networks_With_Internet%29 to the letter, but still do not have a separate VLAN on port 4. I configured everything using the GUI

Under the VLANs tab I have:
VLAN 0 - no ports assigned - Assigned to Bridge None
VLAN 1 - ports 1,2 and 3 - Assigned to Bridge LAN
VLAN 2 - WAN - Assigned to Bridge None
VLAN 3 - port 4 - Assigned to Bridge None

Under the Networking tab I have:
WAN Port Assignment - vlan2
Network Configuration eth0 - Default
Network Configuration eth1 - Default
Network Configuration etherip0 - Default
Network Configuration vlan1 - Default
Network Configuration vlan3 - Unbridged
MTU - 1500
Multicast forwarding - Disable
Masquerade/NAT - Disable
IP Address for vlan 3 - 10.10.100.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Multiple DHCP Server
Interface vlan3: IP 10.10.100.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP 0 - vlan3 On - Start 10 - Max 150 - Leasetime 3600

I then entered the following under the Administration/Commands tab:

'iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o vlan3 -j DROP'

and clicked on 'Save Firewall'. The command shows up successfully under the 'Firewall' section on the 'Commands' tab.

I rebooted the router by unplugging the power source. I did not do any sort of Reset.

I then attach a Windows machine into port 4 of the WRT310n and set the NIC on the Windows machine to DHCP - I get a 192.168.x.x address from my main (VLAN 1) network but was expecting a 10.10.100.x address from the VLAN 3 DHCP server.

I have spent many hours combing the forums and Googling anything and everything I can think of but I am still missing something obvious I'm sure. For the life of me I can't see what it is - can anyone spot the mistake and help out a newbie?

What i bolded, is the mistake, the 14xxx series didn't have support for webgui config VLANs w/ gigabit units. You'd have to upgrade to 15508 or better before the webgui configs will work for VLANs with that unit.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
tippafew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56    Post subject: Recommend a build? Reply with quote
Thanks buddee.

Could you recommend a particular build and post a link to the download that would work on my WRT310n v1? Much appreciated!
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually k2.4 builds still don't have working GUI's for gigabit models. If you want to use k2.4 builds then you must use the nvram variables to configure VLAN's.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports

If you use a k2.6 build 15508 or higher then the GUI should probably work but I'm not sure if anyone has tested it on the wrt310n.

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah yes phuzi0n then i stand humbly corrected. Embarassed

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
tippafew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to both for your responses, it is sincerely appreciated.
novama
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
tippafew:
What did you do at the end? How did you solved your situation?

Did you try one of the k2.6 build on the wrt310n, or did you go on nvram variables?

( ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15508/ )

Regards
tippafew
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I could not get this to work so I purchased a Cisco managed switch instead.
Shoreguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
If you use a k2.6 build 15508 or higher then the GUI should probably work but I'm not sure if anyone has tested it on the wrt310n.

Tested, and has been working via GUI with various 155xx and without GUI since around 14929 (ish). My wife's company wanted her to install all kinds of keys on her laptops with various boot OS'. I didn't feel like working that hassle, so I just set her node (4 port switch off port 4 of the AP in my sig).
I don't recall exactly when I set up the vpn, but its been going for at least six months now. Wished I'd seen this thread earlier.

Motorola SB6121

e4200v1
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shoreguy wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

Tested, and has been working via GUI with various 155xx and without GUI since around 14929 (ish). My wife's company wanted her to install all kinds of keys on her laptops with various boot OS'. I didn't feel like working that hassle, so I just set her node (4 port switch off port 4 of the AP in my sig).
I don't recall exactly when I set up the vpn, but its been going for at least six months now. Wished I'd seen this thread earlier.

Well that's good news but I have some bad news. Unfortunately the new wireless driver for k2.6 builds currently has had support for corerev's under 16 removed so you might not be able to use k2.6 builds in the future. The switch-robo update from r15507 should be able to work fine in the k2.4 kernel too but Eko only updated it in the k2.6 tree, so I'll ask him to fix it.

Shoreguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
just another reason to upgrade to (3) e4200's or other... The 310s have been nice little engines, once I added the 3rd party power supplies, but I've been designing my 'reasons' for a household capitol expenditure. That news should push the budgeting into high gear Wink
Motorola SB6121

e4200v1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: