Asus RT-N12 intermittent connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 16:47    Post subject: Asus RT-N12 intermittent connection Reply with quote
I just bought an Asus RT-N12 to replace a Linksys BEFSR41. I installed dd-wrt on it right away. First I used the special image for initial flashing, then i flashed the generic mini over it.

Now to my problem, the internet on this router is significantly slower than the Linksys was. I'm using a wired connection, but wireless is also slow (i'm 3 feet away from the router). I'm using this in a college dorm, so the ethernet cable that comes into the room and goes to the WAN port on the router probably comes from another router. I set dd-wrt to Gateway mode and turned on the DHCP server because I have multiple devices connected to it and the ethernet port coming into the room only assigns one IP address.

The internet is not always slow, sometimes (rarely) it will quickly load a page, other times Safari will be stuck on "Connecting to google.com" for example for a very long time.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by fiftyfour123 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 16:24; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be more specific about your throughput because "slow" doesn't really tell us anything.
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's not really speed that's the issue, it's more like an unstable connection. When I can get onto a website, the connection will be as fast as is expected. But most of the time I can't even load a page, it will just be stuck on "Contacting to google.com" or whatever website i'm try to load.
Tweener
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now it would be a good idea to read the forum announcements. There is a good chance that you will spot a solution to your issue, and if not it will tell you the info you need to post to get meaningful help.
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried a 30-30-30 reset. That didn't work, I also tried flashing to the stock Asus firmware, and i'm still having the same problem. So it looks like it's not an issue with dd-wrt.
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried tomato also and had the same problem. Now I'm back to DD-WRT. I used dd-wrt.v24-14289_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx to flash it and I'm still having the same problem. Anyone know what's going on?

EDIT: I also noticed that with my old linksys router (which works fine) in my network settings i see the DNS servers and search domain that are provided by my ISP, while with the Asus router I see the address of the router as the DNS server and the search domain is blank. Could this be part of the problem?
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone?
Tweener
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Announcements-Recommended builds.
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, now I'm running dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx

I'm still having the same problem. My web browser always hangs on Contacting...
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
It sounds like it might be a bad ISP DNS server. Try specifying your own DNS servers like opendns (see the wiki) or google's DNS.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-N12 intermittent connection Reply with quote
fiftyfour123 wrote:
...the ethernet cable that comes into the room and goes to the WAN port on the router probably comes from another router. I set dd-wrt to Gateway mode and turned on the DHCP server because I have multiple devices connected to it and the ethernet port coming into the room only assigns one IP address.

Reset your router to factory defaults by pushing the reset button for 10 seconds while it is powered on. Unplug and then re-plug the power and wait a minute for it to boot up. Then test internet operation / performance before logging back into it.

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
It sounds like it might be a bad ISP DNS server. Try specifying your own DNS servers like opendns (see the wiki) or google's DNS.

Didn't work, same problem.

GeeTek wrote:
Reset your router to factory defaults by pushing the reset button for 10 seconds while it is powered on. Unplug and then re-plug the power and wait a minute for it to boot up. Then test internet operation / performance before logging back into it.

Didn't work either, same problem as well.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you removed the router from the equation to see if it's the college network that's causing it?
fiftyfour123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
Have you removed the router from the equation to see if it's the college network that's causing it?

Yes, everything works as expected connecting through my old Linksys BEFSR41. It also works fine when I load the RT-N12 with the stock firmware and select the option to link my LAN port with the WAN port.
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
If, as you surmise at the top of the thread, there is a DHCP server upstream of your dorm room, then you don't really need your own DHCP server at all. Consider using the router purely as a switch. You can connect the ethernet source to one of the LAN terminals, and your other devices to the other LANs. They should each get their own addresses assigned by the upstream router.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: