File sharing across subnets

discmeister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 18:36    Post subject: File sharing across subnets Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've got dd-wrt set up on both my AP router - a D-Link DIR-615 - and a WRT54G that's connected to my PC in a different room.

Ultimately I want to buy another DIR-615 cheap and use it to give the PC internet access, and to allow other computers connected to the AP to file share with it. But I know the DIR-615 can't do client bridging, only client mode, so I've been experimenting with the WRT54G to see how that works.

Right now my access point is 192.168.1.1 and I have the Client WRT54G set up with a WAN IP of 192.168.1.113 and its own IP of 192.168.2.1. Sure enough, it dishes out an IP address of 192.168.2.121 to the PC, allowing it Internet access. I can also access 192.168.1.1 to look at the DIR-615's web interface from the PC, incidentally.

However, I'm completely stumped on how to get the Windows 7 PC sharing files with the other machines (all of which are on the 192.168.1.x subnet, and one of which is a Mac running Snow Leopard).

Can anyone help, or point me in the direction of a genuine idiot's guide on how to do this?

Thanks in advance - and a quick nod to those who code dd-wrt. It's breathed new life into at least a couple of my old routers that were considered pretty much useless...

Kind regards,

Discy
Sponsor
discmeister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi again everyone,

Right, this now appears to work. But I'm not exactly sure how.

I did some serious Googling and worked out that I needed to specify a static route back from the WRT54G - the router in my study - to the AP D-Link router.

This improved things slightly with pinging etc. Then I set the WRT54G to be a Rip2 router, turned off its DHCP server (so there's only one, on the AP) and... precisely nothing seemed to change.

Then, as a last resort, I turned off Windows Firewall completely. And suddenly, when I type in the full IP address of the PC in my study into a 'connect to server' prompt in OS X 10.6, it works.

Will experiment further and get back. If anyone else is struggling with this and I can help, just post below and I'll try to assist. But as I say, I'm not exactly sure what I did to make it happen...

Discy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: