Wifi works, but switch won't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
prdufresne
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48    Post subject: Wifi works, but switch won't. Reply with quote
I have a strange symptom with my router. The router seems to boot fine, and the wifi works, but none of the wired network connections will work. I can't get the wan or lan ports to respond to pings or anything else, yet I can access the web gui and telnet through the wifi.

I'm guessing there's a module that should be loaded or a process that should be running that isn't for some reason. Any suggestion on where I should start with troubleshooting?

Perhaps a missing driver?

the router in question is a WRT54G v5.

ThanX

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What mode do you happen to have this setup as? an AP, repeater, wap etc.?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
prdufresne
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The router is in "router" mode, not gateway and the Wifi is in AP mode and should be bridged with the LAN ports.

I should have also mentioned I'm running build 15493.

ThanX!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have some new information. It seems that the VLAN interfaces don't exist. when I run ifconfig it doesn't list vlan0 and vlan1.

So it seems that I'm missing VLAN support, or the VLAN configurations aren't be executed in the init script.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most i could suggest in this matter is to either rollback to a build like the forum recommended 14929 micro and hard reset the unit and try again or just hard reset it as is and try, beyond that it could be hardware failure.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
prdufresne
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you're recommending a 30/30/30. I'll give that a try this morning.

ThanX.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, the 30/30/30 reset didn't change anything.

This is so frustrating, because when I boot with micro, everything works fine, but when I boot with mini everything works except the switch.

I'm so close to getting this working, I can taste it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
prdufresne wrote:
Okay, the 30/30/30 reset didn't change anything.

This is so frustrating, because when I boot with micro, everything works fine, but when I boot with mini everything works except the switch.

I'm so close to getting this working, I can taste it!

A WRT54G v5 has only 2MB of flash and can only use micro build!
I don't even understand how you managed to get a mini build into the router Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I boot the mini build from the SD/MMC slot.

The strange part is that if I put the micro build on the SD/MMC, it boots fine and everything works, but when I put the mini build onto the MMC, it won't access the switch.

I've tried mini, std, std-nokaid-nohotspot-nostor and they all exhibit the same inability to access the switch.

Like I said earlier in the thread, everything else works. I can access the mini GUI and I've even managed to enable and connect using PPTP. I just can't get the switch to work.

Is there a way to get a boot log?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's undoubtedly an issue with VLAN support as I am able to add eth0 to br0 from the web interface and get the LAN interfaces to work, but still no WAN.

Since the LAN is VLAN 0, it would be untagged allowing it to work without VLAN support.

Unless I'm mistaken, eth0 on the SoC is wired to port 5 (internal port) of the switch. So it would seem that the router is not able to enable the vlan interfaces.

I'm assuming there's a driver or module for that, but when I compare the lsmod from micro to lsmod from mini, they both appear to have the same modules loaded.

Navigation

Jump to: