DNSMasq problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Towelie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 0:37    Post subject: DNSMasq problem Reply with quote
Well, first: i am using an "Linksys WRT350N" v1 with "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/26/10) std-nokaid-usb - build 15508M NEWD Eko" with an Win7x64 Client and tried setting up DNSMasq according to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server .

But whenever I ad "domain=*mydomainname*" (without "/* and the name is replaced) to "Additional DNSMasq Options" I won't be able to resolve names. So did something change in the newer builds or am I doing wrong? See below linked screens for settings. Btw. changing DNS Rebind didn't help. And i did restart router and client (inkl. flushdns, dis/reenabling adapter) whenever I changed settings.

http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/17743/86e8jo5b_jpg.htm
http://s1.directupload.net/file/u/17743/vpqevlgq_jpg.htm

Last edited by Towelie on Fri Nov 12, 2010 13:15; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Towelie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noone got an idea what's causing this or what i could try out? It seems!? Or else: how can i verify it might be working now without domain?
Towelie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
*push*
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just give an unedited screenshot with the real domain name and tell us what you're trying to accomplish. Don't be paranoid and impatient and most of all... don't turn it into a quest for the ones that may be willing to help you (or wordgame).

dnsmasq has not been updated for a long time and will not be because of some reason I can't recall right now.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Towelie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, i don't think it's hard to simply think of any domain name that has no forbidden chars or may be used anywhere as variable but here you are: http://s10.directupload.net/file/u/17743/vjiuchgq_png.htm .

As the first link above to the wiki shows i'm simply trying to set DNSMasq as DHCP Server (i wouldn't need the space, but it's advantage of DNS adaption for DHCP clients sounds nice). And there isn't much I could have tried out - to me it seems it should work but as i said - as soon, as i do add
Code:
domain=FileNW

to "Additional DNSMasq Options":

- I get trash DHCP Releases (168.254.x.x Network without gateway, Subnet/DNS is OK)
- Manual connections of hosts will resolve names but only in LAN (I can ping other manual clients too but they will be resolved with IPv6 -normally its IPv4- and the router is still resolved in IPv4 - ping to WAN-IP works also, just not DNS)
- DHCP Release by provider (so DHCP Client on Router) seems to work correctly (else i couldn't ping an WAN-IP)
- Clients connected by DHCP won't show up anywhere on LAN Tab
- Clients connected manually will show up under "Active Clients" with "hostname.domainname"
- "Without the domain-option" DHCP and WAN works, they show up under Active & DHCP Clients but under DHCP Clients only as "hostname"
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then don't put it in!

Just fill in LAN Domain FileNW and your LAN-domain is set. It wil write 'domain=FileNW' into your dnsmasq.conf.

If you put that into your additional options as well, it's possible the thing goes berserk. I don't know, I rarely experiment with wrong settings.

You are probably confused by the webif which make DHCP and DNSMasq a seperate section. It is DHCP not DHCPd. These settings belong to DNSMasq as well if you make DNSMasq your DHCP-server...

Code:
cat /tmp/dnsmasq.conf

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Towelie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your answer. Well, it's ok to me if i don't need that line. I checked now with your command and you're right: the line has already been inserted without adding it to DNSMaq Options. And if I do add it it's written twice.

So i believe the wiki http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DNSMasq_as_DHCP_server telling "domain=whateverisyourdomainname is nessacary under DNSMasq Add Options for the command expand-hosts to work" is wrong?

Or it has something to do with the option Used domain. When i set it to WAN (as not written but shown in the screen in the wiki) and add the domain under DNSMasq options it's been added twice for sure - once with my ISP's domain and once with my local domain. But still - i tested it and i do get same results so I am wondering how it could have worked for those who wrote the update (and it has been updated twice - first time on 31 August 2010 - so not that long time ago)

Anyway the best/cleanest solution would be to set Used domain as LAN/WLAN and the domainname under DHCP Server\LAN domain - nothing under DNSMasq Options, nor? And someone would need to update the wiki - i could do it but would need someone to verify my result/may explain how the actual wiki could have worked.

EDIT: Has been added now - still both requests above are relevant!
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 14:13    Post subject: DNSMasq manual read and still having issues. Reply with quote
As I understand it, if everything is set properly with the DNSMasq, a person can resolve their local host names to their IP. In other words, I should be able to ping my host name and the associated IP should resolve. Now in my case, I have my desktop's on a static ip outside of the DHCP scope. They show up in the status field as clients, but host name is blank.

Also, pinging host names comes back with something like fe80:9ab ... rather than an IP.

I have set Used Domain as Lan & Wan.

I have entered a Lan domain name. "Test"

DNSMasq and Local DNS are enable.

Additional DNSMasq Options:

local=/Test/
expand-hosts

address=/Themus/172.20.100.50 - sample

Would someone please tell me what I have set wrong. I've read "DNSMasq as DHCP server" as well as related posts. Seems I am close.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
you dont need to fill anything in the advanced options field. just add your static ips as static leases.
Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for responding. I actually thought of that too at one time. But with that you brought up a question in my mind concerning DNSMasq.

If in order for the DNS portion to work you follow this syntax in the Additional DNSMasq Options:

address=/hostname/ip

you would have to know the IP was always the same. Hence, it would have to be static anyway.

I was hoping dd-wrt on my router would give me something like a DNS server for my local LAN with it set to DHCP.

This probably does work but I am missing something more likely.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Themus wrote:

I was hoping dd-wrt on my router would give me something like a DNS server for my local LAN with it set to DHCP.

That will work anyways, just manually configured devices need be added as static entry.

clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am going to add my desktops as you suggested.

Still if the syntax is address=/hostname/ip for DNSMasq to work, it would seem that would necessitate all static ip's.

In most cases, unless you have a lease forever, those IP's are going to expire and change.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Themus wrote:
I am going to add my desktops as you suggested.

Still if the syntax is address=/hostname/ip for DNSMasq to work, it would seem that would necessitate all static ip's.

In most cases, unless you have a lease forever, those IP's are going to expire and change.

as i said, ALL DHCP CONFIGURED IPs (no matter if static entry or not) ARE AUTOMATICALLY ADDED TO DNS.

Themus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sincerely excuse my ignorance if I am failing to make the connection. But if they are automatically entered into the DNS {DHCP or Static} how come under the Services tab, Active Clients, my static desktops show Host Name with an * asterisk only.
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
that happens if the client didnt send a hostname in its dhcp request.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: