DD-WRT on Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 (N+)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
thebudman420 wrote:

i put the file renamed to uImage and another named uImage.bin just in case in the /var/lib/tftpboot directory then connected computer to 1st eithernet port on router then powered up the router after i did the watch -n0 ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.3 thing witch set my ip to 10.10.10.3 but no go?

I have downloaded the stock firmware from Belkin and can see that it is not as simple as I first thought.

You have to cut off the first 19 bytes of the file with an hex editor so that it starts with 27 05 19 56.

This U-Boot version is not looking for uImage, it is looking for a file named test.bin so that is what you have to save the edited files as.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
thebudman420 wrote:

i put the file renamed to uImage and another named uImage.bin just in case in the /var/lib/tftpboot directory then connected computer to 1st eithernet port on router then powered up the router after i did the watch -n0 ifconfig eth0 10.10.10.3 thing witch set my ip to 10.10.10.3 but no go?

I have downloaded the stock firmware from Belkin and can see that it is not as simple as I first thought.

You have to cut off the first 19 bytes of the file with an hex editor so that it starts with 27 05 19 56.

This U-Boot version is not looking for uImage, it is looking for a file named test.bin so that is what you have to save the edited files as.

I went ahead and cut the first 19 bytes off and that's what i confirmed i have 27 05 19 56 then saved to test.bin but i wanted to wait to make sure this is what i should do before proceeding so i don't totally brick it for sure lol. But thanks for all your info guys im learning new stuff as i go Smile
thebudman420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
thebudman420 wrote:
anyway we can fix this with just a dd-wrt firmware update?

Yes it is possible to load a revert firmware via wifi but Brainslayer has to do that file or I can do it as soon as I can see which header structure he is using.
I can guess that it is a usual dd-wrt HDR0 followed by the U-Boot header but I rather don't do a file without having the header structure for an update file confirmed.

Or Brainslayer could do an update file with the 8366SR driver instead of the 8366RB driver.
An update file for the 8366SR would be nice but until then i would settle for a revert firmware, Either that or i can take the risk and try the test.bin thing you mentioned?.
DanaG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's possible that Ubuntu just doesn't start tftpd by default -- check in /etc/default/ for a file with a relevant name.

I'm still having trouble with the thing... Even on wired, I can't even connect to it's IP address. I'll have to grab serial console tomorrow.

Also, the LED behavior is odd... Shows radio waves coming off of an unlit "router" icon.
I also found the GPIOs for USB, modem, router, and Internet LEDs.
One of the LEDs is at 23, and there are plenty of GPIOs that seem to do nothing, and I can't seem to find the GPIOs for the throbber LEDs. If you want to explore GPIOs, note that 7 is USB power, and 10 is reset button. Don't touch either of those!

Any chance of getting /sys/class/leds support?

Should I make a bug report for the switch settings not working, or is it too early?

P.S.:
Quote:
Mistake! There was an attempt of an automatic insert of the message in a forum. Your message is not posted. Try still times who knows - can it will turn out? Still probably, that you too long wrote the message - then pass to page back, copy the text, update page, insert the copied text and press button "Send".
[/quote]
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
tftp-hpa is not the easiest tftp server to set up, one has to edit config and scripts file first.
There is from what I can see no linux gui based tftp servers like tftpd32 for windows.

Here is a revert file which should work, unpack the binary from the rar archive and upload it via wireless to dd-wrt firmware upgrade gui page.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks...I'll try the revert to see if it works.

Edit: Cool...it worked. I guess I'll have to wait for the other version that works with this switch.

Thanks again.
omniterm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have version v2110 and it has the SR chip. Is there any way to modify the binary to include the driver for SR or does it have to be compiled from source. is there a different Firmware I can flash that supports both RT3052F and RTL8366SR and would work on this router.
Altarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
This firmware seems a bit hit and miss.

It loaded fine onto my F5D8235-4 v2, and seemed to work OK to start with.

However it seems to randomly drop the internet connection (which rebooting sorts out), but keeps the internal network connection even when it has dropped the internet.

It also seems very random whether devices can reconnect to the router, and a factory reset was required eventually to get some reconnected.

I tried to revert back to the Belkin firmware, but it refuses after a couple of seconds with an "Upgrade failed" message.
XVar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Altarf wrote:
This firmware seems a bit hit and miss.

It loaded fine onto my F5D8235-4 v2, and seemed to work OK to start with.

Mine was the same, but after a day or so the dropouts stopped and it seems to be working perfectly. It was dropping non-stop for the first day though.
Altarf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Mine was the same, but after a day or so the dropouts stopped and it seems to be working perfectly. It was dropping non-stop for the first day though.

Thanks, I will give it a couple of days and see how it goes. Mind you since it won't take any other firmware, I don't think I have any option...
Italiandevil05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
omniterm wrote:
I have version v2110 and it has the SR chip. Is there any way to modify the binary to include the driver for SR or does it have to be compiled from source. is there a different Firmware I can flash that supports both RT3052F and RTL8366SR and would work on this router.

I'm in the same boat. Hoping it is just an easy fix that one of the hard working people at dd-wrt can do. Gotta say I love dd-wrt and wish I checked to see if this router was compatible when I bought it. Silly me.
buluan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mine version is 2033. I loaded the file and here are the observations:
1. PPPOE doesn't work. I planed to use the flashed router as my main router to connect to my ISP but had to make it my second router, and had my ASUS RT-N13U, which also has DD-WRT flashed, the main router.
2. I have my F5D8235 running on repeater-bridge mode, and RT-N13U running on AP mode. it seems there is interference between the two routers. I get very slow internet connection no matter which SSID I connect to, the package always drop. However if I power off F5D8235, I get much better result. Before I flashed F5D8235, I had F5D8235 running as my main router and RT-N13U running on repeater-bridge mode. It was working very well except one day or two days I had to reboot F5D8235.
3. I cannot see Wireless Channel after I choose Repeater Bridge mode on F5D8235, but in RT-N13U it is there.

Edit: My mistake. I forgot to disable Wireless SSID Broadcast for the first router on RT-N13U. After disable it the connection is running pretty good.

Last edited by buluan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:38; edited 2 times in total
thebudman420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
tftp-hpa is not the easiest tftp server to set up, one has to edit config and scripts file first.
There is from what I can see no linux gui based tftp servers like tftpd32 for windows.

Here is a revert file which should work, unpack the binary from the rar archive and upload it via wireless to dd-wrt firmware upgrade gui page.
Thanks it worked.
prevett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43    Post subject: Flashed my F5D8235-4 V2000 Reply with quote
With the Firmware which Brain provided... so far, it's perfect! 24 hours in and I am so happy to be rid of that crap software which Belkin put on the device!

Is it safe to increase the power on this device from 71mw to say 125mw? I know I've always run my WRT54Gs at 125+ without issue
nielsjeh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

The firmware works beautifully! Thanks for compiling this. Finally I can use this router properly.

Cheers,
Niels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 28
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: