Routers that will and won't support VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
sle118 wrote:
I unsuccessfully tried VLANs on a RT-N16 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/12/10) mini(SVN revision 14594) but this thread the link below and gave me some hope that it could work now...
http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/Asus_RT-N16#vlan_Info

The RT-N16 is running the backend of my gigabit home network and it would be hard for me to do any testing on it.

Were you successful running VLANs on the RT-16N? If so, what version did you use, and how did you do it (GUI vs commands)?

Thank you!

You need build 15508 or higher to use the GUI on that model. You can use the nvram commands explained on the switched ports wiki page on any model/build.

Sponsor
kacole2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
balblas wrote:
I can confirm dot1q trunking works on an E2000 (converted WRT320N) with a Cisco IOS router on the other end of the trunk.

E2000:

vlan1_bridged=1
vlan1_mtu=1500
vlan1_multicast=0
vlan1_nat=1
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan1ports=4t 3 2 1 8*
vlan2_mtu=1500
vlan2hwname=et0
vlan2ports=0 8
vlan3_bridged=1
vlan3_mtu=1500
vlan3_multicast=0
vlan3_nat=1
vlan3hwname=et0
vlan3ports=4t 8

Cisco IOS:

nlxxbro01rt0003#show interfaces fastEthernet 3 switchport
Name: Fa3
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: Disabled
Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 3 (VLAN0003)
Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL
Trunking VLANs Active: 1,3
Protected: false
Priority for untagged frames: 0
Override vlan tag priority: FALSE
Voice VLAN: none
Appliance trust: none

The trick is to make vlan3 (or any other but vlan1) the native vlan on the trunk on the Cisco. By default vlan1 is the native one, but then vlan1 traffic is not passed to the Linksys. I guess the explanation for this is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q#Trunk_Ports_and_the_Native_VLAN but I don't understand why with vlan3 being native on the Cisco IOS router, egress vlan3 packets (which if I understand correctly are not being tagged) are accepted by the Linksys. However, I'm 100% sure that with vlan1 being the native one, vlan1 did not work between the Cisco IOS router and the Linksys.

!
interface FastEthernet3
switchport trunk native vlan 3
switchport mode trunk
!

does anyone know if this is still the only method to get 802.1q trunks to work on the WRT320N? I have an HP ProCurve 1810-8G switch and the native vlan on every port is 1. You do NOT have the ability to change the default vlan from 1 on the HP switch. So i was curious if this router will still be able to do 802.1q trunks connected to this switch.

Thanks in advance!
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kacole2 wrote:
does anyone know if this is still the only method to get 802.1q trunks to work on the WRT320N?

You can use the GUI with build 15508 or higher.

kacole2 wrote:
I have an HP ProCurve 1810-8G switch and the native vlan on every port is 1. You do NOT have the ability to change the default vlan from 1 on the HP switch. So i was curious if this router will still be able to do 802.1q trunks connected to this switch.

Thanks in advance!

This is confusing and the way you describe it is as if the switch doesn't allow any configuration at all... Take it to a new thread and be more clear please.

mhorowitz71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see in this thread that 802.1q tagged vlans should work on the WNR3500L, but I can't get them to. I'm using this build (with kernel 2.6.24.111):

DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 08/12/10 (SVN revision: 14929)

my nvram has this:

vlan1ports=1t 4 8*

after a reboot, port 1 (which is labelled '4' on the back) is on the vlan1 network, but packets are not tagged. I'm not sure what to do next to debug this. Can anybody tell me where I should look next? Thanks!
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
How are you determining that they're not tagged? If you're trying to trunk to another device that uses VLAN 1 as the native VLAN then that device won't be tagging it VLAN 1. If you plug a PC into it without tagging enabled then it shouldn't work, and if you then configure the PC to tag VLAN 1 then it should start working. You could also try tagging another VLAN and testing it.
mhorowitz71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a linux box plugged into the port. tcpdump -e -n -i eth0 shows all the packets from vlan1 coming through with their native (IPv4, ARP, etc) ethertype. I expect to see 802.1Q with a vlan number. If I run tcpdump -e -n -i eth0.1 I see nothing at all.

As you suggested, I set up the port to tag vlan 3:

vlan1ports=4 8*
vlan3ports=1t 3 8

tcpdump now shows me the traffic from hosts on vlan3. If I bring up eth0 manually using an IP valid on that segment, I can communicate with hosts there.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm, in your original configuration was your PC able to communicate in VLAN 1 at all (with or without tagging)?

I did a lot of testing a few months ago which involved a lot of swapping cables around between multiple routers with tagged ports and untagged ports, occasionally there would be inconsistent behavior that would resolve itself by swapping cables around and back... I haven't done any sniffing on a tagged port, but when I connect my PC to a tagged port it isn't able to communicate to the router unless I enable tagging on the PC and set its VLAN ID accordingly.

The subject of native VLAN's (untagged default VLAN on a trunk port) has been coming up lately and you've given me some ideas on how it might be possible.

mhorowitz71
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my first attempt to get tagged vlans working on this network, although I do have experience setting up vlans on a different network with different hardware. I suppose it's possible the hardware is doing something surprising, but I would not expect it to do anything with vlan tags != 1.

I can do some testing later today with another linux box, and see if I can set up a tagged vlan between the two machines.

Is there anything you'd like me to try to test your ideas?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
mhorowitz71 wrote:
Is there anything you'd like me to try to test your ideas?

Nope, I've got a decent variety of hardware to test with and it will involve playing with the nvram variables a lot to see if anything works.

ddwrt@dm.cobite.com
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 19:23    Post subject: VLAN success (so far) on WRT310N Reply with quote
I just installed ddwrt on a WRT310N v1. I'm running "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) vpn" (followed all wiki ins. and peacock etc.).

I had searched for any positive confirmation of VLAN success and found none, and the wiki matrix shows "?" for this router.

I successfully created a second VLAN, with separate subnet and dhcp, on Port 1, leaving Ports 2,3,4,WAN and WLAN as usual.

I configured the VLAN itself via the "nvram set" commands, and set the IP and DHCP options via the "Networking" page in the UI.

I have no iptables as yet between these segments, and everything is working as expected.

Are there any other tests anyone would like to request?

Can we set a "Yes" in the wiki ("VLAN Support") page for "Port-based VLAN"?
scorp588
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Guru's

I've flashed my router WRT320N (converted to E2000 build 15943) with firmware 'dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-vlantest.bin" to test the VLAN functions.

However after rebooting I noticed that blue power LED keep blinking continuously. I could not login to the default IP of 192.168.1.1 anymore. Not sure if I have bricked the router with this update.

Is there any way that I could restore the router?

Any help on this matter is much appreciated
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
scorp588 wrote:
Hi Guru's

I've flashed my router WRT320N (converted to E2000 build 15943) with firmware 'dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-vlantest.bin" to test the VLAN functions.

However after rebooting I noticed that blue power LED keep blinking continuously. I could not login to the default IP of 192.168.1.1 anymore. Not sure if I have bricked the router with this update.

Is there any way that I could restore the router?

Any help on this matter is much appreciated

Yes this is because you converted it to an E2000 and when you flashed "dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-vlantest.bin" whereever thats at, it wasn't an E2000 specific build IE it didn't have E2000 or e2k-e3k in the name, so your unit is bricked, you can try recover with tftp, i've read a very few stories of it being fixed that way, or you can fix it via serial cable, which for me is %100 fix rate results.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also FYI you didn't need to use that test build because the changes already landed in build 15508 and higher. ie. you could have used the VLAN GUI with build 15943 you originally had.

There is still a bug if the WAN type is PPPoE that causes all VLAN settings to be ignored but it can be worked around...

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1930

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

There is still a bug if the WAN type is PPPoE that causes all VLAN settings to be ignored but it can be worked around...

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1930

Yes, i know off post topic but...

Happen to know if this effects 15508, or is this only specific to 15943?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well as I said in the ticket it affected my wrt320n with build 15778 so it probably affects all builds after the GUI fix. There's a good chance that it might not affect builds prior to the GUI fix since without the kernel modules loaded it shouldn't be able to reconfigure VLAN's while it's running, but I don't care to check...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: