Linksys WRT160N V3 CSE31, CSE41, CSE51 Wireless Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
xerose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Linksys WRT160N V3 CSE31, CSE41, CSE51 Wireless Bridge Reply with quote
I have three different Linksys WRT160N V3 Routers running as Wireless Ethernet Bridges using DD-WRT.

I have tried three different recent builds of DD-WRT with the same results.

The CSE31 works with no problems no wireless drop out on any of the three builds of DD-WRT.

The CSE41 and CSE51 both configured the same as the CSE31 with three different DD-WRT builds and the wireless on these two routers drops off after a couple of minutes.

I am ready to try whatever the good smart people here at this forum will have me do to try and fix this problem so that we can all enjoy these good cheep routers with this great firmware!

Thank you
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi...

Here is my idea.. It has been discussed that converting the 160 to an E1000, there is no advantage to it unlike the E2000 & E3000.

However, in your case you may want to consider it to see if it adds any stability. You are the perfect one to do this and report the results as you will have a 160 that is running stable and see if the convert will add stability in the same environment to one of the "unstable" ones.

I'm not home now to check my e1000v1 but I don't think the 160v3 (e1000) has operational jtag so if something goes wrong, the router may be a permanent paper weight.

If nothing goes wrong, and it won't if you follow instructions to the letter, you will then have an E1000 and the changes to the cfe may add stability.

You will need the winSCP utility (freeware) and telnet ability.

The procedure will be exactly the same as the 320 to E2000 convert and the 610 to E3000 convert.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76924

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=75183

Review the above threads. If you are up for it, I will supply you with the cfe & firmware needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you barryware! I will read the two threads and I am more than willing to try this out and I will follow your istructions to the letter!
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
I don't think the 160v3 (e1000) has operational jtag

You are correct sir, the 160N v3.0 does not have an operational JTAG, not sure about the E1000, have not seen one personally yet.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
barryware wrote:
I don't think the 160v3 (e1000) has operational jtag

You are correct sir, the 160N v3.0 does not have an operational JTAG, not sure about the E1000, have not seen one personally yet.

My E1000 V1 does NOT have operational jtag.. The connections are there, but 4.7k ohm smt resisters have been left out of the jtag circuit. The header tests open with an ohm meter

We are not talking about a V2.. Butt Razz The v2 has operational jtag. However, the jtag software does not support the processor in the v2 (yet)

Back to bidness Razz

As long as the 160v3 is running an Eko build (mini) 15279 or later, all that is required is to replace the cfe with an e1000v1 cfe, erase nvram, and reboot. Flashing a special modded build is not necessary.

Sooo... flash an eko mini build (k26) 15279 or later if not already on the router.. Flash the e1000v1 cfe via winscp & telnet, erase nvram via telnet, & reboot.

The cfe attached is from my E1000. Mac is at offset 0x3ee00. Pin is at offset 0x3f400, and serial is at 0x3fe32.

This will ONLY work with a 160v3. Remember.. This is to see if converting to an E1000 will add stability to the 160V3 with serial number(s) beginning with CSE41, and CSE51. It will also work with CSE31's but those are reported stable.

Converting to an E1000 does not increase nvram like it does with the E2000 & E3000.

Who's is gonna go 1st Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will need a hex editor program. notepad is not a hex editor!, winSCP, and you must have SSH enabled in the dd-wrt firmware. winSCP uses SSH for file transfer. You will also need an E1000 cfe

This is what needs to be done: This is ONLY for a wrt160n V3!

Make sure the router is running an Eko mini build (K26, 15279 or later). Support for the E1000 was not added until build 15279!

Backup your existing cfe via http and put it in a safe place.

Edit the above E1000 cfe with your macs, serial, and the 8 digit easy access pin. All found on your sticker. The CFE is a binary file so you must use a hex editor! Notepad is NOT a hex editor!

The mac address is found at offset 0x3EE00 in the cfe file. The easy access pin is at offset 0x3F400. The serial number is found at offset 0x3FE32.

During the process, DO NOT power cycle your router.

Reset your router to defaults and enable SSH.

Once your CFE edits are done, use winSCP to copy the cfe file to the /tmp folder of the router.

Close winSCP and open a telnet session.

Issue the following commands: "[enter]" means hit the enter key. Wink

cd /tmp [enter]

mtd unlock cfe [enter]

mtd write -f cfe_e1000.bin cfe [enter]

It only takes a few seconds to write the new cfe. When back at the telnet prompt, erase nvram:

erase nvram [enter]

When back at the telnet prompt, reboot the router:

reboot [enter]

Be patient.. This will take a while and the router may reboot three times. BE PATIENT! It can take up to 6 minutes or longer. BE PATIENT!

Once booted, access the router, reset to factory defaults once more, then flash any build the router supports if you choose.

It will be interesting to see if the convert fixes the wireless stability issue with the 160 V3's

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you'd be forced to use Eko builds forever? Eko builds are great and all, but on the 160nV3 as it is you are also able to use BS's nokaid-small for wider feature range..

barryware, I was planning on trying this out over the holidays, but I was thinking the other thing which you could do (and possibly have more variety of firmware available to you) is downgrade the CFE in a CSE41 or CSE51 to that of a CSE31. Any thoughts on that? Also, if you know offhand what offsets the MAC/serial/pin are at in the CSE31 and 51 CFEs, that would save me the trouble of hunting for them too Wink
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
osmosis wrote:
So you'd be forced to use Eko builds forever? Eko builds are great and all, but on the 160nV3 as it is you are also able to use BS's nokaid-small for wider feature range..

barryware, I was planning on trying this out over the holidays, but I was thinking the other thing which you could do (and possibly have more variety of firmware available to you) is downgrade the CFE in a CSE41 or CSE51 to that of a CSE31. Any thoughts on that? Also, if you know offhand what offsets the MAC/serial/pin are at in the CSE31 and 51 CFEs, that would save me the trouble of hunting for them too Wink

No.. you are not locked into an eko build. Eko developed the support for the router. I tested this with the 1st eko build. I did not test with a BS build. If a BS build (after 15279) supports the router it should run.

For initial cfe swap, use an eko build (15279 or later) cuz that is what I tested with. Anybody that want to play with their router, I am not responsible for whatever happens.

Interesting thought about "downgrading" the cfe on a 160 (CSE41 ~ 51) to the cfe that is on a CSE31. I don't own a 160.. Just an E1000(s) both V1 @ V2. Both were purchased to help in the porting. As you know, The V1 is supported. The V2, has a ways to go cuz of the drivers needed for the switch & radio.

There is no telling what 160v3 cfe made it to the cfe collection ftp site. They don't state what CSE they came from.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just checked out your ftp - and I'm not sure if people started to catch on that the different CSE numbers had varying stability or what - but there are a couple different CFEs available, listing the CSE number as well:

05/08/2010 12:00AM 262,144 160n_v3_cfe-cse31.bin

and the info.txt file in

03/07/2010 12:00AM 127,595 WRT160N_v3.0_CFE.zip

states that it's from a CSE41. :D

I've already downloaded the CSE31 CFE in prep for the downgrade, but unfortunately I don't have my CSE51 router directly on hand until I go home to my folks for the holidays (though that should be easy as I can just string search the CFE for the MACs/serial/pin as they're known). BUT, that being said, would still be nice to know the offsets for that CSE31 CFE you've got there Wink

Last edited by on Sat Dec 18, 2010 20:05; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never opened the zip to look at the info.txt file..

anyway.. Mac is at offset 0x3EE00, Pin = 0x3F400, Serial = 0x3FE32

Same for both.. CSE31 & 41

Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, so the 160n_v3_cfe-cse31.bin CFE has the same offsets as your E1000 CFE? Nice! :)

Thanks barry, I'll let everyone know how the "downgrade" goes after I get the chance to do it.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
osmosis wrote:
Ah, so the 160n_v3_cfe-cse31.bin CFE has the same offsets as your E1000 CFE? Nice! :)

Thanks barry, I'll let everyone know how the "downgrade" goes after I get the chance to do it.

May the force be with you Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excuse my extreme n00bness... Confused

I have BS 14929 on my CSE51 right now so I need to upgrade. My question is do I flash a build that is made for the WRT160NV3 or for the E1000V1 before flashing the CFE.bin?

I know stupid question but I want to get this right the first time or I have a plastic brick on my hands...

I have edited your e1000.bin with a hex editor to my routers MAC/PIN/SN numbers that was not too hard to figure out.

Once I get this answered I will follow the rest of the steps and flash this sucker! Twisted Evil
xerose
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I was successfull! I just said fvck it and used the WRT160NV3 build.

But now for the bad news... The wireless died on me just now my computer was connected to it using it as a wireless bridge... Sad

So it is acting the same way as before... Sad
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
xerose wrote:
Well I was successfull! I just said fvck it and used the WRT160NV3 build.

But now for the bad news... The wireless died on me just now my computer was connected to it using it as a wireless bridge... Sad

So it is acting the same way as before... Sad

Very disapointing... Crying or Very sad

Navigation

Jump to: