WRT310N: Wii no longer sees wireless network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ClarkVent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 14:03    Post subject: WRT310N: Wii no longer sees wireless network Reply with quote
Ok, that's actually only one symptom.

First let my explain my situation. I have a Cisco WRT310N router running dd-wrt firmware. My PC is connected by wire, while two other PCs, a Wii and a Media Player are connected wirelessly. I've never experienced a problem with this setup before.

I know that about a week ago, my Wii still had a connection with the internet and my Media player was able to play HD content over the wireless network just fine. But yesterday I wanted to play online on the Wii but noticed it didn't have an internet connection. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't connect.

So I cleared the Wii internet settings and had it detect the wireless network again. But it couldn't. I mean, it detected the wireless networks of my neighbors just fine, but it couldn't find my own network's SSID. The distance between my router and the Wii is perhaps 25 feet. Right next to it is a PC and that PC picks up the wireless network without a problem (and displays signal strength as "Excellent").

I then checked my Media Player (which is a bit further away from the router than my Wii). The Media Player did see the wireless network and was able to connect, but apparently the connection wasn't good anymore enough to play HD content. So something happened there too.

I have no idea what changed. I had my settings backed up in a nvrambak.bin file. So I cleared NVRam and restored the settings. Problem is still exactly the same.

If I check using InSSIDer on my PC (which is 3 feet away from the router), I notice that signal strength is the same as my neigbor's router (Amplitude -54dB and his router is a floor lower and about 40 feet away).

Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

I've tried two versions of dd-wrt:

dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_std, and
dd-wrt.v24-15508_NEWD_std-nokaid

That makes no difference whatsoever.
Sponsor
roberthuang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the similar problem before with my wrt310n and 12548 newd firmware.

After I flashed with the recommended version which is 14929, the problem went away.

Please see below link for the recommended firmware.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
ClarkVent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried the suggested firmware versions, but it made no difference whatsoever... But Like I said, it has worked perfectly before with dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_std. No idea why it all of a sudden stopped working.
PrimPast
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
My wii is connected to my router with 14929 build. Try reconfiguring everything. Don't use backups.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
try resetting the wii and configure it again. I had a similar problem with a wi-fi connected blu-ray player last week.

I dicked around with the ap for hours to no avail.. resetting the player and configuring it again was the solution.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
PrimPast wrote:
My wii is connected to my router with 14929 build. Try reconfiguring everything. Don't use backups.

That's what I do. Before flashing, I clear the NVRAM, then just to be sure I clear NVRAM after flashing as well. Then I manually set it up. No difference.

barryware wrote:
try resetting the wii and configure it again.

Resetted the Wii's Network settings a few times already. Also power-cycled the WII a few times. No difference...
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
ClarkVent wrote:
barryware wrote:
try resetting the wii and configure it again.

Resetted the Wii's Network settings a few times already. Also power-cycled the WII a few times. No difference...

I meant reset the whole device to factory settings, not just the network settings.

I told you about the blu-ray player.. Months ago I had a problem with my nephews xbox.. same thing, reset the xbox to factory settings (after removing the hard drive) and I had it connected in two seconds.

Something to try... that's all.. If other devices can see and connect to the ap, odds are the problem is with the device.. r u sure the wii didn't take a crap? can it see other ap's in the area?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

I meant reset the whole device to factory settings, not just the network settings.

That might help getting the Wii connected, but I'm sure the problem isn't with the Wii but with the WRT310N router. Because even if I can get the Wii connected by completely resetting it, it won't help the speed problems I'm encountering with my Media Player.

"Something" happened causing all wireless connections to suffer.

I downloaded InSSIDer and ran that on my PC which is 3 feet away from the router. Signal strength (Amplitude) is only around -52dB, which is not at all what I expected. At that distance, I would expect an Amplitude of between -30dB and -40dB. Then again, I have never used InSSIDer before so I have no idea what normal values are for that distance (3').

(Edit: removed some insignificant speedtests)

Last edited by ClarkVent on Mon Dec 13, 2010 0:04; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've recently had to comment on this, if you are CLOSE to the router, and the router is only a 2.4Ghz (no 5Ghz) then signal is not going to be very well, specially if its in any kind of N mode.

How does this make sense? Very simple breakdown, if you are that close to the unit, why not just use a wired connect? 2.4Ghz was designed for more range links, not close up, the 5Ghz spectrum however was designed for closer range links (best use for an apartment setup)

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
ClarkVent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
if you are that close to the unit, why not just use a wired connect?

What's considered "close"? My PC is wired (only 3' from the router) but the other 2 PC's, the Wii and the Media Player are all about 30' away.
ClarkVent
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some more experimenting. I moved my router to about 3 feet from the Wii and still the Wii was unable to see my wireless network.

I'm convinced it's not the Wii since it picks up my neighbors' network every single time. It just won't see mine. My network is set to "Mixed" but even if I set it to B-Only, the Wii still doesn't see it. I'm completely at a loss here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: