Cheapest Setup for Connecting to 5ghz WUG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
MiyagiDono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 15:23    Post subject: Cheapest Setup for Connecting to 5ghz WUG Reply with quote
I want to connect to a WUG (wireless user group) in South Africa that uses the 5ghz spectrum.

There are various points for me to connect to, so I wanna establish a point-to-point connection using a grid antenna.

A ready-made wug kit (Routerboard, Antenna, Cable, etc) is rather expensive here in SA at $215, so I'm thinking of importing goods that will get the job done.

An idea I have is that I can use a Linksys or similar router flashed with dd-wrt, and an external antenna to connect to the WUG. I want the antenna on my houses roof, while the router remains in a room located about 6-8m from the antenna. I want the router in the room since I can reset and monitor it without having to climb on my roof. The problem with this is the loss in the 6-8m coax cable, since I heard most people recommend very short lengths of cable.

Are there any other cheap methods that may work?

I'm researching this, not just for me, but for other people who also want to connect to the WUG, but can't afford $210+. I want a solution that costs about $120 which includes the cash from selling the old router.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: