Windows 7 network location problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Zigmat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 20:18    Post subject: Windows 7 network location problem Reply with quote
Hello,

First off, I want to say thank you to everybody who have developed DD-WRT - it simply rocks. However, I'm having a problem with DD-WRT and Windows 7 which is making things annoying.

I have an Asus RT-N16 with DD-WRT build 14815 Mega with Optware and OpenVPN (bridged mode) running well. The problem is everytime I start my Windows 7 (Professional) computer or reboot the router, my computer keeps forgetting the network location (where you can select Home, Work or Public). Ideally it should always be set on home because everything is set for streaming and remote desktop. The biggest nuisance is WOL-ing my computer from work through OpenVPN, but because it forgets the network type I can't remote desktop into it, rendering it useless until I get back home.

Is there anyway I can force my computer to always accept my DD-WRT router as a home type location? I apologise if this sounds more like a Windows 7 issue, but my other routers doesn't behave like this - making it sound like it's an issue with DD-WRT.

Regards,
Zigmat
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
merge the networks on win 7 so there is only one network..

everytime you change the gateway (router), win7 assumes it is a new network.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
merge the networks on win 7 so there is only one network..

everytime you change the gateway (router), win7 assumes it is a new network.

I'm not sure how this will help. I haven't been changing the routers - this only happens on the Asus whilst they're connected by ethernet.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just look and see how many networks 7 has set up without you even knowing. Or not..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before your first response there were 8 connections, but instead of merging I deleted them. If/when it happens again I'll merge them, but for now there's only 1.
Zigmat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, had to reboot the server and when I connected my computer it forgot the network location. Definately something to do with DD-WRT...

(Bit out of place, but is Frater's prep_optware script down? Had to rebuild my USB hard drive.)
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same problem.

All my computer running Win7 forgets network location every time the router reboots.

Is quite annoying.

HEEEELPPPP!!!!
chrisv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the exact same problem. I have been using DD-WRT for a few years now and previously had a WRT54GS router with no problems. I recently setup an E2000 as my main router (still using the WRT54GS for my IPhone...) and the problem started happening with the new router. I disconnected the WRT... just to test things out but the results are the same (problem still exists if E2000 is the only router in my setup). I am using firmware version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/13/10) big - build 15453M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko.

Has anyone found a resolution yet?
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Windows Network discovery needs the MAC address from the router.

This problem seems to be related with a random MAC address being assigned to LAN.

Rebooting...
GUI shows 48:5B:39:xx:xx:xx (Router real MAC) a few seconds later it shows 00:FF:8D:A0:C8:72

HEELLLPPPP!!!
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a moron, it is the OpenVPN tap0 MAC address.

Moving to routed VPN.
ddwrtfanster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
So does anyone know how to avoid this issue with Windows 7, but by sticking with the tap0 interface?
dave981
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
bskchaos wrote:
I'm a moron, it is the OpenVPN tap0 MAC address.

Moving to routed VPN.

bskchaos: Could you please elaborate on what you did to resolve the problem? Did you just change the tap#, switch to tun# or something else?

I have the same history as Chrisv. Ran DD-WRT on an WRT-54GL for years w/ an OpenVPN configuration. Upgraded my desktops to Win7. No issues. Swapped out the WRT-54GL with an E3000 running Mega. Put on the same OpenVPN configuration as before (via commands, not gui). Now the issues w/ Windows 7, everytime the router reboots the Win7 desktops think it's a new network.

Thanks.
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stop using OpenVPN in bridge mode, at least until someone figures out how fix the MAC Address issue.
sfthomas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looks like an old thread, but just for the record - I have a working solution, although it is not ddWrt, but oleg's. It should still work on both though.

As it was said, this is a problem with the tap0 interface setting a random MAC each time, and the br0 bridge picking up the 'smallest' MAC. If you change the MAC of the tap0 interface before adding it to the bridge, you can avoid the br0 MAC change. For example:

ifconfig tap0 hw ether BC:AF:C5:C3:B7:61

Take care to set a MAC address here that is 'higher' than any other MACs in the same bridge.
You might also need an 'ifconfig tap0 down' before this, and an 'ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0 promisc up' afterward.
JeremyG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
sfthomas wrote:

Take care to set a MAC address here that is 'higher' than any other MACs in the same bridge.
You might also need an 'ifconfig tap0 down' before this, and an 'ifconfig tap0 0.0.0.0 promisc up' afterward.

Thanks for this!

So am I correct in assuming that the same outcome could be obtained by manually setting the Router's MAC address to be "lower"?

If so, do you know a way to do that? My latest build *finally* lets me configure OpenVPN completely in the GUI, and I'd rather not go back to manual stuff. I also don't want to go to routed VPN, because then my Windows 7 homegroup wouldnt work properly.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: