Have WNDR3700 would like to test any builds available

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
randfee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Re: Atheros wireless settings apply to the WNDR3700 Reply with quote
Jamby wrote:
Have you folks read this?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

Also, on another thread that I don't remember, it stated that you had to use WPA2, AES to get the full speed.

now where does that help me get my full wifi speed back? I had a good 140Mbit/s from where I'm sitting now. All I get now is 40% of that, around 60Mbit... and no, I've set it to any kind of setting I can think of! If somebody get's his 15MB/s+ wifi speeds back using DD-WRT, please tell me.
Sponsor
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 22:42    Post subject: Re: Atheros wireless settings apply to the WNDR3700 Reply with quote
randfee wrote:
Jamby wrote:

Also, on another thread that I don't remember, it stated that you had to use WPA2, AES to get the full speed.

now where does that help me get my full wifi speed back? I had a good 140Mbit/s from where I'm sitting now. All I get now is 40% of that, around 60Mbit... and no, I've set it to any kind of setting I can think of! If somebody get's his 15MB/s+ wifi speeds back using DD-WRT, please tell me.

wifi speeds have been slashed since moving to kernel 2.6, happens on dd-wrt and openwrt. no setting will being it back. I spent days trying to figure it out and just gave up. to get it back you have to go back to a release that worked and not move forward till its fixed.

Atheros wireless settings Here

WNDR3700 Wiki

OpenVPN configuration I have refined: OpenVPN Config

ALL WNDR3700 users please fill out this short Poll
randfee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 23:10    Post subject: Re: Atheros wireless settings apply to the WNDR3700 Reply with quote
ccdoggy wrote:
wifi speeds have been slashed since moving to kernel 2.6, happens on dd-wrt and openwrt. no setting will being it back. I spent days trying to figure it out and just gave up. to get it back you have to go back to a release that worked and not move forward till its fixed.

Yeah, something is definitely up. My n-speeds (Ath1) do NOT surpass my G (Ath0) speeds, that says it all. Plus, it's less stable, even the fifty-some Mbit/s that I do get are not stable, they fluctate heavily whereas the g connection seems rock solid and delivers full 54Mbit/s.
BLaZe_ru1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dynek wrote:
BLaZe_ru1, the factory file is used when switching from stock firmware to dd-wrt.
If you are already running dd-wrt then you will have to use wndr3700-webflash.bin

Thank you.

Do i need to save my settings to file before flash a new firmware? Or it will be the same after flashing?

Tnx.
blackie333
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I remember correctly, last build with fast wired speeds to router NAS+FTP was "broken" build 15471.

Not sure what has been changed after that build but for me (I don't really care about wireless 2.4G speed) that was the last build with fast gigabit connection to my USB drive.

I'm thinking about flashing back to 15471, but I'm not sure about possible risks because it's considered "broken".
dynek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:
Do i need to save my settings to file before flash a new firmware? Or it will be the same after flashing?

Tnx.

Good question. I'd say the settings are kept. Maybe someone can confirm this ? I haven't updated DD-WRT in a while (actually I just bought a new WNDR3700 and installed DD-WRT so no update yet).
Rataplan626
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
dynek wrote:
BLaZe_ru1 wrote:

Tnx.

Good question. I'd say the settings are kept. Maybe someone can confirm this ? I haven't updated DD-WRT in a while (actually I just bought a new WNDR3700 and installed DD-WRT so no update yet).

If you select 'don't reset settings' while upgrading, you will keep the same settings, as they are saved in NVRAM. I always use 'dont reset settings' and never lost my config. However, it's never a bad idea to have a backup.
dynek
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also as a warning BLaZe_ru1:

There has been many reports of "restore defaults" bricking multiple different routers yet some have no issue, so USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! You should not have to restore to defaults just from upgrading builds, to restore to defaults instead use the far superior triple 30 reset.

From: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700
BLaZe_ru1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn. Today I got a bad experience. When I flashed the router, I have it dead. He moved into a state bricks. Power lamp flickered. I had to restore from disk utility. And then again to reflash the new firmware. Thank God it saved the settings.

Today I get very nervous. But it is ok now.
IBAndreas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 16:25    Post subject: Signal Quality vs TX Rate Reply with quote
Hello,
I am routinely getting 0% signal quality on my 3700 but with decent RX and TX rate. I was wondering what is preferable, high TX and RX rate with low signal quality or higher signal quality with lower TX and RX rate. Subjectively, I seem to get better experience with the latter but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion (or a more definitive answer) on this.
FYI DDWRT 15747 seems stable but I am having awful range issues on 5GHZ radio and still cant set it up with security. 2,4 GHZ radio seems good but 5 GHZ almost worthless unless Im in the same room as the router.
Thanks!
-Andreas
Silentknyght
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Caldata woes Reply with quote
Trying to revert to stock firmware o my WNDR3700 last night rendered me up till the wee hours attempting to fix the FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF mac address issue.

I'm having other troubles this morning with my WNR3500L (supposed to be a repeater bridge of my WNDR3700) and accessing shared files in certain locations on my network. I'm trying to make sure that my monkeying with the caldata didn't cause it. I'd be grateful for any assistance, especially whether or not I did steps 12 & 13 correctly.

Step 1: Downloaded someone else's caldata: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=111600

Step 2: Flashed stock netgear firmware via tftp (I had success with both .41 and .68 versions of the stock firmware).

Step 3: Downloaded telnetenable program (link elsewhere).

Step 4: "telnetenable 192.168.1.1 FFFFFFFFFFFF Gearguy Geardog"

Step 5: telnet 192.168.1.1

(note: I really struggled with step 5; most times it wouldn't connect, but would just hang and I'd have to CTRL-] to cancel. I think it's due to case sensitivity in both the MAC and the password, where the MAC must be all caps)

Step 6: Inserted USB thubdrive with "caldata" file

Step 7: cp /mnt/sda1/caldata /tmp

Step 8: cd /tmp

Step 9: mtd unlock caldata

Step 10: mtd -r write caldata caldata

Step 11: Verified that radios worked. MAC address was updated.

Step 12: Opened "caldata" in a hex editor. This is what I saw (where "....." means the rest of the file. I searched it but found no more patterns like these mac addresses.

Code:

C0 3F 0E 7F 26 1F C0 3F 0E 7F 26 20 C0 3F 0E 7F 26 21 ........

Step 13: I replaced them and resaved (where "##" means I ain't giving out my full MAC address). I only knew the "59" value, but based on what I could see, the subsequent MAC addresses just appeared to be "+1". Unfortunately, I was not wise enough to back up my own caldata.

Code:

## ## 9A 02 62 59 ## ## 9A 02 62 5A ## ## 9A 02 62 5B .......

Step 14: Repeated steps 4 through 11. Note, I had to replace "FFFFFFFFFFFF" with "C03F0E7F261F".

I put DD-wrt back on it, and things seemed to work fine. Now, when I view the status page in DD-wrt, it shows me:
Code:

LAN MAC:       ##:##:9A:02:62:59
WAN MAC:       ##:##:9A:02:62:5A
Wireless MAC:  ##:##:9A:02:62:59

The wireless MAC and LAN MAC are the same. Digging deeper, on the wireless status page, I see:

Code:

Interface: ath0
MAC: ##:##:9A:02:62:59

Interface: ath1
MAC: ##:##:9A:02:62:5B

Is this the same kind of report everyone else gets for their MAC addresses? Any thoughts on my edit job on the caldata?
Ezaum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the duplicate network / network without encryption issue has been resolved in the latest build?
BlindWolf8
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ezaum wrote:
Does anyone know if the duplicate network / network without encryption issue has been resolved in the latest build?
This has been fixed for awhile.
Ezaum
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
BlindWolf8 wrote:
Ezaum wrote:
This has been fixed for awhile.

What about PPTP VPN performance? Anyone having any issues with that?
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 13:10    Post subject: Re: Atheros wireless settings apply to the WNDR3700 Reply with quote
ccdoggy wrote:
randfee wrote:
Jamby wrote:

Seeing how little work is done into madwifi's trunk you could sit there for a decade before anything's fixed. It's been months since the last non cosmetic commit.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 176, 177, 178 ... 227, 228, 229  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 177 of 229
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: