help! WRT54G - serial mod - virtual com port - relay control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
anthonydomingo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:20    Post subject: help! WRT54G - serial mod - virtual com port - relay control Reply with quote
I have the need to send data wireless to serial ports to control relays. Does anyone know if serial data can be sent to a WRT54G or WAP54G with serial mod from a virtual comm port driver? Brookshire software has a program called Visual Show Automation that sequences events in a time line fashion. I have a stack of WAP54G's and WRT54G's that I would like to use to control my Holiday light display google or youtube yolanda ave walk of lights My goal is to chase the lights at each house up and down the street. Each house has 8 lighted arches (channels). any guidance is appreciated.
Sponsor
conjur
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your best bet would be to use a gpio script.

The WRT54g has a total of 18 gpio channels (some cannot be used; without some other modifications to the firmware); just tie each one to a relay, and your in business.
anthonydomingo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 17:02    Post subject: software to control relays on GPIO Reply with quote
So suppose I had 20 WRT54G's 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.22.
Each has 8 relays hanging on the GPIO connections.
from a host computer say on 192.168.1.100 using what method of communications could I "chase" or program a light show. I was hoping to use VSA from Brookshire software because it is GUI based.

-Anthony
eFanatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Re: help! WRT54G - serial mod - virtual com port - relay con Reply with quote
anthonydomingo wrote:
I have the need to send data wireless to serial ports to control relays. Does anyone know if serial data can be sent to a WRT54G or WAP54G with serial mod from a virtual comm port driver? Brookshire software has a program called Visual Show Automation that sequences events in a time line fashion. I have a stack of WAP54G's and WRT54G's that I would like to use to control my Holiday light display google or youtube yolanda ave walk of lights My goal is to chase the lights at each house up and down the street. Each house has 8 lighted arches (channels). any guidance is appreciated.

Anthonydomingo,
Were you able to successfully establish the serial - WiFi link? If yes, I would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks in advance
anthonydomingo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not found a DD=WRT solution that allows me to use the GUI interface called VSA from Brookshire software however I have discovered a product made by NCD that exactly fits the need. see http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/NWADR81DPDTPROXR

-Anthony
eFanatic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
anthonydomingo wrote:
I have not found a DD=WRT solution that allows me to use the GUI interface called VSA from Brookshire software however I have discovered a product made by NCD that exactly fits the need. see http://www.controlanything.com/Relay/Device/NWADR81DPDTPROXR

-Anthony

Thanks Anthony,
But it is too expensive for the project I am working on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: