I need beginner's documentaion

klawdek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:06    Post subject: I need beginner's documentaion Reply with quote
All the stuff in the wiki is super advanced and requires a PhD in networking.

I understand computers and basic programming in various languages, but I do not have super advanced networking knowledge. I just want dd-wrt for the bandwidth monitoring features and I cannot find anything on that topic. Nor can I find a getting started doc for beginners.
Sponsor
Mordak
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:09    Post subject: Re: I need beginner's documentaion Reply with quote
klawdek wrote:
All the stuff in the wiki is super advanced and requires a PhD in networking.

I understand computers and basic programming in various languages, but I do not have super advanced networking knowledge. I just want dd-wrt for the bandwidth monitoring features and I cannot find anything on that topic. Nor can I find a getting started doc for beginners.
Here's the best place to start, it's call "The Peacock Thread" so it can easily be found.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

It's got everything you need to know and links to more complex stuff. Good luck. Cool

ASUS AC3200
Linksys WRT32X
Linksys WRT3200 ACM
klawdek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have read that thread and it contains no information on features or how to use them and nothing at all about bandwidth monitoring. No screen shots of the bandwidth monitor, no description of it at all.

That thread has only to do with installation and upgrading.

The installation looks so tricky that I would not risk it without info on the features. Specifically bandwidth monitoring which could mean anything from a simple speed indicator to a complete log with monthly, weekly, daily totals for each connection and all connections combined.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually the peacock post covers quite a bit, but from sounds of it, you need to use the dd-wrt wiki and read up there... slowly Cool

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
klawdek wrote:
Specifically bandwidth monitoring which could mean anything from a simple speed indicator to a complete log with monthly, weekly, daily totals for each connection and all connections combined.

Yes Sir, Einstein !!

So, how do you suppose we guess your level of need ? How about you state exactly what you want to do instead of expecting specific advice for some very general objective ????

Shocked Shocked

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
klawdek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have three computers. Two wired one wireless. My ISP has a bandwidth cap. I want to know how much bandwidth each system is using. I would like to see daily, weekly and monthly usage for each system and for the overall total.

That way there will be no arguments over who used how much.

From some posts in dslreports.com it sounds like it has all that. However from the picture in this post it looks like it is just a current speed meter.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23280391-Clear-in-Chicago~start=280?r=317

I do not want to bother with it if it is just a current speed meter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: