Linksys Parental Control Support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
codedancer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:05    Post subject: Linksys Parental Control Support? Reply with quote
I currently own a WRT54GS v3.376 and am considering DD-WRT for its additional power and management capability. I am also subscribing to the Linksys Parental Control for my two kids. Is there a way to preserve this capability when using DD-WRT? If not, is there an alternative that is supported that does not depend on client PCs being continuously updated?

Thanks,

Codedancer
Sponsor
codegypsy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:12    Post subject: Parental Controls Reply with quote
There is not support for parental controls that I have seen.

Most 3rd Party Firmwares Remove Parental Controls.

Depending on what you need Controlled or limited, you will find you can do almost everything you need with DD-WRT or HyperWRT-Thibor Builds.

I don't like the idea of outside services doing what should be done in the home.

Read up on Firewalls, and Limiting.
If your looking to just allow or block sites, I would HyperWRT-Thibor as there are many more GUI fields to put in.

Also micro-build of DD-WRT will do most everything you need and keep your router running very healthy. :D

Good Luck

./codegypsy
swinn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you must retain Parental Controls, then take a look at Thibor 14 (not 15). www.thibor.co.uk
WL520gU (Routing)
Running DD-WRT v24 SP2 - http://www.dd-wrt.com
codedancer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 18:03    Post subject: Re: Parental Controls Reply with quote
codegypsy wrote:
There is not support for parental controls that I have seen.

Most 3rd Party Firmwares Remove Parental Controls.

Depending on what you need Controlled or limited, you will find you can do almost everything you need with DD-WRT or HyperWRT-Thibor Builds.

I don't like the idea of outside services doing what should be done in the home.

Read up on Firewalls, and Limiting.
If your looking to just allow or block sites, I would HyperWRT-Thibor as there are many more GUI fields to put in.

Also micro-build of DD-WRT will do most everything you need and keep your router running very healthy. :D

Good Luck

./codegypsy

Thanks, the problem with "doing it in the home" is that there is no way one can realistically keep current a block list and therefore must do it as an access list. However, even that is a problem as I have multiple computers using the router and I don't want to have all of them restricted. This was where the Linksys approach was useful as I could limit my kids without having my wife and I restricted. I am not aware of another technique besides the "proxy" method that would have this flexibility. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Codedancer
codedancer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
swinn wrote:
If you must retain Parental Controls, then take a look at Thibor 14 (not 15). www.thibor.co.uk

Thanks, I will check it out.

Codedancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: