No internet on wifi if LAN connected

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
saadsaeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:43    Post subject: No internet on wifi if LAN connected Reply with quote
Hi, Im running the following router with the latest firmware on it.
Router Model: Linksys WRT54GS v6
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) micro - build 14896

I've got a couple of wifi clients to connect to this router, iphone, macbook and two laptops. Its set as AP with WPA2 for all these. As far as I know, rest of the settings are left to default. There is no access restriction or NAT profile that Ive added. The router itself is set as a DHCP server.

However, as soon as I connect the LAN cable for my PC, internet slows down to a crawl for all wifi devices while some devices start dropping wifi connectivity. Whats going on? I had the same behavior on build 14311 and was hoping 14896 would fix it. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsor
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are using the computer to connect to torrents or some other demanding task.
saadsaeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
No not really, this happens as soon as I turn on my PC and it reaches login screen.

Is there a log for dd-wrt micro that I can see what the router is upto?

A test scenario I can try is pop in ubuntu CD and see if it causes the same issue. It might be something in windows but then again im running Avira which is upto date with all the updates of XP in place.
Pied Piper
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you get to the webgui? Check connections, throughput and cpu load. Try disabling Avira.
saadsaeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can get to web gui and disabling avira doesnt effect anything. Browsing on lan connected pc is just fine, its just that all wireless devices either cant connect to wifi or become really really slow to browse internet. Mind you this happens even if im not running torrents on simple desktop startup. How can I diagnose this?
saadsaeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any tips I can try? Still facing same issue. Wireless clients dont see anything if a PC is plugged in LAN. Does DDWRT micro has a log file that I can see?
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
A fair number of people seem to have problems with that build. Try the build recommendation in note 3 of the peacock. If only to re-install ddwrt.

Make sure there are no static IPs on the computers to ensure you don't have an ip conflict.

Overunning that crappy router could be the entire problem though.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
saadsaeed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 16:39    Post subject: [Solved] Reply with quote
Thanks ReadtheAnnoucement! it worked.
Did 30-30-30 reset and upgraded to Brainslayer 14929
So far things are stable with an occasional drop in ping... Ive gotten enough juice from this router and I know its being overworked. Its still sturdy than those tp links.
Anyways, Issue resolved, thanks all for your suggestions and help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: