How do you do QoS for Amazon S3, or based on DESTINATION IP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Skuggmara
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:49    Post subject: How do you do QoS for Amazon S3, or based on DESTINATION IP? Reply with quote
I've started using JungleDisk to backup my systems to Amazon's cheap S3 disk storage service. However, it is a major bandwidth hog, and I was hoping to do some QoS on the traffic.

Unfortunately, the outbound traffic is all on port 443, so I don't want to deprioritize all 443 (HTTPS) traffic, just the stuff to/from Amazon's S3 service. How can I setup QoS to treat all traffic to/from a specific IP range/subnet as Bulk?

I have no problem working at the command line if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Skuggmara
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 19:54    Post subject: Any suggestions? Reply with quote
Can I just put the destination IP range in the QOS field, or does the QOS only work on source IP?
DougWare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 14:06    Post subject: Re: Any suggestions? Reply with quote
Skuggmara wrote:
Can I just put the destination IP range in the QOS field, or does the QOS only work on source IP?

Did you ever find a good answer for this? I've tried a couple of methods (mostly by IP) and I can't seem to really lock this down.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use this in your firewall script, the mark values are explained on the QoS wiki page.

iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -d [destination ip] -j MARK --set-mark 40
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -s [source ip] -j MARK --set-mark 40

jmerkow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah Im a newbie to DD-WRT, coming from tomato...

How do i find the destination IPs.

And to Clarify if i set the mark value below 40 it will be less prioritized than 'bulk'
jmerkow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
please help, i can't even find a list of IPs to check!
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
jmerkow wrote:
Yeah Im a newbie to DD-WRT, coming from tomato...

How do i find the destination IPs.

And to Clarify if i set the mark value below 40 it will be less prioritized than 'bulk'

No, use only values discussed in wiki, setting values other than those discussed in wiki has no effect.

jmerkow wrote:
please help, i can't even find a list of IPs to check!

Ask Amazon's S3 service to help you identify their IPs
ethanhunteg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I realize I'm resurrecting a really old thread, however I thought it may be best to keep info on this in the same place. I apologize if it’s wrong and I need to start a new thread and link back to this one I can do that.

I've tried using
Code:
iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -d 172.225.132.0/24 -j MARK --set-mark 40
iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.110 -j MARK --set-mark 40

in my firewall rules where 192.168.1.110 is the computer that is running crashplan and I’m getting unusual results where my internet will slow to a crawl across all devices in the LAN (gets capped out at approx. 1.7Mb down and .35Mb up).

Do I have the addresses switched in that firewall rule? Even if I do, is something else going on? On the QoS page all I have set is enable at the top and have filled in the uplink and downlink numbers at about 90% of my actual bandwidth.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: