HOWTO: Flashing WHR-G300N

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
bason
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just have to say, the WHR-G300N is really a much better router when its running dd-wrt. It has been three days now and it has not freeze or auto reboot yet. Its not even dropping wifi connection. Worlds apart when compared with the original firmware in terms of stability.
Sponsor
mbelsky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 0:34    Post subject: Newest firmware for WHR-G300N - build 15407 Reply with quote
Hello,

I just installed the newest build from BrainSlayer from here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F10-09-10-r15407%2FWHR-G300N/

Was this a mistake? I realized after that the recommended build from the Wiki is build 14896 from here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F08-07-10-r14896%2FWHR-G300N/

Where are these new, in between builds tested and discussed? I mean, there must be somewhere where feedback and issues are reported so the mods know when its time to recommend a newer build. Is that this thread? Noone has discussed the last few builds.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39    Post subject: Re: Newest firmware for WHR-G300N - build 15407 Reply with quote
mbelsky wrote:
Where are these new, in between builds tested and discussed? I mean, there must be somewhere where feedback and issues are reported so the mods know when its time to recommend a newer build. Is that this thread? Noone has discussed the last few builds.

You will find most of the discussion on these builds in the Broadcom SoC based Hardware forum.

Got OpenDNS?
vr6dude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rikh wrote:
@BS:
Is the Hardware Switch (Router/AP/Auto) on the backside somehow supported?

Never saw an answer for this one. Anyone know if the switch does anything at all?
vr6dude
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone had a problem with intermittent internet connection outages when connecting the WAN to another router whose IP is 192.168.11.1 ?

I get disconnects every 10-30 minutes that self-resolve in 5 minutes. During disconnect, pinging the DHCP host gets a response, release/renew works, but traceroute does not. Simply unplugging and plugging back in the cable on the WAN gets immediate satisfaction with ping & trace, without any release/renew.

During all this time, WLAN and LAN works perfectly fine.

(yes, I am effectively asking the same question from another posting, but that was in response to the OP's question about DHCP. Since mine is not apparently a DHCP question and might be more generally applicable, I am asking slightly differently in this thread)

v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
vr6dude wrote:
Rikh wrote:
@BS:
Is the Hardware Switch (Router/AP/Auto) on the backside somehow supported?

Never saw an answer for this one. Anyone know if the switch does anything at all?

The switch has no functionality with DD-WRT firmware.

That switch is ONLY used with original Buffalo firmware.

Even with Buffalo firmware - it was usually best to leave it on 'Router'

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
vgare
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 0:54    Post subject: whr-g300n continuous diag light on, router inaccessible Reply with quote
I tried flashing with every possible version of the firmware with tftp. the router starts flashing slowly like it's applying the firmware and then restarts and again the diag is on steady. this started after a few days of loosing wireless, which i would fix by restarting the device. btw i have been running dd-wrt on this router for 4-5 months without a problem. i went for dd-wrt because the original firmware got messed up, so i was able to put the dd-wrt firmware on it.
one thing i remember changing a few days ago is i enabled the syslogd.
how can i bring it back to life?
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are going to have to do serial recovery if TFTP won't catch.

You can also see what's going on in the serial console as well.

The wiki has the serial recovery info for the WHR-G300N.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
fallengt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dang... I didn't do research carefully and bought WCR-GN instead of WHR-300n Crying or Very sad

By any chance that someone is willing to port this router over DD-WRT?

FCCID is fdi-09101676-0
CPU is Ralink RT3350F P1R1630CB 1003ST
The flash chip MX25L3206E
Kallisti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:47    Post subject: Not routing... Reply with quote
I don't know if this is where to ask about this...

Until yesterday I had a home network plugged into a mixture of my Buffalo WHR-G300N directly and a gigabit switch which then plugged into one of the other LAN ports. This worked fine, though it's possible I had an accidental DMZ on the hardware connected via the switch.

I decided to move everything to the switch to improve LAN performance (which worked very well), but I then lost WAN access (the Internet).

My setup is

Broadband Modem/Router (that doesn't support bridging) on 192.168.169.254.
|
Buffalo WHR-G300N / dd-wrt WAN on 192.168.169.1
|
Buffalo WHR-G300N / dd-wrt LAN on 192.168.168.254
|
The LAN - A gigabit switch with other switches and devices hanging off it, all on 192.168.168.0/24.

From the LAN I can ping other computers on the LAN and the LAN and WAN side of the Buffalo. I can't ping the Internet.

From the Buffalo I can ping everything, including the Internet through the WAN.

From the Internet I can ping the Buffalo. Although I've got a port forward on SSH, it's being ignored and the Buffalo is picking it up and responding with it's own SSHD. (this wasn't previously the case).

Not sure what else to list. What config do I need to get the router routing from LAN to WAN? Are any of the 4 LAN ports "special" ?

I've tried putting this back to how they were (I'm not exactly sure what that is though, but can't even restore the old setup (with a slow LAN!)
Baniita
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Um. Different model (WHR-300HP2; JPN), so this is probably irrelevant, but I thought that since it used the same new method, I figured I could throw in my bit?

I flashed DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/23/14) - build 24461 (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2014/06-23-2014-r24461/buffalo_whr_300hp2/firmware-jp.bin) via web GUI, and I might've not done the config right, but it's not getting internet at all. It connects, but no internet access.

I figure I should try another build, but I don't think it'd be a smart idea to go flashing all the builds left and right when I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'd love some guidance.

(for more info, I made its own thread before I saw/read through this thread.)

Er, in case this really is irrelevant: my apologies in advance.
mbo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35    Post subject: Newer build for WHR 300N Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm refreshing this very old topic about the Buffalo WHR 300N.

I used this router (WHR 300N v1) for a long time with a very old build. I would like to upgrade it but I cannot find any solution.

The wiki page says that I must use the BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 version but the link is broken and point the old BrainSlayer directory. On the beta page, I have found a directory named WHR-300N but I think it is for version 2 because, apparently, it doesn't boot.

Do I have any chance to get an updated version, I'm particularly interested in a KRACK patched version.

Thanks,
Marco
ArturoKiwi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46    Post subject: Re: Newer build for WHR 300N Reply with quote
mbo wrote:
Hi,

I'm refreshing this very old topic about the Buffalo WHR 300N.

I used this router (WHR 300N v1) for a long time with a very old build. I would like to upgrade it but I cannot find any solution.

The wiki page says that I must use the BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 version but the link is broken and point the old BrainSlayer directory. On the beta page, I have found a directory named WHR-300N but I think it is for version 2 because, apparently, it doesn't boot.

Do I have any chance to get an updated version, I'm particularly interested in a KRACK patched version.

Thanks,
Marco

Hi Marco, I'm still using this router too.
In these days I tried to update it with the last beta firmware I found in the ftp dd-wrt: 11-16-2017-r33772 with tftp, but the result was a soft-brick Sad

I'm trying all the firmware, but at now the last working firmware is the last of the 2015: 12-24-2015-r28598

Someone could tell me why?
ArturoKiwi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I must say that the problems that I have is with the OpenVPN version of the firmware, but the standard one is working!!!

That is running me mad! Evil or Very Mad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 12
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: