Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ppg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:25    Post subject: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Routers Reply with quote
It had always been my intent to get a UPnP server going with a DDWRT router. I think I have finally figured out how to do this. We will be using Mediatomb as our UPnP server. Although it's no Twonky, I think it does the trick better than uShare, with auto-updating directories and a web UI.

As you may already know, K26 builds don't let UPnP media servers to run. We overcome this by flashing a modded build that seems to fix this (Synapse).

I am running a WRT610n V2, which is limited to K26-builds. I can also see this solution working for other routers as well, such as the WNR3500L, though this config is untested. I think E3K owners are SOL, as there do not appear to be Synapse builds with the proper headers.

Steps to Follow

1. Flash your router to a Synpase build. Get it here: http://www.posix-shell.com/en/node/6.
2. If you have not done so yet, install Optware the Right Way as per the wiki.
3. Using ipkg, install mediatomb. Restart router.
Code:
ipkg install mediatomb

4. Mediatomb will NOT work out of the box. A few items need to be cleaned up. First, we need to fix/create the database. Run the following command in terminal.
Code:
cat /opt/share/mediatomb/sqlite3.sql | /opt/bin/sqlite3 /opt/etc/mediatomb/mediatomb.db

5. We need to set the network interface to which Mediatomb will point to. Do this by setting the following option in /opt/etc/mediatomb.conf. Find the line MT_OPTIONS at the beginning and add the following inside the quotes:
Code:
-e br0

6. Look through /opt/etc/mediatomb/config.xml. See if anything applies any of your UPnP devices. Uncomment and change as you need. For example, PS3 support requires a change of a simple boolean value.
Code:
<protocolInfo extend="yes"/>

7. Edit the file /opt/etc/default/mediatomb to enable daemon mode.
Code:
MT_ENABLE=true

8. Check to make sure S90mediatomb is executable in /opt/etc/init.d. I don't remember if it is with a fresh install. Reboot the router!
9. Visit Mediatomb's Web UI at port 50500 of your router. Add the files you want to share.
10. Impress any lady friends that come over with your TV streaming router! Cool

Notes
- Optware the Right Way was previously installed on the HDD attached to the router, and continues to work without hassle with this modded build.
- Settings saved from a non-modded DDWRT K26 build can be restored to the Synapse build without issue as well. At least for me. So far.

Outstanding Issues
- The default browsing experience via your UPnP device is somewhat ugly (though functional). It is presented either as a single list of ALL your videos in your library or you need to wade through several folders before you can actually get to your content. Although, Mediatomb is supposed to be flexible in this regard (see Mediatomb Scripting), any changes I made to the import.js file seem to cause the program to hang and make it unkillable, requiring a reboot of the router. If you're playing with this, make a backup of the corresponding files.
- The version of Mediatomb in Optware is 0.11.0-5 or about 2 years old. The current version of Mediatomb is 0.12.1. Perhaps this is related to the issue above.
- I tried to crosscompile from the newer sources using the makefile included with the toolchain, but the block seems to be a non-existant patch file (mediatomb_nas.patch). It exists for 0.11.0-5 but not for newer versions. I do not know who's responsibility it is (the Optware guys or Mediatomb developers) so I do not know who to approach.

Update (Apr 17/11)
Hooray, a precompiled version of mediatomb 0.12.1 has been found. Simply run:
Code:
ipkg install http://wl500g.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/optware/mediatomb_0.12.1-1_mipsel.ipk

This will update your mediatomb to the newest version.

Questions/comments?

Last edited by ppg on Mon Apr 18, 2011 0:34; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Amon_RA
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did you flash Synapse-0.1.6_dd-wrt.v24-K26_r15200_paperboy_mega.bin?

Do I need to flash a mini build first or can I just flash Synapse over a big eko build?
ppg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed straight from a big build. I guess the only part to note is that flashes on the WRT610n take a while (the countdown goes down into the double digits) vs other routers, so be patient!
strict
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:05    Post subject: Re: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Rou Reply with quote
ppg wrote:
It had always been my intent to get a UPnP server going with a DDWRT router. I think I have finally figured out how to do this. We will be using Mediatomb as our UPnP server. Although it's no Twonky, I think it does the trick better than uShare, with auto-updating directories and a web UI.

optware comes with Twonky. why not use that as opposed to mediatomb?
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
because mediatomb is free (twonkeyserver costs $20) and more is flexible to configure.
Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
ppg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 15:56    Post subject: Re: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Rou Reply with quote
[quote="strict"]
ppg wrote:

Twonky doesn't work with k26 builds, even the paperboy build.
ianrathbone
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm probably being daft but blind hope persuaded me to try installing this firmware on my RT-N16. It did however fail.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a solution for the RT-N16? It's killing me that I can't do streaming!!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 13:11    Post subject: Re: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Rou Reply with quote
strict wrote:
ppg wrote:

Twonky doesn't work with k26 builds, even the paperboy build.

Twonky does also have an attitude which sux.
They provide precompiled binaries for various cpu's (the source is not GPL) but give no support for these binary blobs.
If there is a need to change anything for running it then the change has to be done on the host system and not in the twonky code.

No support but you still have to pay the $20 license fee in case you should happen to get it working.... Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:51    Post subject: Re: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Rou Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
No support but you still have to pay the $20 license fee in case you should happen to get it working.... Shocked

I wouldn't mind paying $20-35 for proper UPnP streaming. However, than money can also go towards a true NAS unit.

In my mind, the ideal solution is a QNAP TS-x19 series NAS. It does optware, and comes with a ton of memory and a Twonky licence. Don't take this as a plug for the company though!
n3IVI0
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found a copy of Mediatomb 0.12.1-1 compiled for MIPSR2. I have it running on my WRT610Nv2. However, have not had any success as yet getting any of its advanced features to work (transcoding H264 and Matroska), and there is no version of ffmpegthumbnailer for Optware that I can find. Anyway, here it is: http://wl500g.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/optware/mediatomb_0.12.1-1_mipsel.ipk
oxygenx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
a router is anyways way to slow to do transcoding (even a nas unit is)
Modem: Cisco EPC3202
clients: Notebook 1, D-Link 323, PS3 Slim, Kathrein UFC960 connected to WDS Node 1 via Gigabit Switch. Notebook 2, Deskjet 6980 connected to WDS Node 2
ppg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
n3IVI0 wrote:
Anyway, here it is: http://wl500g.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/optware/mediatomb_0.12.1-1_mipsel.ipk

Thanks for finding that. I've put it in the original post. I'm not able to test it right now, as I'm away from my router (a moment of boredom caused me to wander back to the thread). However, can you or someone test out to see if the menu layouts here actually work?

Under 0.11.something, most of the menu layouts (what you actually see on the media renderer) caused mediatomb to lock up as soon as I went browsing under the web UI. There was only one very simple layout that I actually got to work, for reasons unknown.
diematrix99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 0:36    Post subject: Link is no more available Reply with quote
1. Flash your router to a Synpase build. Get it here: http://www.posix-shell.com/en/node/6.

This link is down, any other Download ource available. Or is it possible to use a newer version of Firmware for an WRT610Nv2?
ragit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 13:32    Post subject: dead link Reply with quote
link to .bin is dead
Raptor21
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 16:10    Post subject: Re: Guide to Mediatomb (UPnP Media Server) with K26-only Rou Reply with quote
ppg wrote:

Update (Apr 17/11)
Hooray, a precompiled version of mediatomb 0.12.1 has been found. Simply run:
Code:
ipkg install http://wl500g.googlecode.com/svn/ipkg/optware/mediatomb_0.12.1-1_mipsel.ipk

This will update your mediatomb to the newest version.

Questions/comments?

Is this package compiled with the patch for the Samsung's subtitles?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: