Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
trappedatuf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 18:07    Post subject: Mystery reset to defaults out of no-where! Reply with quote
So I've had my WHR-HP-G54 router setup with DD-WRT for about 2 weeks now and everything's worked fine. I come back after a couple days and notice that the router has the SSID of DD-WRT!

So I log in to it and find that everything has been reset to default settings! No one claims to have touched the reset switch... so it's a mystery?!?

My setup is plain, with no encryption, and I have Sputnick hotspot enabled, but everything else was nothing fancy, and it's just hooked to the back of my cable modem.

I set it up again and this time chose to disable the reset button (I hope this doesn't get me down the road) but the main question here is...

Is there any way the router would have reset to factory settings other than pressing the button? Question
Sponsor
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm.. power surge? dunno... thats odd indeed.
trappedatuf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually there were a few power outages today because of very bad weather... I didn't think a surge could wipe the memory though! What do you guys think?
skywalker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is very interesting! I also have a WHR-HP-G54 that got reset to factory defaults this last week. I was running dd-wrt.v23_SP2_standard and right after I tried to enable jffs2 via the remote access web interface, I lost contact with the router. The next day when I gained access to the local console, I found out it had been reset to defaults. I just assumed that it is a bug in enabling jffs2 via the remote interface while running SP2_standard on a WHR-HP-G54.

Can you give further details as to exactly what option(s), if any, you changed prior to the reset to defaults? Do you have any record as to what exact day this last week this happened? I just checked my records and my router was reset sometime during the evening of the 21st or early morning of the 22nd. I wonder if a power surge could wipe the memory out?? This is very strange! Confused

We may need to submit a report to the bug tracker regarding this issue.

Last edited by skywalker on Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:05; edited 4 times in total
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is build into firmware: automatic reset to defaults on every Xmas if you don't eat all your broccoli. Just to keep you busy... joke! Very Happy
skywalker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eko wrote:
This is build into firmware: automatic reset to defaults on every Xmas if you don't eat all your broccoli

lol, I knew it! Too much beer and not enough broccoli. Laughing
trappedatuf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ha! Well i've always hated brocolli... but douse it in cheese and it's definitely edible!

Anyway, I don't have an exact day but I know it was working fine at one point and then got reset to defaults (I hadn't changed any settings to cause this though). I really am thinking it was due to the power outages. I live in Florida, where do you live skywalker? Did you have bad weather that could have caused power issues or was it just a glitch when you were changing settings?

This shouldn't have happened around Christmas, it should have happened around Halloween because this is Mysterious!
fastpakr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Curiousity - are you running POE on these?
skywalker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
trappedatuf wrote:

I really am thinking it was due to the power outages. I live in Florida, where do you live skywalker? Did you have bad weather that could have caused power issues or was it just a glitch when you were changing settings?

I live in southern Oregon. Yes, the weather has been crap lately with a couple of brownouts that I remember. It has been raining so much we are starting to get minor flooding here.
skywalker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
fastpakr wrote:
Curiousity - are you running POE on these?

Yes, I am running poe. Here are a few pics of my setup. The only thing that is different than what you see in the pics is that outdoor-grade cat5e has replaced the flat ribbon test cable. I also placed a new jumper from the WAN port to LAN port #4 and then plugged the splitter into LAN port #3 so I can use PPPoE for WAN and still access the LAN.

LouCypher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's happened to me twice using the v24 beta. I just make sure to do a Backup after all the configuration is done so it's easier to restore if it happens again.
trappedatuf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I run POE as well... do you think that added to this error?
fastpakr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you guys using passive diy-type POE devices or something that sends power over at higher AC voltages? I've seen similar issues with a Linksys device when I made my own POE system. It would indiscriminately change the admin password or the SSID or any of a half dozen other settings.

Edit... I just looked up the DLink device in the pictures, and it appears to be 48v DC. Have you tried running a different, heavier gauge cable?
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, i noticed the same thing happened to one of my wrt54gs V2.1 a few months ago. I have absolutly no idea what caused it and no, it was not on POE. Hasn't happened since. I also have 2 WHR-HP-G54s that have never exibited the problem in question.

Adi
skywalker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 20:53    Post subject: solar radiation is to blame! Reply with quote
Here is my theory - solar radiation from the sun is to blame for our problems. If there is a physicist or electrical engineer who reads this post, please comment:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10765

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/061213_solar_storm.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6189457.stm

http://haacked.com/archive/2006/12/15/Did_A_Solar_Flare_Hose_My_Drive.aspx

Last edited by skywalker on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:19; edited 3 times in total
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: