N-driver: slowdown of speed & stop of client access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
sco77
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same thing with the TP-link WR1043nd.. It's hard to reproduce, wireless can stop working anywhere from a few hours after reboot to several days, even a week. The only thing I can note that helps reproduce the problem faster is when wireless clients are left idle for extended periods. Another issue is the routers latency stability seems to slowly decrease over time, starting out with 0-3ms gateway pings, and after its been on for awhile it will start randomly getting high latency spikes and sometimes sustained high latency.

dd-wrt has had over 200 internal builds since the latest release build (14929), so hopefully this was fixed in the upcoming release build.
Sponsor
Christer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Windows 7 issues... Reply with quote
I have also noticed that Windows 7 has issues with WLAN nowadays...something to do with latest patches from Micrsoft.

I got a good explanation from this guy:
http://besthubris.com/computers-internet/windows-randomly-disconnects-wireless-network-solution/comment-page-1/#comment-872

Quote:
Ok, here comes the glitch. If you have a small area wireless network, then it is possible that all of the computers will receive the broadcast at the same time, and they will all respond at the same time. This has a technical term, I don’t know it. When this happens, the wireless router won’t hear everyone properly. (Think about five kids shouting for mom). The router will either respond incorrectly, or not at all to one or more of the computers. This computer will wait for the proper response before it sends any more network traffic. This is why the connection does not show up in the icon as disconnected. It isn’t really. It is just that it will wait literally forever before it sends any other traffic for that proper response. Since the router thinks it already responded (or didn’t know it needed to respond), no signal will ever be sent, and BOOM, your connection is dropped.

What you need to do is,

Quote:
The settings you want to tweak are the fragmentation threshold and the RTS number (they might be called something slightly different, but you should be able to tell them.) The fragmentation usually comes set at 2346. Drop it to 2306. The RTS usually comes at 2347. Drop it to 2304. If it works, then here is your virtual high-five.

If not, then lower the Beacon (usually set at 100) to 50.

Still doesn’t work. Go to your computers and look at the card’s configuration. If it lets you choose between RTS and CTS, choose RTS. Otherwise, the RTS changes at the router will just be ignored.
Boulder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have this problem as well on my G300NV2. The client bridge device just suddenly stops responding, the device attached to it does get an IP address but the bridge itself doesn't work. I also cannot connect to it with Firefox to reboot it so I have had to shut it down by unplugging it.

I have to use r14896 because the client bridging doesn't work in r14929.
vpritiskovic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have the WZR-HP-G300NH (build in my sig) set up as client-repeater to internet gateway and have problems every single day: after about >12 hours of uptime, wireless interface (ath0.1) stops working (repeated wireless signal disappears) and wireless led indicator freezes (led is ON and stops blinking) and have to powercycle the device.

Any suggestions?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same situation with my TP-LINK 1043ND (atheros 9k based). Client mode (bridged, unbridged, WDS) is unstable. After some time under load the link is dropped and sometimes the device stops responding to local clients. With some FW versions the link is restored automatically after about 20 seconds but after a while it is dropped again. Seems to be driver problem.
Boulder wrote:
I have this problem as well on my G300NV2. The client bridge device just suddenly stops responding, the device attached to it does get an IP address but the bridge itself doesn't work. I also cannot connect to it with Firefox to reboot it so I have had to shut it down by unplugging it.

I have to use r14896 because the client bridging doesn't work in r14929.
v.plessky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
newvisionantenna wrote:

I could care less about all the extra 11n features if the most basic of functions is not working properly.

Ok, I understand your points.
Just a question, since how long back do you consider the ath9k to be a functional driver for you?
You said that it had been a "long and painful year" before the ath9k problems got fixed.
I'm asking you since I understand that you have quite a long experience with both ath9k and madwifi drivers.

OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1-RC3, released on 25 Aug.2010, works very well in 11n mode.
Tested on TP-Link WR841ND wireless router (Atheros chipset).
Several clients which I tested (both built-in miniPCI and USB Wi-Fi stick) are capable to connect at 300Mbps.
And connection is stable.

Just let me know if you need more detailed info.
I can send config files (/etc/config/wireless) if this can help.
Burned
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@v.plessky, are you using PPPoE because I really want to try out 10.03.1 but it says that PPPoE links might be unstable.
v.plessky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Burned wrote:
@v.plessky, are you using PPPoE because I really want to try out 10.03.1 but it says that PPPoE links might be unstable.

I was using 10.03.1-RC3 just for wireless.
As it makes no sense to buy new 802.11n router and have slow connection on it, after flashing it with *Wrt.
As wireless connection works fine - I can go further now.

For this reason I bought another router - TP-Link WR1043ND.
I plan to make it "central router" in my setup, and connect to Internet using it.
So far I am running it with stock firmware, and it works fine (Internet connectivity/PPPoE, wireless)
Before going further with reflashing WR1043ND with *Wrt, I'd like to make the most out of my WR841ND.

Standard LuCI web interface doesn't offer Network/Wireless/CPU statistics I need - at least with WR841ND (4MB flash).
So I plan to give a try to Gargoyle firmware, where graphics charts are built-in.
As soon as it is done, I can test PPPoE connectivity.
Burned
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I'll wait. Good luck with your plan.
macfive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems like I can run the WZR-HP-G300NH as an Access Point or in Client Mode without any issues but when I switch it to Client Bridge it essentially dies. There is a lot of talk about the Wireless N driver and Client Bridge being an issue, so I wonder if this is simply a DD-WRT issue at this point and not a WZR-HP-G300NH issue as I appeared to have similar issues with the WHR-HP-G300N both of which have the Atheros chipset.
v.plessky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
macfive wrote:
Seems like I can run the WZR-HP-G300NH as an Access Point or in Client Mode without any issues but when I switch it to Client Bridge it essentially dies. There is a lot of talk about the Wireless N driver and Client Bridge being an issue, so I wonder if this is simply a DD-WRT issue at this point and not a WZR-HP-G300NH issue as I appeared to have similar issues with the WHR-HP-G300N both of which have the Atheros chipset.

"Client Bridge" seems to me a Broadcom terminology.
With OpenWrt Backfire on WR841ND I have following wireless modes:
- Access Point
- Ad-Hoc
- Client
- 802.11s
- Monitor
- Access Point (WDS)
- Client (WDS)

Setup which I was testing is Access Point (WDS) and Client (WDS).
If I switch OpenWrt wireless mode to Client (WDS) and try to connect to WR1043ND router (or WA801ND AP), running stock firmware, that router/AP with stock firmware hangs.
It returns to operational state after reboot.

BUT: if I use Access Point (WDS) mode in OpenWrt, visible in settings as Master+WDS, I am able to connect to it from WR1043ND, using WDS "client" settings on stock firmware:
[Enter SSID to be Bridged:]
[Enter Mac address to be Bridged:]

I have not tested WDS with 2x OpenWrt or OpenWrt+DD-Wrt so far. Probably need one more unit for testing. Smile

Last edited by v.plessky on Wed Nov 03, 2010 15:52; edited 1 time in total
v.plessky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
v.plessky wrote:

With OpenWrt Backfire on WR841ND I have following wireless modes:
- Access Point
- Ad-Hoc
- Client
- 802.11s
- Monitor
- Access Point (WDS)
- Client (WDS)

TP-Link WR841ND uses Atheros chipset, and has 4MB Flash.
TP-Link WR1043ND uses Atheros chipset, and has 8MB Flash.
macfive
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not familar with OpenWRT as it was more complex to install than DD-WRT was. The issue which I am running into seams to be specifically related to the Wireless N driver and/or Client Bridge. With either Broadcom or Atheros, I have the following options available for the Wireless Mode: AP, Client, Client Bridge, Adhoc, Repeater and Repeater Bridge.

The main difference between the Client and Client Bridge mode is that with Client, you have two network segments while with Client Bridge you have both the Wireless and Wired on the same segment. I suspect that Client Bridge would be similar to WDS.
sanfrenchysco
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:15    Post subject: Bridge + WiFi issue ? How to help debug HW layer code ? Reply with quote
macfive wrote:
Seems like I can run the WZR-HP-G300NH as an Access Point or in Client Mode without any issues but when I switch it to Client Bridge it essentially dies.
There is a lot of talk about the Wireless N driver and Client Bridge being an issue, so I wonder if this is simply a DD-WRT issue at this point and not a WZR-HP-G300NH issue as I appeared to have similar issues with the WHR-HP-G300N both of which have the Atheros chipset.

Based on my testing on DIR615-C1 (Atheros N300) I can see issue with Rx/TX Antenna selection not working on builds from 14311 til latest (worst).
I tested Antenna selection by covering one antenna at the time with aluminium shield to figure out which is what while looking at signal strength both from Client Bridge and AP side.
The best setup is to use only antenna 3 for both Rx/Tx. Where Antenna-1 does NOT exist and Antenna-2 is not functional (good for nothing). So only one antenna nearly functional under DD-WRT.

Based on reading on this topic there is an issue pointing at the Bridge or driver implementation that may be related... at least it is all in the same Atheros HW ballpark.

Overall there is evidence that driver support for at least Atheros WiFi-N chips is not ready for prime time even for the commercial WRT Buffalo release.
The driver may not provide adequate HW control to WRT code. No Atheros API documentation .??

DD-WRT is a great FW but without a working hardware layer it is simply useless. Wish I could trace code at a lower level to turn up better information (dmesg too limited).

How can we HELP DEBUG CODE instead of just sit here complaining in frustration???
Danke.
UberB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:34    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 issues... Reply with quote
Christer wrote:

Quote:
The settings you want to tweak are the fragmentation threshold and the RTS number (they might be called something slightly different, but you should be able to tell them.) The fragmentation usually comes set at 2346. Drop it to 2306. The RTS usually comes at 2347. Drop it to 2304. If it works, then here is your virtual high-five.

Applied this fix on OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1 RC4 after Windows 7 decided to kick me off my WZR-HP-G300NH with a "connected, but no internet access". So far so good, will update if it starts to fail again.

Navigation

Jump to: