WRT610N v2 and tagged VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hpa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 0:44    Post subject: WRT610N v2 and tagged VLAN Reply with quote
Hello all,

I'm currently using Eko's dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin, and it is working great. The one thing, however, I have not gotten to work is tagged VLANs -- I would like to have multiple WLAN SSIDs and route them to a central router on different VLANs.

I might have gotten lost in the number of posts (140 pages worth!) in the WRT610N host, but I was under the impression that the VLAN options for the wired switch was not yet supported on this hardware. Does anyone know if that is still true, or if there is something else wrong in my system?

Thanks,

-hpa
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
VLAN tagging is not supported, not on any of the gigabit switches.
None of the router mfgr has it implemented so there is no source code available for this function of the switch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 20:10    Post subject: Current VLAN status on WRT610N v2 Reply with quote
This seems to be at least partially working now. I configured port 1 (as labeled on the back) as a 802.1q trunk for both VLANs (so I could hang an OpenBSD VPN endpoint off it). Currently vlan1 is working, and vlan2 is working between the WRT610N and the OpenBSD box.

A few interesting things of note. Ports 1 through 4 are number backwards on the WRT610N v2 (port 1 is port 4 and so on). The internal interface to the CPU is referred to as port 8 in the vlan#ports keys but 5 in the port5vlans key.

My current configuration is:
Code:
# nvram show | grep "vlan.ports\|port.vlans" | sort
size: 30306 bytes (2462 left)
new_vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
new_vlan2ports=0 8
port0vlans=2 18 19
port1vlans=1 18 19
port2vlans=1 18 19
port3vlans=1 18 19
port4vlans=1 2 16 18 19
port5vlans=1 2 16
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4t 8*
vlan2ports=0 4t 8

I had a still have a few questions that I hoped I could find some answers for here:
1. What exactly does the port#vlans keys do? I suspect these are the permitted VLANs to ingress and/or egress from the port.
2. What does the vlan#ports keys do?
3. What does the * suffix in a vlan#ports key do? 't' enabled 802.1q tagging.
4. Is there a way to view or reload the switch configuration at runtime, or is it just read from the NVRAM at boot?
5. Is there anything special to the higher numbered VLANs (16, 18, 19)? They seemed to just show up, but my hunch is the switch only support 16 and they are high bits for some other purpose.
6. What exactly does the /Vlan.asp page control? It doesn't seem to modify the vlan#ports keys.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
See these links.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62838

balblas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
First read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Bridging_WAN_and_a_LAN_port#Second_WAN_port

Then read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=481340#481340

Basicly the port#vlans option does nothing, it is only used by the GUI (which doesn't work to configure vlans on a wrt610 anyway).

You need to set the vlan#ports nvram variable to configure vlans. Don't forget to add 'nvram set vlan#hwname=et0' for any new vlan you create.

For the wrt610n you need to use the new_vlan1ports and new_vlan2ports variables because vlan1ports and vlan2ports is overwritten during a reboot every time.

So in your example use:
new_vlan1ports=1 2 3 4t 8*

Your setting 'vlan2ports=0 4t 8' doesn't work (as new_vlan2ports is what is used on a wrt610n), but is also not what you want, unless you want to bridge your WAN port (which is on vlan2) to switchport 4. What you need is to create an additional vlan, and connect it to switchport 4 (as a trunk):

vlan3ports=4t 8
vlan3hwname=et0

Last but not least you need to create a 2nd bridge (br1) to bridge the additional vlan to the additional WLAN interface (called wl0.1). The bridge can be created via the GUI (including assigning an IP-address on a seperate subnet), resulting in:

bridgesif=br1>vlan3>63 br1>wl0.1>63

Because the GUI only works partly, I set everything I want in the GUI 1st, including any additional bridges, and then set the vlan#ports and vlan#hwname=et0 manually in nvram. After a reboot all works fine then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: