Broadcom Datasheets/Giant Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods

If such a breakout device as is proposed here was available, installed on your router for under $20, would you be interested?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 23:27    Post subject: Broadcom Datasheets/Giant Project Reply with quote
So... After searching the net high and low, datasheets on Broadcom chipsets just dont exist apparently, at least to the hobbyist. Is there any project out there that attempts to reverse-engineer any of the relevant chips in any way? A partial pinout?

I understand that my project has crossed the line from economically sound to somewhere between "why" and "because i (think I) can", but my intention is to fab a small pcb to "sandwich" between the Broadcom chip and the WRT mainboard to break out some of the signals that we are currently denied access to.

I know there is USB in there after reading a post a few days ago, and that is obviously a high priority, but addition address line to max ram and flash are available, as many of the newer models are missing at least 1. My question is, if we are unable to locate pinouts, what else is in there for us to look for? More GPIOs maybe?

It is apparent that the datasheets are under NDA of some variety, and thus, has anyone heard of a hobbyist or small company(LLC) succesfully navigating this process? Or would my proposed product violate the NDA just by existing?

Thanks to any help that can be provided.
Sponsor
jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Progress Update:
I have begun to attempt to gather more hardware for the reverse-engineering effort, and I am seeking donations and low-price sales of BROKEN WRT and other Broadcom based routers. I have begun teardown of a few V5/V7s that I had hanging around. Burned out the element in the hot air gun, so I am waiting on another one.

I have created a wiki to post and document progress. Ultimatly I would love to merge such content into the DD-WRT wiki, but the work that I will be doing is likely to be very image-intensive, and I would like opinions and official OK before I unload that kind of traffic on a server that doesn't belong to me.

http://www.jdownj.com/wiki/phase3/index.php
jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody want a BCM5354? Got a few on the way here for experimenting. Need to look at the PCB for a router that implements the USB included in the 5534, If somebody has any pointers on a cheap one or a broken one.

Currently testing DD-WRT on:
Ubiquiti RouterStation
(2x)WRT54GS V5
jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Progress Update:
Significant changes to the Wiki. I ask that anyone who has 5 minutes please try to read the main page to understand what I am trying to do here.

I'm off to track down a PHP configuration error:(

Ubiquiti RouterStation
(2x)WRT54GS V5
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
good enthusiasm
Wink :wink:

you should search my threads
jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zerx-
Permission to integrate data from your USB thread mod into the wiki? Looks like a big help! Can you post the specs of the ESD diodes that you used? I want to write it up into a proper howto after testing on my GL

Ubiquiti RouterStation
(2x)WRT54GS V5
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have a look here.

http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/InfoDepot_Wiki

May be some info you can use.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
zerx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
yes these infos are open sources

just google "usb esd diode"

but they are optional components and you may simply ignore them
jdownj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zerx-
Thanks. This is going to be a big help.

Dark_Shadow-
Thanks. I'm reading your wiki and learning a lot.

I have a variety of Broadcom SOCs on the way here. I really need to learn Chinese, there are so many sources and opportunities for an electronics hobbyist. I'm working on a RAM mod on a GV8, and waiting for the first routers for teardown. I tore apart a GV5 the other day, but my impatience bit me in the rear, I lifted the chip without it getting hot enough and lifted a few traces with it.

Ubiquiti RouterStation
(2x)WRT54GS V5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: