Routers that will and won't support VLAN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Dark Shadow no prbs, just curious, i wrestled with it like i said for about 2 hrs, nothing, couldn't even get it working at the port lvl, but i may have to snag one of those test builds here and give her a go.

@ balblas most excellent, and probably works lot better considering the conversion opens up some extra NVRAM, but none the less, i am gonna try it on a converted 320N and an E2000 as well (have my friends here to play with and compare converted vs original E2000) so far though, i cannot tell any difference in the 2, so it should work with either, and phuzi0n seems to have already found that it works with the wrt320N so we should be all good.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
@ Dark Shadow no prbs, just curious, i wrestled with it like i said for about 2 hrs, nothing, couldn't even get it working at the port lvl, but i may have to snag one of those test builds here and give her a go.
yea I figured you had so much time invested in it already, I didn't wanna step on any toes, besides i have been busy with the 600N Smile

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol... well in the famous words of my friends... ROCK ON with ya bad self!

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
balblas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
@buddee Yes, nvram free on the E2000: 37075.

On my WRT610v1 I have only 2471 left... Unfortunately I can't convert it to an E3000 as far as I know. That only works for WRT610v2's right?

Re. the country code. I updated the CFE to v16 on my WRT610v1 long time ago as well. Never realized the countrycode would be overwritten by that as well. Just checked the CFE on the WRT610v1 and yes, it is also saying US2 and Q2... I can still select all the channels on both 2.4 as 5GHz bands though, even the ones that are legal in EU but prohibited in the US...

My guess is Linksys stock firmware checks the countrycode but DD-WRT doesn't care Laughing

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ip_nat_pptp             2560   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_pptp       3036   1
ip_nat_proto_gre        1664   0 (unused)
ip_conntrack_proto_gre    2584   0 [ip_nat_pptp ip_conntrack_pptp]
etherip                 5104   0 (unused)
bcm57xxlsys           120016   1

Quote:
ls /proc/switch

returns nothing

I'm betting you were manually loading switch-core and switch-robo when you tested on 14929 and now you're not. Those two modules create the /proc/switch directory which is then used to update the VLAN port configurations live. If you load those two modules then you'll probably be able to reconfigure the VLAN's with the GUI again.

balblas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
@phuzi0n So are you saying manually loading switch-core and switch-robo only once is enough? If so, I guess if you reset the router (using reset button or revert to factory settings) requires manually loading switch-core and switch-robo again?

I did manually loads them yes, and added them to the startup script as well, rebooted, vlans worked fine, then removed them from startup script, rebooted again, vlans still worked fine...

buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
balblas wrote:
@phuzi0n So are you saying manually loading switch-core and switch-robo only once is enough? If so, I guess if you reset the router (using reset button or revert to factory settings) requires manually loading switch-core and switch-robo again?

I did manually loads them yes, and added them to the startup script as well, rebooted, vlans worked fine, then removed them from startup script, rebooted again, vlans still worked fine...

nah he was talking to dark shadow about the wrt600n

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
You guys try this on WNDR3300 yet?

Yes but all I did was check that it creates the VLAN interfaces, I've been focusing on my wrt150n v1.1 which also has a BCM4704 CPU. You've either got to get the test build and use the commands Eko posted, or manually do everything that the patch does (set boardflag=0x110, set lan_ifnames to include the vlan that has you lan ports, etc.) which is what I did on my wrt150n v1.1 and wndr3300.

I can now confirm that wrt150n v1.1 has 802.1q support on the LAN ports. The port mapping is like this:

1 2 3 4 | case labels
0 1 2 3 | nvram port numbers

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
balblas wrote:

Those two kernel modules are only for updating the VLAN port mapping live without having to reboot. They do nothing on the wrt320n and probably any model with BCM53115 switches AFAICT. I think they need to be coded to interface with the BCM53115 correctly but it's not really important to be able to update the config live just as long as you can configure it at all. The driver for the switch reads the nvram variables itself and configures the VLAN's directly as I understand it which is why setting the nvram variables works.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Eko wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

Will this apply to all of the BCM4704 based models?

-no,

Can we get a clarification please, should we understand that as dd-wwr can only handle vlan's on one MII port?

A 5325E with single MII port connected to one of the 4704 MII ports will be able to have the wan port in a vlan?

Yeah, can you please explain any reason why other BCM4704 models wouldn't be able to have VLAN's for their LAN ports? I just confirmed that a wrt150n v1.1 can do VLAN's and even create a 802.1q trunk but for years we've been led to believe that it couldn't.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=188606#188606

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
I'm betting you were manually loading switch-core and switch-robo when you tested on 14929 and now you're not. Those two modules create the /proc/switch directory which is then used to update the VLAN port configurations live. If you load those two modules then you'll probably be able to reconfigure the VLAN's with the GUI again.
No sir, sure wasn't. So I went back to 929 on the 600N to make sure. From a fresh proper flash that included hard resets. It appears the GUI doesn't work. After telneting into it and entering (Note: I didn't reset anything, port 4 is still on the WAN vlan in the GUI)

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan1ports="1 2 3 8*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram set vlan2ports="0 4 8*"
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram commint
root@DD-WRT:~# reboot

The 600 came back online and I was able to connect. I reran

Code:
nvram show | grep vlan.ports
nvram show | grep port.vlans
nvram show | grep vlan.hwname

And it appeared to have gone back to the default setting like before.

Code:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.ports
vlan2ports=0 8*
vlan0ports=
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*
size: 22099 bytes (10669 left)
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep port.vlans
port5vlans=1 2 16
port3vlans=1 18 19
port1vlans=1 18 19
port4vlans=2 18 19
port2vlans=1 18 19
port0vlans=2 18 19
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.hwname
vlan2hwname=et0
vlan1hwname=et0
vlan0hwname=

Port 4 is now acting like a wan port. Explain that one. The nvram indicates no other port to to be on the WAN vlan yet port 4 is.

If I move port 4 back to the LAN vlan without changing anything in the nvram, it acts like a LAN port. If I move port 3 in the GUI to the WAN vlan, port 4 Acts like a WAN port, Same if I move port 1 to the WAN vlan, Port 4 only will act like a WAN port. Yet I still get

Code:
vlan2ports=0 8*
vlan0ports=
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*

This is strange indeed.... Now what do I do Phuzi0n? Eko?

EDIT: ls /proc/switch still returns nothing

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
LOM wrote:
Changing the variables manually via Telnet and then issuing a reboot will cause that program to update the variables before it shuts down.
You can change them via Telnet as much as you want but they will always be updated to reflect the gui settings. Smile

Dark_Shadow said that a LAN port is functioning as a WAN port after a reboot, so the nvram variables are being reset sometime after the driver reads them and before the system finishes booting.

here you can see what caused the nvram vars to always be rewritten, they were forced by dd-wrt :D

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/changeset/15047

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
The restructure looks great phuzi0n!! Looks good.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

Port 4 is now acting like a wan port. Explain that one. The nvram indicates no other port to to be on the WAN vlan yet port 4 is.

If I move port 4 back to the LAN vlan without changing anything in the nvram, it acts like a LAN port. If I move port 3 in the GUI to the WAN vlan, port 4 Acts like a WAN port, Same if I move port 1 to the WAN vlan, Port 4 only will act like a WAN port. Yet I still get

Code:
vlan2ports=0 8*
vlan0ports=
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 8*

This is strange indeed.... Now what do I do Phuzi0n? Eko?

EDIT: ls /proc/switch still returns nothing

Reboot again and see if it still acts that way. After you reboot then first check if you get this weird behavior moving ports around in the GUI. Then load the two kernel modules and look in /proc/switch again.

@LOM - Yes I've talked about that change since it was done. Now it seems more screwed than either of us thought.

Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright I rebooted and it passed DHCP to the main router and is no longer pulling and IP, so I would say it's now acting like a LAN port.

Remember this in 929 not the Eko test build.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 17, 18, 19  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 10 of 19
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: