Netgear 3500L, ports, VLANs and networks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MvdL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 19:20    Post subject: Netgear 3500L, ports, VLANs and networks Reply with quote
So, I've read a bunch of stuff on vlans and ports ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switched_Ports ), and now have my router sort of working (still need to do some firewall work).

Questions:
    How do I know what port is associated with the back of the router. I associated a vlan with port 2, which I expected to be the port with the green arrow (see attachment), which lights up the number '2' up front. Unfortunately, the port is actually the one indicated with the red arrow, which lights up the number 3 on the front!

Why does the new vlan I defined does not get started on boot time, I need to add an ifconfig statement to the rc_startup variable. I also went to the gui and configured it there (in the networking tab, under 'Network Configuration vlan3'), but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Where do I fond out what the differences in 'Operating Mode' is (advanced routing tab)?

Off to iptables Very Happy ...

3500l.jpg
 Description:
back of 3500
 Filesize:  16.68 KB
 Viewed:  15581 Time(s)

3500l.jpg

Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
As explained on that wiki page the port numbering for the nvram variables can be reverse of what they are labelled on the case. You just have to test and figure it out yourself. The easiest way to figure it out is to just remove the highest or lowest number from the LAN VLAN and then see what port stops responding. The rest of the LAN ports will still be sequentially numbered.

Could you be specific about what ALL of your nvram variables are currently set to, what settings you tried for vlan3 on the networking page, and what ifconfig commands you're using? I've tested with a wrt320n which has the same BCM53115 switch as your WNR3500L without any trouble getting the vlan to start on boot.

The "gateway" operating mode does NAT on the WAN port, "router" disables NAT, and the other modes are named for the routing protocol they enable.

MvdL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did not want to post the full nvram list, but I think these are the relevant ones (feel free to chastise!). Now that I sort of know what I'm doing I may just define a different subnet on each port and label the back.

vlan1ports=4 3 1 8*
    vlan2ports=0 8
    vlan3ports=2 8
    port0vlans=2
    port1vlans=1
    port2vlans=3
    port3vlans=1
    port4vlans=1
    port5vlans=1 2 3 16
    vlan1hwname=et0
    vlan2hwname=et0
    vlan3hwname=et0
    rc_startup=ifconfig vlan3 10.0.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    vlan3_bridged=0
    vlan3_ipaddr=10.0.1.1
    vlan3_mtu=1500
    vlan3_multicast=0
    vlan3_nat=1
    vlan3_netmask=255.255.255.0
    vlan3hwname=et0
    vlan3ports=2 8

So, this works, but I need the rc_startup. I also noticed that by default, iptables is configured to allow access from that secondary subnet to everything. That threw me for a bit. I.e. I have to do:
Code:

iptables -D INPUT -i vlan3 -j ACCEPT
iptables -D FORWARD -i vlan3 -j ACCEPT

But I have gotten most of the config working the way I want it now.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
The port numbering seems identical to the wrt320n's. From left to right it's 0 4 3 2 1.

So the vlan3 interface comes up properly (no ifconfig vlan3 up that I expected) but for some reason it doesn't get the IP/netmask assigned. Are you sure you didn't just hit Save and never Apply or rebooted it? Try removing the startup script and then rebooting. I have an unbridged VLAN on all my test models that gets assigned an IP properly on every model.

MvdL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 16:12    Post subject: I stand corrected! Reply with quote
I stand corrected!

Removed the rc_startup, and it does get configured. Given how much I played around with it, I must indeed have not saved something when I thought I did.

Back to testing all my iptables rules.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: