Which 801.11n Device?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
divB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 22:08    Post subject: Which 801.11n Device? Reply with quote
Hi,

ATM I have a few (over 10 Smile ) WRT54GL with DD-WRT and I was lucky with them. However, they are old I wish to have more speed: I am searching for a WRT54GL replacement for 802.11n.

However, the market is so huge; I am unable to find a good device.

A few thoughts:
* I need no router only access points. But the routers are much cheaper. Is there a reason not to buy a router?
* I looked at [1] in the Wiki but this is somehow outdated (I have WRT54GLs Smile )
* I looked at the list at [2]. But it is so huge! Some devices are very cheap, others are expensive. So I have no clue whether the expensive ones are better or not.
* I know from the past that some devices are very stable and good (WRT54GL) while others are working with DD-WRT but only with problems (low memory, JTAG when bricked, ...). So I would the the "best" and most recommended device for DD-WRT

* The device should be fully backwards compatible with 802.11abg
* ... virtual WLANs should be supported
* The more memory the better (IPv6, Tools like tcpdump etc. would be fine)
* Routing etc. not important
* If there are many switch ports: Even better, so I could remove my current switch

and maybe - as said - the most important thing: Best DD-WRT supported, best stable and few power consumption :-)

For example: The WHR-G300N would be supported and very cheap [3]! Is it good?

I found that 802.11n devices seem to be more expensive than 802.11n draft. Is this the case? Why? Is there a reason to prefer the former?

Regards, divB

/EDIT: I also saw that some devices have problems with VLANS. Also VLANs is a must-have feature for me.

[1] http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Which_router_should_I_buy.3F
[2] http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices_802.11n
[3] http://geizhals.at/a365810.html
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remember in all this, you get what you pay for, i would stick with broadcom for compatibility, something like...

Netgear WNR3500L

Asus RT-N16

Linksys E2000 or E3000

just to name a few.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
h4x0r
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the E3000 and have never regretted it. If you don't need USB, get the E2000. Just a reminder, that you might want the USB feature someday, so if you want to future proof your router, get the E3000. There are other good router out there, too. Like for example the WRT600N. (Darn expensive though)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: