DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
davy_gravy wrote:
@ RHandy and baba2 & anyone else who figured that out: very nice job!

Would you two (& whoever else helped) be OK with me adding the procedure you came up with to the Lemonade site? You'd be acknowledged there as the one(s) who figured it out, and it would certainly help others out.

BTW, I'm thinking that it might be nice to have the default behavior for telnet just to be OFF. It very easy to add a line or two of code in the Lemonade to show the status of telnetd, and if running, then provide a kill switch, if stopped, provide start switch.

I guess I feel a little uncomfortable about it since telnet w/o password is so unsecured.

davy_gravy, pls go ahead and add it.

Thanks to 'BBBexodus' who first tried the client mode.

Now as we have this router in client bridge mode, can we enhance it to an Repeater Very Happy
Looks like we can have two SSID in this router

# nvram show | grep wl0
size: 1084 bytes (31684 left)
wl0.1_wep=disabled
wl0.1_akm=psk2
wl0.1_crypto=aes
lan_ifnames=eth0 wl0 usb0
wl0.1_auth=0
wl0.1_ifname=wl0.1
wl0.1_hidden=1
wl0_ifname=wl0
wl0_auth=0
wl0_wpa_psk=
wl0_hidden=0
wl0.1_wpa_psk=8r7JZ753g6
wl0_key1=1111111111
wl0_auth_mode=none
wl0_phytype=g
wl0_key2=
wl0_key3=
wl0_key4=
wl0.1_auth_mode=none
wl0_key=1
wl0.1_ssid=VZHR050138
wl0_wep=enabled
wl0.1_key=1
wl0_wsc_mode=enabled
wl0_ssid=TESTING
wl0_akm=
Sponsor
sheffy6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 15:41    Post subject: Re: Wireless Router Bridge Done Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
Hey Guys!

I finally made to work this out.
Now I can make this router bridge wirelessly!
I can navigate on internet too...

Thanks!

Are you also able to print using davy's mods? I have the bridge setup and working, but now the shared printer no longer works. I'm guessing because the print server is binding to the IP of the router (192.168.200.1) instead of the bridge IP. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tested with a wired connection w/ static ip to the Westell and was able to print on 192.168.200.1:9100. Davy, is there a way we can bind the print server to the bridged IP or create a mapping for the port?
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
davy_gravy wrote:
@ RHandy and baba2 & anyone else who figured that out: very nice job!

Would you two (& whoever else helped) be OK with me adding the procedure you came up with to the Lemonade site? You'd be acknowledged there as the one(s) who figured it out, and it would certainly help others out.

BTW, I'm thinking that it might be nice to have the default behavior for telnet just to be OFF. It very easy to add a line or two of code in the Lemonade to show the status of telnetd, and if running, then provide a kill switch, if stopped, provide start switch.

I guess I feel a little uncomfortable about it since telnet w/o password is so unsecured.

Go ahead. I'm agree...

@baba2s I wanted to make this Router a Repeater, but I couldn't. But NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. Cool
lbwarped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do we need to do anything special with our router before running this code that you mention? The code turns the router into a wireless bridge so that both wired and wireless clients from the bridge can connect to the main router?

Thanks for your hard work!
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
lbwarped wrote:
Do we need to do anything special with our router before running this code that you mention? The code turns the router into a wireless bridge so that both wired and wireless clients from the bridge can connect to the main router?

Thanks for your hard work!

1) No. You don't need anything special. Just a Router.
2) Yes it turns your Router into a Wireless Bridge and both, wired and wireless clients from bridge can connect to the main Router. Just read follow the instructions carefully.
lbwarped
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
ifconfig wl0 192.168.1.5
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wl0
echo "nameserver 4.2.2.1" > /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 4.2.2.2" >> /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables --table nat -A POSTROUTING -o wl0 -j MASQUERADE

5) Click Save then Apply.

6) Go to the Router Advanced Settings and Activate the Public LAN but WITHOUT the DHCP and make sure that the Modem IP is "192.168.200.1" and the Subnet Mask "255.255.255.0". Click Apply. (The Router will restart).

So according to that code, the new IP of the bridge would be 192.168.200.1 (I'm assuming that "Modem IP" really means 'this router's IP')? What does 192.168.1.5 signify? Also, would the bridged router have the same SSID/key as the main router? If so, would it be possible to change it or to turn off wireless connections (but keep wired connections)?
JustTrying
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
lbwarped wrote:
Quote:
ifconfig wl0 192.168.1.5

6) Go to the Router Advanced Settings and Activate the Public LAN but WITHOUT the DHCP and make sure that the Modem IP is "192.168.200.1" and the Subnet Mask "255.255.255.0". Click Apply. (The Router will restart).

So according to that code, the new IP of the bridge would be 192.168.200.1 (I'm assuming that "Modem IP" really means 'this router's IP')? What does 192.168.1.5 signify? Also, would the bridged router have the same SSID/key as the main router? If so, would it be possible to change it or to turn off wireless connections (but keep wired connections)?

If I understand it correctly, the 192.168.1.5 is the IP you get from the router you connect to (let's call it primary router) as a client. In my case that would be 10.0.1.18. In my setup, I can ping 10.0.1.18 (your 192.168.1.5) from all computers connected to my primary router. but I can't ping 192.168.200.1. Via telnet on the verizon router I can see the it resolves 192.168.200.1 to self.

Do you have the print services enabled? I would love to use the router as client to my primary router and as my print server. Anyone been able to do that?
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
technically, I think you need only the following things to enable the USB print server:

- the usblp.ko module, loaded (use insmod)
- the correct directories created for the p910nd app
- the binary p910nd and the command to start it, with the configuration in the command line...

These are all in the script (lemonade_script-1.2, I think its called).

With the configuration options for the command as it appears in that script, it should bind to the address of the router that it is running on, at port 9100. You have to make sure that none of your routing/firewall stuff gets in the way, though. I think I remember that some of the firewall settings (maybe the highest, or the highest one & the next one down) blocked access to it.

I haven't taken a look at how you all dealt w/ Firewall setting as you set up this nice new Wireless Bridge Mode scheme. Does your sequence of command, as posted, put up a high firewall?

It sounds like sheffy6 may be already close to figuring out the best way for this... ?
sheffy6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interestingly, I have wl0 on the 7501 set to 192.168.0.3, but I can't ping it from other computers on my network. If I plug directly into the 7501 with DHCP, I can browse internet and the computer can be pinged by other computers. Not sure why I can't ping the router.
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
any chance you have to add a route?

(if so, see the last step in the wireless switch article...)
ez2kill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 22:22    Post subject: Re: Wireless Router Bridge (7501 to 7501) Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
@baba2s

MAKE SURE TO READ ALL THIS INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING IT.

Here are the instructions...

1) Master Reset the Router that you want that connects as a client to the other one.

2) Go to the Router Web UI and go to Firewall Settings. Select Custom, then Apply.

3) Afther that, click Edit.

4) Assuming that your Main Router Gateway is 192.168.1.1, delete all the code and Paste this one:

wl ap 0
wl wsec 1
wl wet 1
wl channel 1
wl scan
wl scanresults
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone
wl join SSID key PASSWORD
ifconfig wl0 192.168.1.5

7) After that, go again to Advanced Settings and deactivate the Private LAN and its DHCP.

8) Turn the Router OFF then Turn it ON again.

9) Enjoy!

P.S.

* If you will use the same Brand of Router, change the Modem IP of the one that will be serving the Wireless Connection to "192.168.1.1" instead of "192.168.200.1". If you don't it will conflict with the second one.

Any questions, just let me know...

Will this just receive a signal from another Verizon router like this one or will it bridge and route any wireless signal?
EZ out
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ez2kill
It will bridge any router signal.
Just make sure you change this sample to the correct configuration (E.g. Modem IP) or it will not work.
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
@ez2kill
Just make sure you change this sample to the correct configuration (E.g. Modem IP) or it will not work.

I have not tried this, but it sounds awesome!
Can it be either WPA or WEP? Any restrictions?
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 13:18    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote
davy_gravy wrote:
Rhandy wrote:
@ez2kill

I have not tried this, but it sounds awesome!
Can it be either WPA or WEP? Any restrictions?

Yes, here is the first post from BBBexodus... google for WL commands for more details..

BBBexodus wrote:
Heres what I've been doing. From the telnet trick decribed earlier on this thread.
Code:
wl ap 0
wl wsec 1 (0: open 1:WEP 2:TKIP)
wl wet 1
wl channel 11
wl scan
wl scanresults
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

I assume WEP works like this:
Code:
wl join MySSID key MyWEPKEY

An open network:
Code:
wl join MySSID amode open

A wpa tkip/aes/wpapsk/etc network uses nas instead of wl join. Example TKIP wpapsk:
Code:
nas -P /var/nas.lan.pid -H 34954 -i wl0 -S -m 4 -k XXXXXX -s XXXXXX -w 2 -g 3600 &
udhcpc -i wl0
ifconfig wl0 leased-ip

Then try ping router_ip. Further test your connection:
Code:
cd /var/usb_mount/
./busybox-mips httpd -p 81 ./

Try getting some files via http from a remote location.
This setup would be useful for a bookshelf hdd, remote camera, etc. I am trying to get ip forwarding to work so that wifi can be used on a ps2/xbox/old operating system, but the firewall is in the way.
Code:
route add default gw (router_ip) wl0

Add my dns servers to /var/etc/resolv.conf, and I can ping domain names. I've booted into a live CD without any of my settings, the westell as the only live connection. From the live cd prompt ~#ping www.yahoo.com, it resolves the ip but hangs. traceroute www.yahoo.com resolves the ip, it reaches the westell but no further. These are firewall issues I think.

Also the westell has a problem of losing the connection after a short time of inactivity in client mode. Keeping the unit upright seems a little better.
ez2kill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
@ez2kill

I gave it a try, but after this:
Quote:

While trying to reconnect, my wire connection kept dropping and I could not get back into the router, I finally had to do a master reset, to put it all back.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

EZ out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 34 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: