DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you comment on this?

I successfully upload the bootloader by jtag with command

./tjtag -flash:custom /window:1e000000 /start:1e000000 /length:20000 /swap_endian /bypass

Then I replaced the custom.bin by kernel file and upload the kernel by jtag

./tjtag -flash:custom /window:1e000000 /start:1e2be4c0 /length:c9a98 /swap_endian /bypass

rootfs by jtag

./tjtag -flash:custom /window:1e000000 /start:1e387ffc /length:478000 /swap_endian /bypass

only the bootloader is working.

davy_gravy wrote:
lijianch wrote:
I wonder if we can put the busybox into built in flash rather than the usb thumb drive.

So, did you revive your router?

About busybox and putting it (or other binaries) into flash rather than on the usb thumb drive ... I don't think that is possible. The rootfs is read-only, by design. I'm pretty sure that there is no way to alter the rootfs's dirs, except for /var. You can change /var and its contents, of course, but the changes are nonpersistent.

=======

...thinking about this a bit more... if there were a nice way to decompress, alter, and then recompress the image, it might work, but it would required flashing the ROM chips ... which as you know, is risky...

In fact, I'd seen something like this done with the LinkStation NAS devices ... a friend of mine had made firmimg.bin that had a revised kernel, some extra utilities (fs stuff, wget, ftp, etc) - he'd forgotten to tweak one thing with permissions that made ftp a bit funky - and someone else came along and found a tool (firmimg-tool, IIRC) that would unpacked & repack it - and thats how he fixed the funky permissions problem.

I'm not sure any such tool exists for the way that Westell's toolchain handles the image creation, though. I'm pretty sure that they use LZMA to compress it... I do see mksquashfs in their tools dir, but not unsquashfs. Not sure if their mksquashfs is vanilla, or a customized version.
Sponsor
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
are there any significant ranges in the memory locations that have been skipped?

Aside from wholeflash, how many mtd partitions are there? You'll have to make sure you have them all flashed in.

There should be one for bootloader, kernel, rootfs, and then one for ffs, I think.
IIUC, ffs would have the stuff from nvram that the router uses.
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 22:23    Post subject: Wireless Router Bridge Done Reply with quote
Hey Guys!

I finally made to work this out.
Now I can make this router bridge wirelessly!
I can navigate on internet too...

Thanks!
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:01    Post subject: Re: Wireless Router Bridge Done Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
Hey Guys!

I finally made to work this out.
Now I can make this router bridge wirelessly!
I can navigate on internet too...

Thanks!

Hey great Very Happy
What was missing ?
I am still struggling .. Pls. post your settings
Thanks
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
four files, bootloader, rootfs, kernel, ffs

do you know how to use buildroot to customize the firmware?

davy_gravy wrote:
are there any significant ranges in the memory locations that have been skipped?

Aside from wholeflash, how many mtd partitions are there? You'll have to make sure you have them all flashed in.

There should be one for bootloader, kernel, rootfs, and then one for ffs, I think.
IIUC, ffs would have the stuff from nvram that the router uses.
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:50    Post subject: Wireless Router Bridge Mode (Verizon Westell 7501) Reply with quote
MAKE SURE TO READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE DOING IT.

This will make your router to connect to a Wireless network and bridge the connection to the wired clients connected to it.

Here are the instructions...

1) Factory reset the Verizon Westell 7501 Router that you want to connect as a client.

2) Go to the Router Web UI at http://192.168.200.1. Go to Firewall Settings. Select Custom, then Apply.

3) Wait a few seconds and then click Edit.

4) Delete all the code and Paste this one:

wl ap 0
wl wsec 1
wl wet 1
wl channel 1
wl scan
wl scanresults
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone
wl join SSID key PASSWORD
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wl0
echo "nameserver 4.2.2.1" > /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 4.2.2.2" >> /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables --table nat -A POSTROUTING -o wl0 -j MASQUERADE

5) Click Save, wait a few seconds then Apply.

6) Go to the Router Advanced Settings and Activate the Public LAN WITHOUT the DHCP and make sure that the Modem IP is "192.168.1.2" and the Subnet Mask "255.255.255.0". Click Apply.

7) Wait while the Router restarts.

8) Go again to Advanced Settings and deactivate the Private LAN and its DHCP and make sure that the Modem IP is "192.168.1.2" and the Subnet Mask "255.255.255.0". Click Apply.

9) Turn the Router OFF, wait a few seconds and then turn it ON again.

10) Enjoy!

Notes:

* wl sec 1 means WEP security. You should change the number depending on the network security type you're connecting to.

* wl channel 1 is the channel of the wireless network. Change it if the channel is different.

* SSID and PASSWORD is the wireless network you want to contect to.

* 192.168.1.1 is the default gateway of router you're connecting to. Change it if is different.

If something goes wrong, don't worry. Just factory reset the router and try again.

Last edited by Rhandy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:16; edited 7 times in total
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:

Worked.. thanks

davy_gravy, can you please add this feature in your site.
THis will be cool feature for many who can't route the network cable to other end of house or with x-box or other devices.

Thank you all for making all this efforts
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 0:44    Post subject: No need to reset the router again to change settings Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:

P.S.

* Don't worry about the telnet trick.
The Router that connects as a client to the other one will be inaccesible. You won't be able to access it again (unless you do a Master Reset, but you will have to do all this steps again). That means, that its totally secured.

* If you want to change the SSID or the PASSWORD, change it before copying the Direwall Custom code. Otherwise, you will have to do a Master Reset and start all over again.

No need to do reset to change the SSID/password because the router still have access as 192.168.200.1 from LAN. Just have the static IP of your laptop to say 192.168.200.20 and connect to router.
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:17    Post subject: Re: No need to reset the router again to change settings Reply with quote
baba2s wrote:
Rhandy wrote:

P.S.

* Don't worry about the telnet trick.
The Router that connects as a client to the other one will be inaccesible. You won't be able to access it again (unless you do a Master Reset, but you will have to do all this steps again). That means, that its totally secured.

* If you want to change the SSID or the PASSWORD, change it before copying the Direwall Custom code. Otherwise, you will have to do a Master Reset and start all over again.

No need to do reset to change the SSID/password because the router still have access as 192.168.200.1 from LAN. Just have the static IP of your laptop to say 192.168.200.20 and connect to router.

OK! In that case, Anyone knows how to close the Telnet after is opened?
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:28    Post subject: Re: No need to reset the router again to change settings Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:

Actually we start the telnet session just to test the commands. As now you have all the commands, you don't need to start the telnet session.
you can remove /&/& /sbin/telnetd from your code or comment it out with #.
## /&/& /sbin/telnetd
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK.
Done!
I modified the script here also...
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
lijianch wrote:
four files, bootloader, rootfs, kernel, ffs

do you know how to use buildroot to customize the firmware?

I've never built very much w/ buildroot - just once for kick, IIRC. On the other hand, I've had extensive experience w/ OpenEmbedded, and also I've tied in to the build system of the Westell toolchain to build, howl, samba, dropbear & everything else that I've tried to run in Lemonade...
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:15    Post subject: Re: No need to reset the router again to change settings Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:

killall telnetd

should prolly do it
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ RHandy and baba2 & anyone else who figured that out: very nice job!

Would you two (& whoever else helped) be OK with me adding the procedure you came up with to the Lemonade site? You'd be acknowledged there as the one(s) who figured it out, and it would certainly help others out.

BTW, I'm thinking that it might be nice to have the default behavior for telnet just to be OFF. It very easy to add a line or two of code in the Lemonade to show the status of telnetd, and if running, then provide a kill switch, if stopped, provide start switch.

I guess I feel a little uncomfortable about it since telnet w/o password is so unsecured.
ZGitRDun8705
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 14:44    Post subject: telent state Reply with quote
Very good idea. It'd be nice to have a telnet start/stop switch in the lemonade webif

davy_gravy wrote:

BTW, I'm thinking that it might be nice to have the default behavior for telnet just to be OFF. It very easy to add a line or two of code in the Lemonade to show the status of telnetd, and if running, then provide a kill switch, if stopped, provide start switch.

I guess I feel a little uncomfortable about it since telnet w/o password is so unsecured.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 33 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: