Bricked WNR2000 V2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rfourt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Bricked WNR2000 V2 Reply with quote
Hello ppl..

Ive spent the last 6hours trying and reading all the posts i can find here. without any luck of de-bricking my WNR2000v2.

ALot of nice posts with great tuturials how to debrick alot of other routers but not this one, i saw a few that had the same problem but they never got an answer. perhaps becouse there isnt any one. but i have to give it a try here with the question anyway.

here is what happend.

I flashed my router with the WNR2000v23 image and it worked fine. (....K2.6_mini-WNR2000v2.chk) I then wanted to make a "splash" page for my wifi. and tried another image (i think it was....dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb) and that worked fine also. But no "SplashPage" support. SO i tried another one (...dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD_mini_hotspot_kaid) and thats when it all got screwed. THe updating process worked fine and it said it was updating and everytihng but when rebooting o never got connection back.

now the Router never starts up. It lights the Power Led and the lan port that is connected but nothing else. The Wifi led is never starting up even after pushing the Wifi button manually.,

I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 and it is not answering to ping. Although just like many others described for other routers i can see a short reply of maximum 4rows but that is very rarly.. most of the time i only get one or perhaps two responses just when i start the router up. with the TTL=100 response.

Oki.. ive read that atleast thats a litle light to the future, and that the router is still alive.

Although i have tried the tftp2.exe software atleast 200times and turned of and started up the router atleast the double of that.

i have tried the tftp with command prompt while doing the "ping -t -w 2 192.168.1.1" in another prompt but still no luck.

the router is inaccessible, it never eats the files im trying to send to it. and im sure ive sent it in the excact moment.

although from reading alot at the forum here it seems that some routers only eats the correct file when trying to tftp it to it. So my question is then wich image/file should i try and feed it. Becouse its getting very hungry after all this TTL=100 :P

I have tried the New version from Netgear and ive tried the Factory default version from Netgear.

I have tried tried the DD-WRT files i explained above and none of them works either.

Perhaps i should try 200 more times but it feels like its depending on wich files i will send up, and so far the correct file hasnt been sent, although i cant see wich file/image i should try.

Another question is regarding the tftp2.exe software. can i set it at "99tries" and let it continue or do i have to close the software and press the "update" button again every time?

anyone..please.

What else can i do to try and De-Brick this router?
ive read some stuff about Serial or "J" stuff?

Thank you for any input.

PS: excuse my english its very late and after almoust 7hours im really tired and frustrated. especially at myself for being this stupid of trying a image that i wasnt sure was correct. Ive been using DD-WRT for along time with my old Linksys-WRT45G.

/Rickard
Sponsor
cybero2912
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
next time you better read carefully before you start flashing.. I assume you bricked your router because you flashed a wrong firmware file: Crying or Very sad
rfourt wrote:
SO i tried another one (...dd-wrt.v24-14853_NEWD_mini_hotspot_kaid) and thats when it all got screwed.

(right one = dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_hotspot.bin)

one thing you can try is connect using serial and check what is going wrong during boot - but as long as there is no JTAG pinout known - the chance of recovering the device is very small

the only way I see atm is TFTP but you have already tried that Sad
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
if serial is connected to see what is going on... serial can also be used to fix it.. flash the right build, clear nvram..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ barryware
as I can't explain to rfourt (because I don't know exactly how it works) - could you please explain in short form how to flash a CFE bootloader based unit using only a serial connection?
Toops
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ive recovered my wnr2000v2 before, you will most likely have to use serial like i did.

I used a max232 to connect but i think you could use any usb to serial ttl cable.

when setup correctly i had to ctrl/c immediately to get cfe promt in hyperterminal or putty and use the "tftpd" command, then the router will accept any .chk file via tftp2.exe.
Then just wait for it to program.

hope this helps
rfourt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello ppl.

thak you for your answer i willt ry the serial, does anyone know wich pin is the +5 etc.

thankyou.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: