Have WNDR3700 would like to test any builds available

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
Rate
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Latest firmware for those too lazy to go looking! :)

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-07-10-r14896/netgear-wndr3700/
Sponsor
TonyB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rate wrote:
Latest firmware for those too lazy to go looking! :)

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-07-10-r14896/netgear-wndr3700/

What's new and related to WNDR3700:

- Fix solid led (wifi), now dimms to not so bright.
- Some madwifi improvements (but not to performance)
- GUI, better setup assistent in wifi screens.
RamGuy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
What selection of country does allow for the highest antenna power?

There seems to be something fishy about the Norwegian settings as I seems to be limited to 14dBm on 2.4GHz @ 3dBi Gain and 16dBm @ 4dBi on 5.0GHz?

That seems fairly low? I'm on a rev 01R21 board and default with stock firmware I was seeing something around 22-26dMb?

For instance places like my upstairs bathroom doesn't have any wireless connectivity now, compared to the stock firmware which provided me with a sluggish connection, but at least there was some connectivity going on?

What wireless settings do you guys prefer?
hijglander
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use the Dutch(Netherlands) settings, no fancy gain or power changes.. just simply the default settings.

The only change I made was to the channel, 36 for 5GHz (better performance) and 13 for 2.4GHz (very busy bandwidth).
sumolx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if there is a defect against upgrading via web interface. But my upgrade failed from the last release to this one. In any case its easy enough to load the the *.img file thru tftp mode.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running build 14684 (older i know) router is a 01R13 and have not seen any problems i have been able to work out myself (other then openVPN being a pain).

Has Anyone gotten OpenVPN to successfully work on this router?

I have spent a stupid number of hours trying to get it to work but keeps failing.
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Updated and figure its about time to re-post*

DO NOT INSTALL THIS if you expect it to just work perfectly. It is still a Beta and so will have problems and might brick your router. You have been warned.

CURRENTLY WIRELESS HAS A CHANCE OF WORKING GREAT, but also a chance of it diying and being basically unusable. From the reported cases there has been no fix found for the 2.4 ghz giving out after a few days (aka to connect you have to be less then a meter away). Could be a hardware problem (aka blown radio) could be related to the revision/production number of your router. I am having great results with wireless as strong or stronger then stock. So there is a chance that it will die, just be aware.

Current beta (as of this post): Build r14896: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-07-10-r14896/netgear-wndr3700/

When flashing:
-----factory.img for flashing from stock firmware to dd-wrt.
-----webflash.bin for flashing when dd-wrt is already installed.
**No purpose to flash factory then web, just use one or the other**
**You may need to do a 30-30-30 reset after flashing if you are having any issues with the web interface**

********The best source for WNDR3700 flashing info and general info at the Wiki: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

*****Atheros (this router) wireless settings and info here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

Track firmware changes through the timeline here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/dd-wrt/timeline

Current problems:

Critical:
  • -Wireless is sketchy, It COULD work great but it COULD kill the wireless radio with no current way to bring it back.

- To increase wireless strength you can now just increase it, though some of my testing is showing that increasing it over 20db you gain little to nothing because your laptop still has to communicate back to the router and thats the limiting part of the system. (max i believe: 24 @ 2.4ghz, 20 @ 5.0ghz)

- Wireless speed on the 2.4Ghz band does NOT stay connected at 300mbps, it drops down to 130mbps after a handfull of minutes. It is a known issue and is happening on numerous routers using the latest firmware. track it here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72227

- To get 300 mb connection on 5.0ghz you need to have either no security or WPA2 Personal - AES, I found that i need to change the wireless antenna chains to something other then 1+2, then back to 1+2 to get it to lock in. (wireless interface needs to restart so i also change the control channel setting to force it to restart)

- Some wireless testing as far as antenna chains and connection strength and speed: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=461620#461620 *thanks Zeerimunin*

- My experience is that the distance and speed are up to stock levels if not a tiny bit better.

• -flashing sometimes causes the router to go into TFTP recovery mode which allows someone to send a good firmware file to the router to recover it. Seems to only have happened when upgrading from a dd-wrt build to a newer build or when mistakenly flashing the webflash file right after a stock flash.

*Info*

• -Samba! - here is a way to get it to work: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=446373#446373
    - This is Samba2 install script which also lets you install a few other apps also.
    *Thanks glipman*

• - Samba 3! - uiaa has created a site detailing the procedure and outline to get samba and many other apps running on the atheros 71xx chipset.http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=456833#456833
    *Thanks uiaa*
    - To login from a Windows 7 box i have found I need to put the login name in ALL CAPS. otherwise it will not let you manipulate the directory's files.
    - read the thread about other windows 7 fixes I needed to make it work.
    - I get 14 megs/sec both ways transfering from my desktop to and from the EXT3 drive connected to the router via samba. very little impact on the router's network performace when using all available resources (cpu at 99%) which is nice.
    - This is the best install of optware allowing many other apps to be installed, I have found. He has put in allot of effort into the instructions and is pretty easy to do.

• - FIX FOR FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF wireless problem! http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=453998#453998
    *Thanks Nid_fr*!

• - The regulatory domain has to be in the US to get the transmit power up to 26 (though reported at 23) again, read above as going above 20-22 i feel like its pointless and creates more heat.

• - OpenWrt has a Dump of caldata and it shows that is where the mac addresses for the interfaces are along with the other data needed for the interfaces https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=22311&p=3
    *Thanks wired57*
    -Possible use to re-add the MAC addresses to the wireless and other loss of configs.

• - Good references for router install, de-bricking and general DD-WRT stuff: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=437172#437172

• - CFE file: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=437711#437711

• - Wireless antennas appear to work best when set to 1+2 for tx and rx for both 2.4 and 5.0. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=461620#461620

Minor:

• - It seems oddly common of people that have wireless strength issues that continue even when it is flashed with stock firmware. This makes little sense from what i have gathered as nothing should be left over after a hard-reset and a flash to stock. If anyone has any info as to why this happens all of us would appreciate it.

• - The wireless strength meter in the web interface is not accurate. I can have a signal of 15% and still get 9 megs a second on 5.0ghz.

Random info:

• - debricking post info and some testing: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=431211#431211
    - Another post on reverting to stock firmware: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=432997#432997

• - To revert to origional firmware follow the de-bricking guide.

• - Tested features - working and not: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=433140#433140
    *Thanks lukano*

• - The network tranfer speed is up to par and seems to be only hardware limited at this point. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=435969#435969
    *Thanks ykanati*

• - This is a post where Nivk uploaded the origional cd which has the ability to run the stock netgear firmware recovery app: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=446111#446111

Reports of dead router:
  • - Routers have not died in a long while (as far as reported cases). The only issue being wireless strength that is causing log term issues even when returned to stock firmware. Seems like something is staying around reducing wireless strength after going with dd-wrt and then back to stock.

I am only collecting what i see other people report, I cannot test anything on my router as it is critical and cannot be down. I dont know everything about this stuff, I am just trying to centralize where the info is kept so we can share the issues and problems we are running into with the developers in a format they can easily use.

If there are errors or you want to add something to the list please PM me with info and i shall.

Can everyone please post their revision number (its on the box by the upc code, the last 4 digits. mine is 01R13 for example) and if you have stock or dd-wrt installed and if you are having success or failure with the 2.4 ghz radio. We are trying to nail down if this is a production problem or a dd-wrt problem (which i believe to be very doubtful).

*edited to reflect newer firmware version*

Last edited by ccdoggy on Sun Aug 08, 2010 22:55; edited 1 time in total
Opuske
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ccdoggy wrote:
Current beta (as of this post): Build r14815: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/07-16-10-r14815/netgear-wndr3700/

There is already a newer version out m8 Smile
Pay attention hehe.

Newer version found here : ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-07-10-r14896/netgear-wndr3700/
RamGuy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
There also seems to be a bug with the QoS?
I've set StarCraftII + Live Messenger to Premium, I've set the allocated bandwidth to 2250 and I tried to set uTorrent to bulk settings?

All this do is making both WLAN and LAN performance REALLY sluggish, is like having those WRT54Gv5+ units running stock firmware along with lots of torrent connections going on all over again, things tends to get really, really slow.. And on-top of that uTorrent doesn't even manage to use more than 1/50 of my bandwidth?

So conclusion is, when QoS is enabled it does throttle uTorrents bandwidth, but it does also make everything else on the network go really slow and sluggish, by simply disabling the whole thing and let uTorrent swallow as much bandwidth as it manages everything else on the network gets a major performance increase as well.

So QoS seems like a no good at this point, at least for my 01R21 unit?
RamGuy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
There still seems to be some limitations in regards of the TX power?

If we ignore the whole 130mbps limitation we are currently facing, which might be a firmware related bug? I'm still not able to boost the 2.4GHz TX power beyond 19dBm?

Funny thing is that most people report their 5.0GHz to be capped / limited lower than their 2.4GHz, but for me it seems to be the other way around? When using United States (Public Safety) I get 19dBm on 2.4GHz (3dBi) and 25dBm (4dBi) on the 5.0GHz?

I've tried switching between Norway, Canada, United States and United States (Public Safety) along with various TX Power numbers (haven't touch the antenna gain though, keep having it on the routers default 2.8dBi (~3dBi), also tried to disable the whole 5.0GHz radio as there is barley any wireless noise around and 2.4GHz tends to have better range and people reports higher throughput with DD-WRT so why really bother with the 5.0GHz radio?

But I can't seem to get any higher than 19dBm @ 3dBi on the 2.4GHz radio?
zigen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did a fresh install with 08-07-10-r14896 and did the usual nvram clear. Everything seemed to work fine, except jffs auto mounting with a USB stick.

jffs and usb support is enabled and works fine after first setting it up. After I reboot the router to test it out, dd-wrt won't auto mount the USB stick. I ssh into the dd-wrt and I saw that USB stick was detecting during the bootup, but the device was not being mounted. So while the unit was still on and running dd-wrt, I had to remove and reinstall the USB stick. After that everything everything works and jffs auto mounts my USB stick to /jffs. So it seems like the issue is just when dd-wrt starts, it doesn't automount.

So I decided to roll back to a fresh install of 07-16-10-r14815 and set up dd-wrt the same way with USB/jffs. Everything seems to work fine after reboot (i.e. jffs is auto-mounting my USB stick).

Does anyone else have the same issue with jffs automounting USB devices after a reboot with version 08-07-10-r14896?
zainday
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
RamGuy wrote:
I've set StarCraftII + Live Messenger to Premium, I've set the allocated bandwidth to 2250 and I tried to set uTorrent to bulk settings?

All this do is making both WLAN and LAN performance REALLY sluggish, is like having those WRT54Gv5+ units running stock firmware along with lots of torrent connections going on all over again, things tends to get really, really slow.. And on-top of that uTorrent doesn't even manage to use more than 1/50 of my bandwidth?

So conclusion is, when QoS is enabled it does throttle uTorrents bandwidth, but it does also make everything else on the network go really slow and sluggish, by simply disabling the whole thing and let uTorrent swallow as much bandwidth as it manages everything else on the network gets a major performance increase as well.

I've had the same issues with STOCK firmware on the 3700....
Tests done on a wireless laptop.
When I have QOS on and do a speedtest, I get about 5mb download....But with it turned off and retest, I get about 11-12 mb download...
Also with Utorrent, QOS on, it seems to throttle around the 600kb mark....But with it turned off, I get around 1.5mb....
So I just leave QOS off...I think it affects almost all routers...
I had a D-Link DGL-4300 with "GameFuel" (QOS renamed) and it did exactly the same thing with speedtest...Cut my bandwidth in about half...
ccdoggy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
RamGuy wrote:

are you sure your bandwidth is 2250? that comes out to be a 281kilobyte per second connection. thats pretty slow. if you set your bandwidth in QoS to below your actual it will slow you down.

I have a 19 meg connection and have my down link speed set to 142610 kbps.

remember its asking for a setting in kilobits per second, my guess is you put it in there as kiloBytes per second. if you have a 2.25 meg connection it should be ~18000
marko
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
18000 is about 18Mb/s Wink
hes settings are OK
RamGuy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, my settings should have been 25000 for my 25/25mbit fibre optics connection.

Needless to say it seems like disabling QoS altogether is the best way to go regardless of how advanced I try to setup my QoS configuration.

I'm actually back on the limited Netgear firmware (1.0.4.6Cool once again, there just seems to be much more optimization needed for DD-WRT before it manages to utilize the WNDR3700 in a good way, especially on the wireless part!

I'm not blaming DD-WRT or it's developers as I understand that WNDR3700 is far from being their top priority at the moment, hence I doubt it'll ever be of higher priority, DD-WRT might actually never be fully ported and optimized for it ever.. I guess it all depends on the demands, donations and whether or not Netgear will start supporting DD-WRT on the WNDR3700, providing them with all kinds of feedback and data they might need to get things working flawlessly.

Buffalo have started doing so with some of their models, Netgear might as well consider it as their firmware department seems to be really lacking talent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 227, 228, 229  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 101 of 229
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: