DD-WRT support for verizon 7501 bulit by westell

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
@BrainSlayer

This unit has no DSL function and can you compile a CFE for us to load the dd-wrt? Thanks!

BrainSlayer wrote:
the bootloader is a simple broadcom cfe based one with a integrated webserver. i have all sourcecodes for these devices including the sourcecodes for the bootloader. but i always stopped working on it when i had some time due the internal adsl part. its hard to write something generic for it since the ADSL protocol is different in many countries. here in germany annex-b is normal. in other countries its annex-a and there are other variants too
Sponsor
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 22:03    Post subject: client mode Reply with quote
Still getting nowhere with client mode.

My pc is running airtun-ng and tcpdump to sniff out the communication between routers.

I can join my open-crypt router. I do #brctl delif br0 wl0 because otherwise a bunch of garbage gets sent out. After that I can get a dhcp lease using #udhcpc -i wl0. Then I set the 7501 wl0 interface to the leased ip. When I ping I can see the ICMP requests and replies in tcpdump, but the replies never get to the 7501. Ping just hangs, no packets recieved. On the other router pings just sends out requests, no replies. Could it be firewall issues even though it's set to none?
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
could routing be an issue?
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 23:14    Post subject: client mode Reply with quote
Success!

I disabled iptables using a shell script I found here http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-howto-disable-remove-firewall/
Code:

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -X
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -t mangle -X
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Then I went into /var/net_mgr/exec
Code:
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

Now I can ping to and fro.
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:34    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
BBBexodus wrote:
Success!

I disabled iptables using a shell script I found here http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-howto-disable-remove-firewall/
Code:

iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -X
iptables -t mangle -F
iptables -t mangle -X
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Then I went into /var/net_mgr/exec
Code:
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

Now I can ping to and fro.

Wow.. is client mode worked ?
Can you pls write down the steps. I like to use my router in client mode with WEP..
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:42    Post subject: client mode Reply with quote
Heres what I've been doing. From the telnet trick decribed earlier on this thread.
Code:
wl ap 0
wl wsec 1 (0: open 1:WEP 2:TKIP)
wl wet 1
wl channel 11
wl scan
wl scanresults
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

I assume WEP works like this:
Code:
wl join MySSID key MyWEPKEY

An open network:
Code:
wl join MySSID amode open

A wpa tkip/aes/wpapsk/etc network uses nas instead of wl join. Example TKIP wpapsk:
Code:
nas -P /var/nas.lan.pid -H 34954 -i wl0 -S -m 4 -k XXXXXX -s XXXXXX -w 2 -g 3600 &
udhcpc -i wl0
ifconfig wl0 leased-ip

Then try ping router_ip. Further test your connection:
Code:
cd /var/usb_mount/
./busybox-mips httpd -p 81 ./

Try getting some files via http from a remote location.
This setup would be useful for a bookshelf hdd, remote camera, etc. I am trying to get ip forwarding to work so that wifi can be used on a ps2/xbox/old operating system, but the firewall is in the way.
Code:
route add default gw (router_ip) wl0
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables --table nat -A POSTROUTING -o wl0 -j MASQUERADE

Add my dns servers to /var/etc/resolv.conf, and I can ping domain names. I've booted into a live CD without any of my settings, the westell as the only live connection. From the live cd prompt ~#ping www.yahoo.com, it resolves the ip but hangs. traceroute www.yahoo.com resolves the ip, it reaches the westell but no further. These are firewall issues I think.

Also the westell has a problem of losing the connection after a short time of inactivity in client mode. Keeping the unit upright seems a little better.
davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:58    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
BBBexodus wrote:
Also the westell has a problem of losing the connection after a short time of inactivity in client mode. Keeping the unit upright seems a little better.

Could it be that the CPU or something else on the board is overheating? Or is this an intermittent short circuit on the board?

Also, about the issue of it being able to resolve a host but not reach it - I saw that same thing when I was working out how to put the box in complete wireless bridge mode - in the HowTo>Wireless Bridge page at my site I mention how I added a route to get the final link link in connectivity.

Keep in mind that all your commands, once you have them sorted out, can be added to a custom firewall script so that they are alway executed @ boot.
BBBexodus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:14    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
davy_gravy wrote:
BBBexodus wrote:

Could it be that the CPU or something else on the board is overheating? Or is this an intermittent short circuit on the board?

Also, about the issue of it being able to resolve a host but not reach it - I saw that same thing when I was working out how to put the box in complete wireless bridge mode - in the HowTo>Wireless Bridge page at my site I mention how I added a route to get the final link link in connectivity.

Keep in mind that all your commands, once you have them sorted out, can be added to a custom firewall script so that they are alway executed @ boot.

I'd be careful with that I soft bricked my router for about half and hour. I have no serial console, so I had a 2 second window to go to router/htmlV/adv_restore_defaults.asp then hit restore and hope it registered. I finally got it. The reset button is useless, even holding it in for a minute, doesn't even reboot the router.
If the usb is recognized at the time of the firewall script It'd be better to set it so that if a usb stick is in there it boots potentially bad behaving code from there.
lijianch
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 19:21    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
can you post the wholeflash somewhere for me to debrick my router?

davy_gravy wrote:
BBBexodus wrote:

davy_gravy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
lijianch, I posted what I was able to ... go to my site's Download - rom bins section... all my mtdblockN.bin images are in there... I haven't checked them for integrity... but I may try to use one of them to get my old bricked unit up again.

Code:
dd if=/var/dev/mtdblockN    of=/var/usb_mount/share/wholeflash.bin 

Code:
# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock2            4.5M      4.5M         0 100% /
tmpfs                   512.0k    292.0k    220.0k  57% /var
/var/dev/sda1           981.3M     74.4M    906.9M   8% /var/usb_mount

ls -lna mtd*
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   0 May 22  2008 mtdblock0
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   1 May 22  2008 mtdblock1
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   2 May 22  2008 mtdblock2
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   3 May 22  2008 mtdblock3
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   4 May 22  2008 mtdblock4
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   5 May 22  2008 mtdblock5
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   6 May 22  2008 mtdblock6
brwxrwxrwx    1 0        0         31,   7 May 22  2008 mtdblock7

EDIT : lijianch - I dd'd them out (default dd, no special block size...) there are five of them in a tarball called mtdblocks.tar in the Downloads - "rom bins" section of my site.

I'm guessing if you look at an old bootlog you should be able to figure out where to flash them in, in terms of address in flash.
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
Hi!

I didn't understood.
Can you explain me that please?
I have two of this router.
The first one I have is connected to my DSL modem and two computers (wired).
I want that the second one, connect as a client to the first one (wirelessly)

Can you please, tell me how?
And I'm really sorry to bother you.

Thanks!

BBBexodus wrote:
Heres what I've been doing. From the telnet trick decribed earlier on this thread.
Code:
wl ap 0
wl wsec 1 (0: open 1:WEP 2:TKIP)
wl wet 1
wl channel 11
wl scan
wl scanresults
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone

I assume WEP works like this:
Code:
wl join MySSID key MyWEPKEY

An open network:
Code:
wl join MySSID amode open

A wpa tkip/aes/wpapsk/etc network uses nas instead of wl join. Example TKIP wpapsk:
Code:
nas -P /var/nas.lan.pid -H 34954 -i wl0 -S -m 4 -k XXXXXX -s XXXXXX -w 2 -g 3600 &
udhcpc -i wl0
ifconfig wl0 leased-ip

Then try ping router_ip. Further test your connection:
Code:
cd /var/usb_mount/
./busybox-mips httpd -p 81 ./

Try getting some files via http from a remote location.
This setup would be useful for a bookshelf hdd, remote camera, etc. I am trying to get ip forwarding to work so that wifi can be used on a ps2/xbox/old operating system, but the firewall is in the way.
Code:
route add default gw (router_ip) wl0

Add my dns servers to /var/etc/resolv.conf, and I can ping domain names. I've booted into a live CD without any of my settings, the westell as the only live connection. From the live cd prompt ~#ping www.yahoo.com, it resolves the ip but hangs. traceroute www.yahoo.com resolves the ip, it reaches the westell but no further. These are firewall issues I think.

baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21    Post subject: Re: client mode Reply with quote
Thanks BBBexodus
I tried client mode but lack of knowledge i had no luck.
My main router has ip 192.168.1.1 ( WEP)
1.First i did restore default to wipe out any changes i did in past.
2. Got the telnet access and loged in
3. Ran following commands

wl ap 0
wl wsec 1
wl wet 1
wl channel 11
wl scan
wl scanresults
SSID: "baba1s"
Mode: Managed RSSI: -45 dBm noise: -96 dBm Channel: 10
BSSID: 00:16:CE:2C:A8:64 Capability: ESS WEP ShortPre ShortSlot
Supported Rates: [ 1(b) 2(b) 5.5(b) 6 9 11(b) 12 18 24 36 48 54 ]
brctl delif br0 wl0
ifconfig br2 down
killall udhcpc
cd /var/net_mgr/exec
./FirewallInit
./FirewallNone
wl join baba1s key 11111111111111111111111111
route add default gw 192.168.1.1 wl0

echo "nameserver 4.2.2.1" > /var/etc/resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 4.2.2.2" >> /var/etc/resolv.conf

I still cannot see the wireless connected to my router
ifconfig
tried ping www.yahoo.com Embarassed

Last edited by baba2s on Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48; edited 1 time in total
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@baba2s How did you log in to Telnet?
baba2s
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:53    Post subject: login to your router web page and Reply with quote
Rhandy wrote:
@baba2s How did you log in to Telnet?

Login to you router's web page and add the following code in Custom Firewall text window

/&/& /sbin/telnetd

save it and you will have telnet access
Rhandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I know but i get an error:

--- Trace Route Test Results ---
unable to perform Trace Route test
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 53, 54, 55  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 30 of 55
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: