Most Stable firmware for WRT310N V1.0

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jrbilodeau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:57    Post subject: Most Stable firmware for WRT310N V1.0 Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been reading up on putting dd-wrt on my Linksys WRT310N v1.0 and was wondering which build number is currently the most stable. I was planning on simply using the standard generic dd-wrt firmware.

I read the build recommendation posting saying that to avoid the milworm exploit it should be at least build 12533. but according to the router database I see build 12533, 13064 and 14311.

just not sure which would be best for a first time dd-wrt user.

Btw, i realize the i need to load dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin through the web interface before I can load the standard generic one.

Thanks
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The firmware recommendations on the sticky on the top of this forum should provide such info, please read. Link also in my sig

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
jrbilodeau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read the firmware recommendation posting twice. not sure if i missed something, but I'm still not clear on which one is best to use.

it list bad builds to stay away from, list K26, EKO Vint build that are good, BS build for paying customers, but I don't think that those (k26, Eko,Vint, NEWD) build are ones that the router database lists for me as downloads for my router.

I guess if i take out the "Bad Builds" or ones susceptible to the milworm exploit from my options it leaves me with v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 12533 or v24 preSP2 [Beta] Build 14311.

Any recomendations then, or am I missing something?
jrbilodeau
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also the firmware recommendations does really say that build 12533 is a good build, it just says that you need at least that one to fix the exploit.
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the peacock announcement. Ignore the router database.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrbilodeau, I'm with ya brother. Been reading peacock for hours and still don't know what I should use on my WRT310N V1.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The recommended build is 13525, since the v1 runs NEWD i would get that from here... std is the largest flavor your unit can handle...

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/older/12-28-09-r13525/broadcom/

Also when you guys say you are reading, which part in the post do you not get when it says in red...

"RECOMMENDED BUILDS update 07/07/10 - notice our recommendations haven't change....just the date as to inform that we're still watching for a better build."

Below that it has links for the appropriate build which whatever model you have should use. I have read alot of posts that say "we don't understand" i just have always been unclear on which part in the post is not understandable...

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
drcamphill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
You asked...

I'm sure for those who've been here awhile it probably all makes sense. For a newcomer the ENTIRE post is either way too long, contains too much insignificant information, is poorly written, or does not clearly explain why there are 3 or 4 different builds for this router.

Note 3 alone is roughly 1002 words long...really?

Then within note 3 is says to read note 4...guess what, note 4 is roughly 1371 words long. Then note 3 says to ALWAYS follow the wiki for this model. The wiki says to install ANY standard build. ANY?

And through reading this encyclopedia I come across NWED, EKO, BRAINSLAYER with no real explanation what they are or why they're different or which one is should, use if it even matters.

Don't get me wrong, someone did an incredible job detailing all of this, and it's very much appreciated for the effort it must have taken, and provided to us for free. I do appreciate it. However in the end there is so much information that it has become overwhelming for new users.
drcamphill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
One more thing....

If the automated database thingy doesn't work, disable it.

I first used it and it recommended and outdated version wasting much time after trying to get through all the reading material.

Please do not get upset by these comments, I'm only trying to explain why for some folks it's difficult to understand. I hope you understand.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
When i posted for you to read the "Firmware Recommendations" sticky at the top of this forum, i did not ever say read the peacock thread, to me the peacock is a generalized broadcom FAQ, the OP asked which firmware to run...so i answered appropriately.

Far as disabling the database, good luck on that. Forum members and most moderators alike do not control that.

I do understand your grief in this matter... but i also feel with retorts like this...

drcamphill wrote:
One more thing....

If the automated database thingy doesn't work, disable it.

I first used it and it recommended and outdated version wasting much time after trying to get through all the reading material.

Please do not get upset by these comments, I'm only trying to explain why for some folks it's difficult to understand. I hope you understand.

That sounds more like you getting upset, and giving orders... always remember no one is making you do this, you are responsible for you.

drcamphill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's what I thought you'd say.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
drcamphill wrote:
That's what I thought you'd say.

Razz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 20:17    Post subject: WRT310N v1 build 13525 Reply with quote
@buddee,

Hi, and I appreciate all the work that has been done on supporting the builds and documents and the help.

That said I understand why there is confusion, particularly around the WRT310n v1 and what to flash.

i have the same confusion and I have used DD-WRT for a couple years.

My current problem takes a bit to explain and I don't want to post in the wrong section or tick anyone off.

I have a WRT310N v1 that is giving me fits.

wl ver returns 4.510 RC10.5
uname -a returns Linux DD-WRT 2.4.37 #8857 Mon Dec 28 03:14:35 CET 2009 mips unknown

GUI displays:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/28/09) std
(SVN revision 13525)

I had 13064 on it and it was working for months, but just found out about the problem with so decided to reflash it to a version not affected.

I have done the 30/30/30 a half dozen times (waiting up to 20 minutes for nvram to rebuild), re-downloaded the firmware and flashed and a dozen other things.

The details are long and confusing.

short version is that after jumping through hoops for the last 36 hours to get it back to working I have the oddest problem.

My Win7 machines, Cameras, Androids, etc all hook in fine to the VAP with a default id of dd-wrt_vap, XP machine would not connect.

Deleted all the connection info on the XP, did dozens of tests, finally re-imaged XP box and it still won't connect but all others still do. Even killed security, no luck.

Added second interface (for grins) and its default name of dd-wrt_vap1 (identical to original) and the XP laptop connects!!!!!

After a few more hours I just decided to hide the SSID for dd-wrt_vap and have all machines connect to dd-wrt_vap1. It seemed expedient for the short term.

But using the GUI and disabling SSID broadcast, all machines see both SSID's and those with the passcode can connect to both.

Even went and got an unrelated laptop and it sees them both.

I am at a dead end as to what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well one thing i know that alot of people do not feel like this is a problem is with those types of linksys units, atleast for my wrt320n and wrt310n they get hot, very hot, this could very well be causing a problem, also curious when you say you tried to connect with an XP rig, what security settings were you using?

RCShadows
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am using r13968 Mini released on 02-22-10 on my WRT310N to get the functionality I need and know it works. I want Access Restrictions to function and have not been able to get builds after this release to work using that function.

Try that build and see if it helps you.

Just my two cents.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: