Per-user Live Down/Upload Rate Monitoring [No PC needed!]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
grant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I meant the traffic in Status > Wan (http://192.168.1.1/Status_Internet.asp).
Sponsor
warhed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 18:11    Post subject: Deployment Reply with quote
This looks like something I need but not sure if my router can handle it.

I am using the Linksys WRT54GL 1.1, can this script run on the router due to it's limited ram? If not what would be a recommended router to purchase?

Also, I have zero experience with Linux, does anyone know of a step by step guide on how to get this working?

Thanks!
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 19:22    Post subject: Re: Deployment Reply with quote
warhed wrote:
This looks like something I need but not sure if my router can handle it.

I am using the Linksys WRT54GL 1.1, can this script run on the router due to it's limited ram? If not what would be a recommended router to purchase?

Also, I have zero experience with Linux, does anyone know of a step by step guide on how to get this working?

Thanks!

works well on my wrt54gl with sd card.

and the explanation is on the first page
warhed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 20:19    Post subject: SD Reply with quote
The WRT54AGL doesn't support SD cards but I saw this line:

"You could try looking for the GPIOs and use a MMC/SD card mod."

What is this mod?

I found this online about it:

http://www.powco.net/wrt/

What about another unit that doesn't require this mod? Such as the Asus WL-520GU?
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is the sd card mod.

On this link all is explained, for the sd card modification

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G-TM_SD/MMC_mod
warhed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 21:45    Post subject: Thanks for that Reply with quote
I think I may just get a used 600n on Ebay for a few obvious hardware reasons.

Back to one of my original questions - Is there a step by step for enabling the script that monitors per user bandwidth?

Thanks again all!
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
grant wrote:
Sorry, I meant the traffic in Status > Wan (http://192.168.1.1/Status_Internet.asp).

The total usage calculations are accurate on my testing, I just did another test to double-check. Downloaded a 13MB sized file and sure enough the usage went up by 13MB.

1GB to 7GB is a HUGE difference. Are you sure you have everything set up correctly? Try restarting your router and do another test. Note that the Wan Status shows the total usage by all users only.
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 23:38    Post subject: Re: Thanks for that Reply with quote
warhed wrote:
I think I may just get a used 600n on Ebay for a few obvious hardware reasons.

Back to one of my original questions - Is there a step by step for enabling the script that monitors per user bandwidth?

Thanks again all!

Actaully I used my Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 with an SD/MMC card mod to modify, test and develop this script! This script consumes minimal amount of CPU evertime it is cycled and runs perfectly fine on WRT54GL.

Yes, you can use the guide in the link mojso gave to mod an SD/MMC card.

WRT54GL is extremely modable, right now I'm halfway through modding to add two USB ports support for it. Image that!

Also, warhed, I believe I've already given quite a clear step by step implimentation for this script in the first post. I assume you need to know more about Startup Scripts and making the script excutable?

There are two ways of running a script everytime the router starts, one is by entering the code directly through the router's Web Interface, another is to write a startup script and use the extention .startup and place it in one of the correct locations.

To make the script executable run this in the command line:
Code:
chmod 700 /path_to/wrtbwmon

Or if you're using WinSCP with an SD/MMC card mod, just right-click on the file, select properties, and check all the X checkboxes.

Read more from here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Startup_Scripts
warhed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 0:15    Post subject: ScriptI Reply with quote
I thought the script required an SD card, but that appears only to save the script to the device if you wish for the script to start every time the router restarts, rather than manually entering the script in the Admin Console Gui.

I am really new to this stuff so sorry for my ignorance about it all.
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can run this script without using an SD card nor do you need to have jffs space. You can copy the script to your /tmp/ folder (router's RAM memory) and run it from there. You can save a startup script to copy that for you everytime it restarts. Look at grant's first post. That's what he's doing. He uses an external ftp server to host the script and backup the database file. Yet another alternative is to use a Samba Server or CIFS.

Just search and read up on them from dd-wrt's wiki.
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolf Kodi
It would be good usage.html be closed with router password
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 21:55    Post subject: Router Password Protect Usage Data Reply with quote
mojso wrote:
Wolf Kodi
It would be good usage.html be closed with router password

Hmm.. who are you trying to hide this page from? hehe..

Yup, it is possble to password protect this page with your router's password by using DD-WRT's My Page tab feature:

Router Password Protect Usage Data
To implement this, we will need to make three changes to the existing setup:
First
Go back to the startup script that you've created for this. We need to change this line:
Code:
/path_to/wrtbwmon publish /tmp/usage.db /tmp/www/usage.html /mmc/MAC-PCname.txt

to this:
Code:
/path_to/wrtbwmon publish /tmp/usage.db /tmp/usage.html /mmc/MAC-PCname.txt

The usage.html is now no longer published in the /tmp/www/ folder which is accessable by everyone. Instead we store it in a /tmp/ .

Second
We need a script file to generate this usage.html page from /tmp/ to be displayed under the My Page tab within the router's configuration page, which in turn, makes this page router password protected! Download this script attached below or here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=15634. You can place this script anywhere (eg. /mmc/usage.sh), and remember to make it executable.

Third
Now all we need to do is to enable the My Page tab! Get into your router's comand line interface (eg. via telnet or Command Shell within router's GUI) and run the following two lines. Remember to set the correct path:
Code:
nvram set mypage_scripts="/path_to/usage.sh"
nvram commit

And you're done! Just navigate to your My Page tab or go to http://192.168.X.X/MyPage.asp where X.X is your router's IP address. Also, you can remove the old usage.html file in your /tmp/www/ folder, it will also be lost on a reboot anyway as it is in the /tmp/ folder.

YouTube | Facebook Page

Last edited by Wolf Kodi on Sun Aug 01, 2010 21:48; edited 4 times in total
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nicely done, it would be good this script to be together with these

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/MyPage
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
mojso wrote:
Nicely done, it would be good this script to be together with these

http://www.ddwrt.com/wiki/index.php/MyPage

You can override one of the mypage5.sh to mypage12.sh scripts that you're not using with this. Or even better, you can add this into the Traffic tab or replace it with this entirely. Modify mypage12.sh which is meant for the Traffic tab.

YouTube | Facebook Page
mojso
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Router Password Protect Usage Data

Nicely done
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Contributions Upload All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: