OT: Antenna mod on a USB stick gone wrong? (Zyxel G-220 V2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 18:33    Post subject: OT: Antenna mod on a USB stick gone wrong? (Zyxel G-220 V2) Reply with quote
For the life of me, can't figure out what went wrong.

This little radio was getting decent performance now it can't see any AP's.

Checked circuit board antenna with a regular digital multimeter first, orange arrows indicate ground.

Blue arrows indicate signal.

Used an engraver to gently grind off the copper trace for both the left and the right as indicated by the red arrows.

Soldered external pigtail shield to where the left red arrow is pointing, soldered the signal to the right red arrow trace. Had an 8db antenna screwed into the antenna mount. No AP's visible (strong AP nearby, lots of other AP's in vicinity).

Checked with multimeter, bad ground connection from cable at copper trace. Removed the pigtail and resoldered everything, and multimeter checks out: same 'No AP' result.

Reconnected existing copper traces, signal and ground, with 2x fine piece of copper wire. Red arrows.

When I did this, I accidentally shorted SMT with solder, green arrow. Device would not power up when plugged in. Removed stray solder, reconnected. Device powers up, YAY! no AP's visible. NO!

Checked fine-wire copper bridge over traces, resoldered both ground and signal wire bridge.

Any idea what is going on?
Sponsor
Wolf Kodi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
How about bringing an AP really close just to be sure, like an inch distance or less from both antennas?
hoot_spoot
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 14:21    Post subject: hmm. Reply with quote
I have one of those WHR-HP-G54 high-power AP's, and it has the a 2.6amp power supply, and 9db antennas, about a foot away. Nothing. The antennas are outside the window, so I can't move them inside. There are enough neighbouring signals something should show.

The radio should show *something*. I guess I am just not familiar with the board antenna design on these radios. I thought I disconnected the antenna traces and wired in the ground and signal (one on each trace, as one read as ground, and the other 'signal' with a multitester). No signal. Then removed the antenna coax and bridged the trace removed earlier. Still nothing.

Navigation

Jump to: