Internet access while afloat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 22:42    Post subject: Internet access while afloat. Reply with quote
Granted, this is pretty offtopic, and doesn't have anything to do with Broadcom whatsoever...but I saw this topic on Slashdot and was wondering what kind of suggestions the community could come up with for constant streaming Internet access while at sea.

I'm thinking either satellite (slow and expensive but available anywhere on the planet) or medium wave / short wave radio (lower bandwidth than satellite but not as hard to implement, though limited on range). In the Marine Corps, one of the tactical radio systems we use, the PRC-150, operates in the 1.6MHz to 30MHz band, and is capable of IP internetworking...depending on power and time of day, range is generally up to about 400 miles. Obviously not line of sight, and not entirely reliable, as it involves bouncing the signal off the ionosphere, therefore susceptible to solar interference.

Or, as was mentioned in the thread....maybe a really really really long string. Not sure if the cost vs performance factor would be worth it. Razz

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

Sponsor
GeeTek
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Due to physics, space based system are the only thing that will ever deliver broadband at long ranges. Short wave has too much natural and man made interference. At the current level of technology evolution I am surprised that we are not using far IR optics for space based broadband.

I've thought about hooking a power line broadband adaptor up to a big amp, but switching that much amperage at megabit frequencies might be a bit tricky.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was actually someone on here ~1 year ago that had upgraded from a G spec router to N spec on a boat with high gain antennas to reach an AP on shore. Wifi only works for people that stay close to towns (a few miles) with line of sight to open AP's though.

Satellite services are the only solution in the open ocean.

zerofire
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless someone invents a high capacity, flexible medium for long distance transfer you will be stuck to shelling out loads of money for sluggish satellites when out in the ocean.
Linksys EG008Wv3 x1
Linksys WRT54Gv3.1 x1 Linksys OEM
Linksys WRT54Gv5 x1 Linksys OEM
Linksys WRT54Gv6 x2 Linksys OEM
Linksys WRT54Gv8 x2 Linksys OEM
Linksys WTR54GSv1 x1 Linksys OEM
Linksys WRT160Nv1 x1 Linksys OEM
NetGear WNR834Bv2 x1 DD-WRT 25251
NetGear WG302v2 x1 Netgear OEM
Belkin F5D7230-4v1000 x1 Belkin OEM
Buffalo WHR-G300N x1 DD-WRT sp2
Buffalo WHR-G300N x1 Buffalo OEM
Airlink 101 AR430Wv1 x1 Airlink OEM
Cisco Catalyst 3548 Enterprise x1 Cisco IOS-Not In Use
D-Link DI-604vE x1 D-Link OEM-Not In Use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: