Bricked WRT160N v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Anaxis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:46    Post subject: Bricked WRT160N v3 Reply with quote
Basically, Linksys have told me to make a frisbee out of it, the warranty is gone.

Had this thing for about a year, and decided after much reading to try and install DD-WRT on it.

Much to my surprise, the process was a lot easier than I thought. A few minutes later, I had a new DD-WRT mini build. :D

Unfortunately, I realised the mini build I was using didn't have any IPv6 support, and I wanted to dabble. I decided on Crushed Hat's newest build, and that's where the trouble started.

I was in the middle of flashing when we suddenly lost power to the house. I hoped maybe the router might be safe because it was on a surge protector, but alas.

The router won't respond to pings @ 192.168.1.1, even with a static ip of 192.168.1.8 on the computer.

Here's where I had a glimmer of hope, however. After taking the router apart when Linksys told me there was nothing I could do through them, I was considering shorting pin 14 because I'd rather spend the 60 dollars buying a new router than bothering JTAGing it (there's not much support for v3 JTAGing anyway, from what I'm reading).
I decided I'd give it one last go trying to ping.

I was gifted with a SINGLE TTL=100 reply from my State of the Art Linksys WRT160N Deluxe Paperweight. The ping time was 1382 ms, and was followed with a WHOLE bunch of destination host unreachable, and I've been unable to recreate the ping since.

However, a response to a ping is a response to a ping is a response to a ping. I'm willing to restore poor Bricky whatever the cost.

Anyone have any advice as to whether this is worth it? Or shall I ready the paperclip?
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Give this a read

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_bad_flash

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:16    Post subject: Re: Bricked WRT160N v3 Reply with quote
Anaxis wrote:
Basically, Linksys have told me to make a frisbee out of it, the warranty is gone.

Had this thing for about a year, and decided after much reading to try and install DD-WRT on it.

Much to my surprise, the process was a lot easier than I thought. A few minutes later, I had a new DD-WRT mini build. :D

Unfortunately, I realised the mini build I was using didn't have any IPv6 support, and I wanted to dabble. I decided on Crushed Hat's newest build, and that's where the trouble started.

I was in the middle of flashing when we suddenly lost power to the house. I hoped maybe the router might be safe because it was on a surge protector, but alas.

The router won't respond to pings @ 192.168.1.1, even with a static ip of 192.168.1.8 on the computer.

Here's where I had a glimmer of hope, however. After taking the router apart when Linksys told me there was nothing I could do through them, I was considering shorting pin 14 because I'd rather spend the 60 dollars buying a new router than bothering JTAGing it (there's not much support for v3 JTAGing anyway, from what I'm reading).
I decided I'd give it one last go trying to ping.

I was gifted with a SINGLE TTL=100 reply from my State of the Art Linksys WRT160N Deluxe Paperweight. The ping time was 1382 ms, and was followed with a WHOLE bunch of destination host unreachable, and I've been unable to recreate the ping since.

However, a response to a ping is a response to a ping is a response to a ping. I'm willing to restore poor Bricky whatever the cost.

Anyone have any advice as to whether this is worth it? Or shall I ready the paperclip?

Shorting pin 14... Hmmmm.. That would be a feat seeing as how the router has an 8 pin serial flash chip.. Good luck with that..

You can try the freezer trick.. Follow the steps exactly:

1). Place router is ziplock bag
2). place bag & router in freezer for 24 hours
3). remove from freezer, remove router from bag
4). place router in kitchen sink (bathroom sink will also do) full of hot water for 20 minutes (no power supply.. power supply must stay dry!)
5). shake router violently to remove water
6). let dry for 72 hours (drying time can be accelerated by use of a hair dryer)
7). after sufficient drying, power up.. Done.. Fixed.

Or....

1). use serial console connection to repair router and flash firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40    Post subject: Re: Bricked WRT160N v3 Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
You can try the freezer trick.. Follow the steps exactly:

1). Place router is ziplock bag
2). place bag & router in freezer for 24 hours
3). remove from freezer, remove router from bag
4). place router in kitchen sink (bathroom sink will also do) full of hot water for 20 minutes (no power supply.. power supply must stay dry!)
5). shake router violently to remove water
6). let dry for 72 hours (drying time can be accelerated by use of a hair dryer)
7). after sufficient drying, power up.. Done.. Fixed.

Or....

1). use serial console connection to repair router and flash firmware.
ROFLMAOPIMP

Now that was funny, I don't care who ya r!!

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
In an effort to help the OP instead of being my usual nasty smartass self...

You should always flash 3rd party firmware from stock.. Never 3rd party to a diff 3rd party. Most firmware's are written to go from either stock to said 3rd party, or from the same 3rd party to the same 3rd party.

Having a power event in the middle of a flash certainly does not help.

You can try to tftp firmware when you hit the one ttl=100 but because you only see one ttl, odds are you will spend all afternoon and fail. However, you may hit it right and succeed. tftp is all about timing. Try to flash the stock linksys firmware.. Nothing else. If you succeed and get the stock firmware back on, then install dd-wrt again or any other firmware you choose.

Know this about this router.. If you do succeed and flash the firmware and get a success message.. This router can take several minutes to finish up and boot. After the success message, leave it alone for 5+ minutes.

Best advice (in the event that the freezer trick does not work), is to use a serial console connection to flash the firmware (stock linksys firmware).

Your router can be recovered unless something foolish is done like shorting pin 14 of the 8 pin serial flash chip.

Some on the forum fix routers for fun. Send it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but have you seen the serial pads on this device? Know if anyone has successfully soldered header pins to them? Know the pinouts for the serial pads.

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but have you seen the serial pads on this device? Know if anyone has successfully soldered header pins to them? Know the pinouts for the serial pads.

Not really a hijack cuz the OP may need this info to fix his router.

Serial pads are on top of the board, located between the switch chip and processor. They are round pads meant for pogo pins or similar. If you solder a pin to the pad, you risk lifting the pad from the pcb when making your connection to your adapter cuz there is not much holding the copper pad to the pcb. A little too much lateral pressure, the pad will come off the pcb.

Standard linksys serial pinout.. vcc, tx, rx, n/c, ground.

The fcc pics do not show the pads.. Dunno why.

Here is an old thread with pics of the pads:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, here's how it's working now. And mind you I rarely have any idea what I'm doing, but I'm now getting replies from my router.

Today everything was working a little bit better, every time I unplugged the router with a continuous ping going, then plugged it back in, I would see a TTL=100 reply, sometimes two if I was lucky.

So, as soon as I would see this I would try to TFTP over the mini generic dd-wrt. It wouldn't start the flash, but for some reason immediately after this my ping count would start reading at TTL=100 for every ping, and this has remained true for 20+ minutes now.

The problem is that in order to recreate this issue, I HAVE to try to TFTP over the mini generic as soon as I see a single TTL=100 reply from the router upon restarting it, otherwise I just see the single reply and then it goes back to RTOs.

I've had the constant TTL=100 pings in the background for a while now, but every time I try to TFTP using TFTP2.exe, it just runs through the attempt and fails, and then moves onto the next attempt.

TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 C:\Users\Anaxis\Downloads\any-dd-wrt-file-or-linksys-stock-firmware only nets me the response "could not read from local file 'any-dd-wrt-file-or-linksys-stock-firmware'"

So I'm getting responses when I do it right...any suggestions? Or is it just false hope?

I DID add a netsh interface ip add neighbors "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" "aa-bb-cc-dd-ee-ff-gg" where the MAC address corresponds to the MAC address of my router @192.168.1.1 for an arp -a where I got lucky. Does that make a difference as to why I'm getting constant TTL=100s now?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use windows XP to flash, and follow the steps at note 11 of the peacock announcement...nothing connected to the router but a cable, no security/virus protection/firewalls etc.

If it doesn't work, you will have to use a serial cable.

Navigation

Jump to: