Wireless Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
helgebelt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 22:58    Post subject: Wireless Problem Reply with quote
Hey everyone! I herd from another forum that i should post my prob here. The situation is like this that i live in a garage away from the house. and i have a wirless connection to this garage from the house nad it is just too far away and it makes my connection real crappy. So this guy on the other forum said with this firmware you have here i could make the signal stronger or something. And I thought that sounded like a invintation from a beutiful girl to take ice cream with her in the sun, in other words real good. So i post here to ask if i can use this firmware on my router.
I have a roter from canyon and the model is CN-WF514. It would be great if anyone would help me.
Thanks!
Sponsor
cruze5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
have you tried left or right diversity. its an option in the router before. and iwth the v23 firmwares
mahenry
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
List of hardware supported by dd-wrt:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Supported_Devices

I don't see your router listed but I am not an expert. Even if you could amplify your router's transmit signal, this would not have any effect on your pc wireless adapter's ability to transmit the signal back. Might be better off trying to upgrade your antennae.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, it doesn't look like your hardware is supported.

And I also think that you may be looking at DD-WRT for the wrong reason. DD-WRT is for people who like to tinker. It's not an officially supported product like the firmwares included on the routers you get at Best Buy. In fact, some manufacturers consider your warranty void if you install it! :roll:

That being said, I think that your best bet is a set of antennas. Increasing your transmit does nothing for your receive. It's like just shouting louder to your friend 1/4 mile away. He won't increase his volume so your shouting louder really doesn't help. But if you have a nice parabolic dish that you are shouting into and then listening through, you will be both louder to him, and you'll also be able to hear him better.

There are a variety of connectors for antennas (RP-TNC, RP-SMA, MMCX, MC, N), so you'll have to figure out what your router uses. You must also find out if your router antenna can be removed and replaced with something else. After you've figured out these details, go to eBay and search for 'cantenna', and an appropriate pigtail cable there, too. You'll need line-of-sight as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: