Netgear WNDR3300, repeater function

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
goodwillhouston wrote:
I set up my WNDR3300 as a client bridge by following the wiki instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

I left out steps 23 thru 28 though. That is, I kept the default security settings and advanced routing (gateway). It has been working for a week now without any problem.

My questions are: does my setup have any potential problem? are steps 23 thru 28 must's?

Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-nohot-nostore - build 14205M

Thanks

Implicit from another of your posts is that you diverged from another section of that guide also when you assigned wl1 to your AP instead of creating a VAP for that purpose (which is not possible on most routers but a good use of this one!). Some routers may not work as a RB without those steps but the way you have it set up is working fine so no reason to mess with success!

BS releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
Eko releases: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/
Sponsor
goodwillhouston
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:
Implicit from another of your posts is that you diverged from another section of that guide also when you assigned wl1 to your AP instead of creating a VAP for that purpose (which is not possible on most routers but a good use of this one!). Some routers may not work as a RB without those steps but the way you have it set up is working fine so no reason to mess with success!

Thank you for your prompt reply. Now I am assured. Very Happy
t4ggs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look, guys, Im really trying hard but this is not my thing
How do I revert to the original Netgear firmware? When I try it says: Incorrect image file.

Im trying installing the lates netgear firmware for this router, 1.0.45

thanks for your help
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try use this file from the webgui.

WNDR3300_V1.0.29_1.0.29-WW.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  WNDR3300_V1.0.29_1.0.29-WW.bin
 Filesize:  2.88 MB
 Downloaded:  971 Time(s)

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also the reversion guide in the wiki will apply if you are running CFE 1.3, if they sent you a 1.5, the wiki method will not work, or atleast for some, giving problems due to an improper board_id.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
t4ggs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Try use this file from the webgui.

thanks, it worked...lets just hope that netgear really helps..

why is that complicated configuring a repeater???
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
t4ggs wrote:

Its not complicated, its very easy if you follow the step by step guide in the wiki, i have 6 routers here, 1 gateway, 5 of those routers are repeaters, all setup with the wiki guide.

steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
t4ggs wrote:

Its not complicated, its very easy if you follow the step by step guide in the wiki, i have 6 routers here, 1 gateway, 5 of those routers are repeaters, all setup with the wiki guide.

No, it's not complicated but I can see where some find it intimidating. But then some people ask for help when they run into problems and never do try our suggestions or answer our questions very well. Hope the Netgear FW works out for him!

t4ggs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll try again with the netgear firmware
if it doesn't work, I'll have to try again with the dd-wrt
The most complicated part is setting the IP, the subnet mask and the rest of the things....I have 3 routers, that's why I dont know exactly what IP should I use.
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
t4ggs wrote:
I'll try again with the netgear firmware
if it doesn't work, I'll have to try again with the dd-wrt
The most complicated part is setting the IP, the subnet mask and the rest of the things....I have 3 routers, that's why I dont know exactly what IP should I use.

All 3 routers should have the same subnet mask, and the first 3 octets of the IP address should be the same for all. The 4th octet must be unique for each router and other than that you can use anything except 0 or 255. This is true for a repeater bridge whether you use the Netgear FW or DD-WRT.

dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:37    Post subject: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
Good evening!

I see I'm not the only one messing around with my WNDR3300 in the hopes of creating a repeater... hopefully, someone can help me!

I have one wireless network with access to the internet, managed by a router at 192.168.1.1. I would like to use my WNDR3300 to wirelessly connect to the first router and to create a new wireless network with a separate SSID. This new network needs to share the internet connection of the first network. Do I correctly surmise that I need to set up my WNDR3300 as a repeater?

Given my first router's location at 192.168.1.1, should my WNDR3300 have an IP in 192.168.1 or elsewhere, such as 192.168.0?

I originally installed Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/16/10) std - build 13637 and followed the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater . Everything seems fine, except my WNDR3300 is not connecting to the original network, and the "WAN IP:" status in the upper-right corner remains at "0.0.0.0".

I saw goodwillhouston's post, and so I tried upgrading to the same firmware he is using to do something similar, just in case. I now am using Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-nohot-nostore - build 14205M and I was very careful to do the 30-30-30 resets before and after all upgrades. After resetting everything according the the repeater wiki, my WAN IP remains stubbornly fixed at 0.0.0.0.

Based on the comments on this thread, I have w|0 set as a Repeater with settings that match my original wireless network; w|1 is set as an AP with a unique SSID. I'm at a loss as to what else I should try - will you please guide me?

Thank you from a NOOB who is really trying to figure this out!
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:03    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
Good evening!

I see I'm not the only one messing around with my WNDR3300 in the hopes of creating a repeater... hopefully, someone can help me!

I have one wireless network with access to the internet, managed by a router at 192.168.1.1. I would like to use my WNDR3300 to wirelessly connect to the first router and to create a new wireless network with a separate SSID. This new network needs to share the internet connection of the first network. Do I correctly surmise that I need to set up my WNDR3300 as a repeater?

Given my first router's location at 192.168.1.1, should my WNDR3300 have an IP in 192.168.1 or elsewhere, such as 192.168.0?

I originally installed Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/16/10) std - build 13637 and followed the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater . Everything seems fine, except my WNDR3300 is not connecting to the original network, and the "WAN IP:" status in the upper-right corner remains at "0.0.0.0".

I saw goodwillhouston's post, and so I tried upgrading to the same firmware he is using to do something similar, just in case. I now am using Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/07/10) std-nokaid-nohot-nostore - build 14205M and I was very careful to do the 30-30-30 resets before and after all upgrades. After resetting everything according the the repeater wiki, my WAN IP remains stubbornly fixed at 0.0.0.0.

Based on the comments on this thread, I have w|0 set as a Repeater with settings that match my original wireless network; w|1 is set as an AP with a unique SSID. I'm at a loss as to what else I should try - will you please guide me?

Thank you from a NOOB who is really trying to figure this out!

The repeater should have an IP address not in the same subnet as the main router, use 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Since you are using wl1 to do the repeater function you can set wl0 up as a client, once you have done these 2 steps you should see an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range appear in the upper right corner. If you have further problems try first disabling encryption until you get it working.

Deneteus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:05    Post subject: WNDR3700 + WNDR3300 WLAN Reply with quote
Has anybody posted instructions on how to setup a WNDR3300 with DDWRT v-24-sp2 std-nokaid-nohot-nostore with a WNDR3700 using the latest stock firmware? I am trying to setup a 5Ghz network between my livingroom with the XBOX360,TV, PS3, WII to my WNDR3700 in another room connected to a Cable Modem.

I had setup this kinda link with a Linksys and a Buffalo 54G before but there are more options here.

I already re-read the Router Repeater section and tried that and the WNDR3300 shows the WDS Nodes at the bottom but it won't pull up anything else when running a site-survey. On WL0 I set the Mode to Repeater Bridge, the Wireless Network Name is the same, I used WEP 128 with the same password. WL0 WDS has the first Wireles MAC set to LAN with the MAC of the WDR3700 in it also. WDS Subent is set to Disabled.

If I could see some screen shots of other setups I can figure it out from there.
dovesong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
steveg1701 wrote:

The repeater should have an IP address not in the same subnet as the main router, use 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Since you are using wl1 to do the repeater function you can set wl0 up as a client, once you have done these 2 steps you should see an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range appear in the upper right corner. If you have further problems try first disabling encryption until you get it working.

Ok, I set my repeater to use 192.168.0.1 and set up w|0 as a client. I still don't get a WAN IP address, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, I don't have the ability to turn security off from the first router. Is there a way to see a log of the WNDR3300's attempts to connect to the first router? And/or, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help and ideas!
steveg1701
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38    Post subject: Re: Not connecting to w|0 as expected Reply with quote
dovesong wrote:
steveg1701 wrote:

Ok, I set my repeater to use 192.168.0.1 and set up w|0 as a client. I still don't get a WAN IP address, unfortunately. Also unfortunately, I don't have the ability to turn security off from the first router. Is there a way to see a log of the WNDR3300's attempts to connect to the first router? And/or, do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help and ideas!

Double check the SSID and security information, make sure they match EXACTLY the main router. If you can find out what mode the main router uses (mixed, N only etc) then match that too. If that fails then do a 30-30-30 and make sure you modify only the settings we have discussed. One more idea - maybe switch the roles of wl0 and wl1.

Wish I knew the answer to your log question, hope somebody else does!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: