WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
rgagne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 0:09    Post subject: Another user with same problem Reply with quote
I also have the A0 A3 batch and had same issues. Had to revert back to the stock firmware (which, for instance, does not support N only mode - one of the reasons for getting the router in the first place...)

Hoping there is a solution soon

Last edited by rgagne on Fri Apr 30, 2010 15:11; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
gluc0se
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was hoping to be up and running on DD-WRT on my new router and I in fact have the A0 A3 model as well. Buffalo, we need your help!
Solamar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
chris12892 wrote:

I have found the batch numbers to be pretty tell tale.

A0 A3s seem to have the most issues. Anything after A0 A3 seems to be fine.

I've got an A0 D0 and having similar issues. Had to do a 30/30/30 to get back to stock firmware. :/

I did end up reflashing a 2nd time and it worked, kind of, but the WAN port dies after an hour or 2.

Sooo.. back to stock firmware again..

Definatly more to the issues with this firmware than a simple number..
sagementor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:35    Post subject: Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT Reply with quote
memdump20 wrote:
Had two of these routers new shipped with Buffalo Firmware 1.65.

Attempted to flash to DD-WRT using the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin file.

Problem is now the routers are in an endless reboot cycle.

Power On: Red Diag light stays light for 15 seconds. Then all lights come on for a few seconds. Then the process repeats over and over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to recover this router at this point in time?

my wzr-hp-g300nh is bricked with the symptoms as yours. the red diag LED is lighted on (not blinks), then every 30 seconds, it blinks once with all other LEDs (like a reset), then remains light on.

I got into this problem by mistakenly flash a WHR-HP-300N rom into this device.

I have no way to flash new rom by TFTP. I tried both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.11.1 using ARP command, and send my PC 192.168.1.2.

Any solution?

Kenneth
this.is.eboy@gmail.com
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:29    Post subject: Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT Reply with quote
sagementor wrote:

I have no way to flash new rom by TFTP. I tried both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.11.1 using ARP command, and send my PC 192.168.1.2.

Any solution?

Yes, read the other threads about WZR-HP-G300NH and follow the instructions there for flashing via tftp, especially the settings of IP on your computer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 14:26    Post subject: Re: WZR-HP-G300NH - Endless reboots after Buffalo to DD-WRT Reply with quote
sagementor wrote:
memdump20 wrote:
Had two of these routers new shipped with Buffalo Firmware 1.65.

Attempted to flash to DD-WRT using the buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-EU-US.bin file.

Problem is now the routers are in an endless reboot cycle.

Power On: Red Diag light stays light for 15 seconds. Then all lights come on for a few seconds. Then the process repeats over and over.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to recover this router at this point in time?

my wzr-hp-g300nh is bricked with the symptoms as yours. the red diag LED is lighted on (not blinks), then every 30 seconds, it blinks once with all other LEDs (like a reset), then remains light on.

I got into this problem by mistakenly flash a WHR-HP-300N rom into this device.

Any solution?

Kenneth
this.is.eboy@gmail.com

I can tftp rom file in linux. It shows "Sent 12754972 btyes in 23.1 seconds". However my router still keeps rebooting and does not work.
modok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
me is the same problem ,and windows7 tftp dont work
k4021
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 23:45    Post subject: Bricked Reply with quote
I had ddwrt installed but decided that the current version of dd wrt wasnt much good so followed the instructions on the wiki to install original buffalo firmware. However the update process went on for about 20 mins and stopped responding and now the red diag light flashes twice every few seconds.
have tried
30/30/30 reset
tftp firmware from win 7 just after its switched on using multiple firmwares including dd-wrt, open wrt and buffalo official firmware v1.6, 1.72 and 1.74 using the method given by ermax. tried with windows inbuilt tftp client and the firmwware upgrade utility given in the wiki for bricked routers. I have tried both ip adresses 192.168.11.1 and 192.168.1.1.

But I cannot ping it at all there is absolutely no response no matter what I do so I reckon tftp is not possible and I have a brick.

router versio B0 B0

UPDATE: Got it fixed by installing Ubuntu and following the guide here for linux:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_Bad_Flash

Trying to follow the guides for tftp-ing it in win 7 didn't work at all but it worked first time in linux. No idea why it worked in linux but not windows but it did.
dwmw2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 17:29    Post subject: Endless reboots WZR-HP-G301NH; TFTP works but can't recover Reply with quote
memdump20 wrote:

I went toy shopping in Akihabara today and bought a WZR-HP-G301NH which I've managed to get into this state.

I installed DD-WRT OK, but then tried writing a G300NH image directly to the flash under Linux, following the instructions at http://www.joewein.net/blog/2010/09/04/installing-openwrt-on-wzr-hp-g300nh-from-dd-wrt/ -- because I wanted to see if openwrt would send 802.11d information in its beacons.

I can attempt to recover with TFTP, but I can't find an image that actually works.

If I send the wzrhpg301nh-174 file downloaded from buffalo.jp and extracted from the self-extracting ZIP file, the device just goes back to its endless reboot cycle after I've sent the file -- it seems to ignore it. Various other files give me the same behaviour. The only ones which behave any differently are:

If I send the wzrhpg300nh-174 file from buffalo-tech.com, I get a TFTP NAK to the first packet, telling me it's the wrong hardware. The buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin intended for the G300NH does the same.

If I send the G301NH 'buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin' that I originally used to upgrade from the stock firmware to DD-WRT, that looked promising... the diag light then flashed for about 6 minutes, and then it restarted and.... nothing useful happened. The wireless light came on for a few seconds, then started flashing. I left it like that for ten minutes, then power cycled it.

And now that's all it does when it powers up -- flash the wireless light instead of the endless reboot cycle. Unless it's interrupted by an attempted TFTP transfer.

Is there anything I can send to the board with TFTP that will get it back into a sane state? Or do I need to take it apart and wire up a serial console?
dwmw2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 17:52    Post subject: Re: Endless reboots WZR-HP-G301NH; TFTP works but can't reco Reply with quote
dwmw2 wrote:

And now that's all it does when it powers up -- flash the wireless light instead of the endless reboot cycle. Unless it's interrupted by an attempted TFTP transfer.

Um... that means it's working. Oops. At some point during the proceedings, my laptop's wireless card stopped scanning. So looking for 'dd-wrt' in the list of networks offered by NetworkManager wasn't such a useful test of whether the AP was behaving.

It is now working correctly... except that it isn't including country information in its beacons, but quite frankly I don't care about that any more Smile
QLink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 13:53    Post subject: Re: Endless reboots WZR-HP-G301NH; TFTP works but can't reco Reply with quote
dwmw2 wrote:
dwmw2 wrote:

Um... that means it's working. Oops. At some point during the proceedings, my laptop's wireless card stopped scanning. So looking for 'dd-wrt' in the list of networks offered by NetworkManager wasn't such a useful test of whether the AP was behaving.

It is now working correctly... except that it isn't including country information in its beacons, but quite frankly I don't care about that any more Smile

i have exact the same problem here with my g300nh. i tried to flash from buffalo to DD-WRT with this binary: "Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH: Special File for initial flashing buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin 2010-08-09 12,16 MB"

upgradeprogress passed without problems and reached 100%.
but then nothing happened, the router didnt reboot, so i waited another 20min, but still no change.

so i plugged off/on power and now all it does is flash the wireless light...

i have tried a 30/30/30 hardreset without success, still the same prob.
i also tried to ping the router at 192.168.11.1 without success..

what did you exactly do, to get your router back working from this status ?

has anyone else an idea how i can get it back working ?
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 15:54    Post subject: Re: Endless reboots WZR-HP-G301NH; TFTP works but can't reco Reply with quote
dwmw2 wrote:
memdump20 wrote:

I went toy shopping in Akihabara today and bought a WZR-HP-G301NH which I've managed to get into this state.

I installed DD-WRT OK, but then tried writing a G300NH image directly to the flash under Linux, following the instructions at http://www.joewein.net/blog/2010/09/04/installing-openwrt-on-wzr-hp-g300nh-from-dd-wrt/ -- because I wanted to see if openwrt would send 802.11d information in its beacons.

I can attempt to recover with TFTP, but I can't find an image that actually works.

If I send the wzrhpg301nh-174 file downloaded from buffalo.jp and extracted from the self-extracting ZIP file, the device just goes back to its endless reboot cycle after I've sent the file -- it seems to ignore it. Various other files give me the same behaviour. The only ones which behave any differently are:

If I send the wzrhpg300nh-174 file from buffalo-tech.com, I get a TFTP NAK to the first packet, telling me it's the wrong hardware. The buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin intended for the G300NH does the same.

If I send the G301NH 'buffalo_to_ddwrt_webflash-MULTI.bin' that I originally used to upgrade from the stock firmware to DD-WRT, that looked promising... the diag light then flashed for about 6 minutes, and then it restarted and.... nothing useful happened. The wireless light came on for a few seconds, then started flashing. I left it like that for ten minutes, then power cycled it.

Is there anything I can send to the board with TFTP that will get it back into a sane state? Or do I need to take it apart and wire up a serial console?

http://scarygliders.net/?p=13.

You need to follow that one

You will probably have to hookup a serial console because there is
a special setting you need to set and write into the UBoot so that
you can flash any firmware, not just the Japanese flagged firmware.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Lostbytes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 21:47    Post subject: Recovery Reply with quote
MESSAGE TO OP:

I have Recovered from this same issue multiple times using the flashing instructions found here:

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH

I did not use a liveCD though, as i have a box with linux on it. I do recommend setting the time out to 120 and make sure you use the 192.168.11.xxx subnet.

I have only flashed the Buffalo to dd-wrt version of the firmware with success .
hacker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ermax wrote:
Now I just pulled the power plug out and then typed:
tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT wzrhpg300nh-165
Then I plugged it back in and then hit enter. It will sit for about 20secs and then finally transfer. The diag light flashes for about 5mins and then reboots and come back up with the original firmware.

Keep in mind, this method DOES NOT WORK if you've flashed your Buffalo router with the non-Buffalo versions of dd-wrt. You can NOT use this method to go back to the stock Buffalo firmware if you've flashed your WHR with the community version of dd-wrt.

This method ONLY works if you are already running the Buffalo supplied dd-wrt version ("User friendly" or "Professional").

Once you've flashed your WHR with the community version of dd-wrt, there is no way to go back, other than to disassemble your WHR and flash it using the serial interface inside the router itself (obviously, voiding the warranty).
zaphod4269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
hacker wrote:
ermax wrote:
Now I just pulled the power plug out and then typed:
tftp -i 192.168.11.1 PUT wzrhpg300nh-165
Then I plugged it back in and then hit enter. It will sit for about 20secs and then finally transfer. The diag light flashes for about 5mins and then reboots and come back up with the original firmware.

Keep in mind, this method DOES NOT WORK if you've flashed your Buffalo router with the non-Buffalo versions of dd-wrt. You can NOT use this method to go back to the stock Buffalo firmware if you've flashed your WHR with the community version of dd-wrt.

This method ONLY works if you are already running the Buffalo supplied dd-wrt version ("User friendly" or "Professional").

Once you've flashed your WHR with the community version of dd-wrt, there is no way to go back, other than to disassemble your WHR and flash it using the serial interface inside the router itself (obviously, voiding the warranty).

I flashed mine with an older community version of dd-wrt. Then tried to flash it back to the factory firmware so I could then update it to the official buffalo dd-wrt. It failed and I just got the diag light flashing twice.

Tftp restore from ubuntu live cd worked with v1.72 of factory buffalo firmware.

So it is possible to revert to factory firmware from the community version.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: