How to install NFS on WNR3500L. Is the performance better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hahaha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 23:36    Post subject: How to install NFS on WNR3500L. Is the performance better Reply with quote
than Samba?

I appreciate if anyone here can provide a step-by-step instructions.
Sponsor
onlinespending
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't successfully mounted it in Windows, but I'll share what I did to install it on my router.

Quote:
ipkg-opt install portmap
ipkg-opt install unfs3

Now create an exports file that sets up your shared directory. I created it as /opt/etc/exports. Here's an example that setups up /mnt to be accessible by any one on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Quote:
/mnt 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)

You'll need to go into your /opt/etc/init.d/ directory and start the portmap service (S55*).

Before you start unfs3 edit the unfsd service (S56*), change the command line option for unfsd to point to your exports file. Normally it looks for /etc/exports.

Quote:
unfsd -e /opt/etc/exports

Now start the unfsd daemon (S56*).

On your client computer you should be able to see the exports by issuing a showmount command.

Quote:
showmount -e 192.168.1.1

This much I've gotten to work. However when I try mounting it with Windows 7 x64 I always get an Error 53 (network path not found), despite the fact that it had no problem seeing the export with showmount. It's able to communicate with the portmap daemon which is telling it about the exports, but not the unfsd daemon. I would imagine it's on the standard 2049 port. Perhaps I need to open these up on the router? Perhaps I need to change the mountd port?
onlinespending
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
So has anyone successfully setup an NFS share? Care to share your experiences?
idaniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47    Post subject: NFS usage Reply with quote
I was finally able to use UNFS3, but not the one from nslu, but from kamikaze distribution of openwrt. Please let me know if interested and I'll write all the steps.
I'm using a RT-N16 router and I'm pleased with UNFS performance.

Daniel
DiamondView
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:21    Post subject: Re: NFS usage Reply with quote
idaniel wrote:
I was finally able to use UNFS3, but not the one from nslu, but from kamikaze distribution of openwrt. Please let me know if interested and I'll write all the steps.

Daniel

Hi Daniel
What transfer speeds are you getting from the RT-N16 (up/down) with UNFS? (I've got Kong's DD-WRT build running Samba3 and getting 5 MB/s read & 6 MB/s write).
DV
idaniel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:05    Post subject: Re: NFS usage Reply with quote
DiamondView wrote:
idaniel wrote:

Daniel

Hi Daniel
What transfer speeds are you getting from the RT-N16 (up/down) with UNFS? (I've got Kong's DD-WRT build running Samba3 and getting 5 MB/s read & 6 MB/s write).
DV

I don't have numbers yet, I may have them soon, if I'll be able to see the NFS share from Windows XP. Using Samba I'm getting almost the same numbers as you, maybe a little bit higher.
When I said that I'm pleased with performance I was comparing Asus RT-N16 NFS transfer speed with Netgear WGT634U NFS transfer speed.
When using WGT634U NFS share in order to play a 8 GB full HD movie using a WDTV player, there were moments when image was choking. However, using RT-N16 NFS share, is working like a charm.
DiamondView
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:20    Post subject: Re: NFS usage Reply with quote
idaniel wrote:
DiamondView wrote:
idaniel wrote:

Daniel

Hi Daniel
DV

I don't have numbers yet, I may have them soon, if I'll be able to see the NFS share from Windows XP. Using Samba I'm getting almost the same numbers as you, maybe a little bit higher.
When I said that I'm pleased with performance I was comparing Asus RT-N16 NFS transfer speed with Netgear WGT634U NFS transfer speed.
When using WGT634U NFS share in order to play a 8 GB full HD movie using a WDTV player, there were moments when image was choking. However, using RT-N16 NFS share, is working like a charm.

OK post your results once its setup as I'm curious to see if UNFS is more efficient than Samba.
I'd guess you'd need at least 6 MB/s read for smooth Bluray playback.
DV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: