Have WNDR3700 would like to test any builds available

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
Nid_fr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
All right, I went ahead and built an OpenWRT firmware using the latest stable branch (backfire_10.03), after removing the .mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE, from target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-wndr3700.c

No luck. mtd commands still fail. But I now have a nice firmware with ntfs read/write and the luci interface... Still no wifi though Mad
Sponsor
hijglander
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nid_fr wrote:
All right, I went ahead and built an OpenWRT firmware using the latest stable branch (backfire_10.03), after removing the .mask_flags = MTD_WRITEABLE, from target/linux/ar71xx/files/arch/mips/ar71xx/mach-wndr3700.c

No luck. mtd commands still fail. But I now have a nice firmware with ntfs read/write and the luci interface... Still no wifi though Mad

If you want a fully functioning openwrt backfire 10.03 you can download this one: link. You must flash from netgear firmware.
Nid_fr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I got my wifi back. Here is what I did (as far as i can remember):

With the stock NETGEAR V1.0.4.68 firmware

First, you need to download the caldata dump from https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=111600. Ideally you should modify that file to change the MAC addresses. I didn't, as I did not expect this to work but I'll change them later on.

Next, put that file onto a FAT32 formatted usb drive. Plug the drive into the router and make sure usb is enabled and active in the web admin interface.

Run telnetEnable and open a telnet prompt to the router.

Copy the caldata dump onto the router, for example :
Code:
cp /mnt/sda1/caldata /tmp

Then run :
Code:
cd /tmp
mtd unlock caldata
mtd -r caldata caldata

The router will reboot automatically. After the reboot, you should have your wifi back.

I have no idea why I was able write to the caldata from the stock firmware. I thought I had tested that. Well, I've tested so many things in the last few days I haven't kept track of everything.

But hey I'm not complaining, wifi is working again ! I haven't been able to try the 5GHz wifi, since I don't own a client device that supports it. But the blue 5GHz LED is on and the 2.4GHz is working fine.

Good luck to the FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF crowd Mr. Green
macbeth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
stock firmware is based on the previous version of openwrt and probably don't have mtd locked... nice done ! What firmware are you using now ? stock , openwrt or dd-wrt ?
Nid_fr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am still using the stock firmware for now. I think I'll wait a bit before trying a custom firmware again Mr. Green. As soon as the FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF problem is fixed I'll go back to DD-WRT, the stock firmware is no fun at all 8)

Wifi is working, but very weak. I can't connect reliably from outside the room where the router is, which is the reason I was trying DD-WRT in the first place.
macbeth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
last version of dd-wrt (downloadable form a previous post) isn't affected by erase caldata bug.
macbeth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably this solution should sticked for others ppl with the wifi death

This is the telnetEnable utility

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

Nid_fr wrote:
Ok, I got my wifi back. Here is what I did (as far as i can remember):

With the stock NETGEAR V1.0.4.68 firmware

First, you need to download the caldata dump from https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=111600. Ideally you should modify that file to change the MAC addresses. I didn't, as I did not expect this to work but I'll change them later on.

Next, put that file onto a FAT32 formatted usb drive. Plug the drive into the router and make sure usb is enabled and active in the web admin interface.

Run telnetEnable and open a telnet prompt to the router.

Copy the caldata dump onto the router, for example :
Code:
cp /mnt/sda1/caldata /tmp

Then run :
Code:
cd /tmp
mtd unlock caldata
mtd -r caldata caldata

The router will reboot automatically. After the reboot, you should have your wifi back.

I have no idea why I was able write to the caldata from the stock firmware. I thought I had tested that. Well, I've tested so many things in the last few days I haven't kept track of everything.

But hey I'm not complaining, wifi is working again ! I haven't been able to try the 5GHz wifi, since I don't own a client device that supports it. But the blue 5GHz LED is on and the 2.4GHz is working fine.

Good luck to the FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF crowd Mr. Green
Mr_DoughBoy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm this still doesnt seem to resolve the weak firmware issue after flash
BigRon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good to see that someone managed to resolve the MAC Adress issue.

The only thing what is keeping me from upgrading to DD-WRT are the WiFi Issues. As soon as the WiFi issues are resolved I will go to DDWRT. The stock Firmware isnt usable how its propagated through Netgear.

Glad to see so much improvement in the DDWRT Firmware.

Greetings ron

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:41    Post subject: weak 2.4ghz wireless Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I would like to thanks the developer for taking their time to create a wonderful firmware with many options. Recently, I bought a wndr3700 and since I just that dd-wrt supported so I went ahead and installed. Everything went very well. The signal was good, speed was good too. I can have option to increase the wireless's power. This is a wonderful option. Here is what going on right now. After couples of days of using the router and all of sudden the 2.4ghz became very week. It drops from 5 bars to 1 bar and the rate drops from 150 to barely zero.

When I first installed this, I saw the atenna chain option of at (TX 1+3), (RX 1+2+3). When the wireless became weak, I did 30-30-30 reset. Everything reset to default, but then the wireless ssid became undetectable. If I change the tx chain to 1+2, then the ssid is visible.

Can anyone help me out how to get this back to normal?? I have tried to go back to stock firmware by following the wiki's instructions.

The one thing I dont get it, why is it only affecting the 2.4ghz but not 5.0 ghz

Best regard
rept
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 0:30    Post subject: Re: weak 2.4ghz wireless Reply with quote
outfire wrote:
Here is what going on right now. After couples of days of using the router and all of sudden the 2.4ghz became very week. It drops from 5 bars to 1 bar and the rate drops from 150 to barely zero.

When I first installed this, I saw the atenna chain option of at (TX 1+3), (RX 1+2+3). When the wireless became weak, I did 30-30-30 reset. Everything reset to default, but then the wireless ssid became undetectable. If I change the tx chain to 1+2, then the ssid is visible.

Can anyone help me out how to get this back to normal?? I have tried to go back to stock firmware by following the wiki's instructions.

Unfortunately there is no known way of fixing this at the moment. Even reverting to stock doesn't help. That's why some of us are asking to remove the 'supported' status for the wndr3700...
BigRon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you actually fixed your bad perception with flashing back to newest Firmware from Netgear?

For now this is the only thing which is holding me away from flashing DD-WRT on the ENDR3700. THe MAC FF:FF:FF:FF Issue seems to be fixable.

BTW.Did DD-WRT work for a couple of days with 2,4GHz without problems and then suddenly became weak?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigRon wrote:
BTW.Did DD-WRT work for a couple of days with 2,4GHz without problems and then suddenly became weak?

That happened to me, yes.
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it possible that DD-WRT overloaded the wi-fi chip?

I.E. DD-WRT typically allows much higher power values than stock.

That being the case, maybe the default DD-WRT values were too high and 'kind of cooked' the wifi chip?

Would there be any way to test it?

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
Polaris75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
macbeth wrote:
Probably this solution should sticked for others ppl with the wifi death

This is the telnetEnable utility

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/10602/NETGEAR-Telnet-Enable-Utility/

Doesn't seem to be working for me ... is there a different default telnet username and password for the 3700 than the device this was intended for? I'm trying Gearguy/Geardog as the documentation says but just keep getting "send failed: 10057" over and over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 227, 228, 229  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 70 of 229
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: