Wireless dropouts, all-round poor performance with Buffalo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
eddydoors
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, nothing to do..
Sponsor
Ronnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also having trouble with the Buffalo HP with DD-WRT v23 sp2 dropping wireless connections. The unit will drop out about every 10 to 12 minutes.

I then have to reconnect through the wireless client.

I have tried changing the default setting of the xmit power from 28 to 10. This did not help. Tried resetting the router to all default settings this also did not change anything.

Rebooted the router still no help.

It has a strong signal if I could just get it to hold.
luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Adi what about those pictures you promised?? where are they
tHeJinX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
look here, its maybe the same problem

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=382&highlight=drop+client+thejinx
Ronnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I at first thought the problem was in the hardware of the Buffalo HP as the signal would just keep deteriorating after it connected to the Internet until it finally dropped out. But now I believe it to be something with the way XP hooks up with DD –WRT.

I also have a computer on the wireless network running 2000 Pro this computer hooks up and holds fine. Both computers are using Linksys cards. I swapped cards to make sure the card was not at fault. The problem stayed with the XP computer. Also the 2000 Pro computer is running the Linksys software to connect.

I may have a problem with the configuration in the XP computer. After initially testing the stability of the Buffalo HP with DD-WRT for a couple of days with no encryption, I selected WPA encryption with a large pre shared key. This connected fine the first time then, would not connect the next day. The 2000 Pro computer also would not connect the next day with WPA. I then changed the settings in the router back to default. After this, the XP computer would connect but the little wireless icon at the bottom of the screen still had an X across it. But I could connect to the Internet.

Just wanted to let everyone know it may not be the Buffalo HP hardware in my case.

Out of curiosity is everyone that is having problems running XP?
d00zah
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you applied the following XP hotfix?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=662BB74D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en

It's not available via Windows Update (or wasn't) & doesn't apply to Win2K. Might be worth a try? YMMV

Overview

This update to Windows XP provides support for Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2), which is the latest standards-based wireless security solution derived from the IEEE 802.11i standard. It also contains Wireless Provisioning Services (WPS) Information Element support, which enables improvements in wireless network discoverability.

d-

Linux 6.1.86 #130 SMP Wed Apr 17 05:48:30 +07 2024 armv7l
Updated from: DD-WRT v3.0-55779 std (04/12/24) via GUI (FF), NO reset
Gateway: SmartDNS, DDNS (FreeDNS), IPv4 DHCP, Static leases, SFE Disabled, QoS Disabled
AP: 2.4GHz NG-Mixed 40MHz, 5GHz AC/N-Mixed 80MHz, WPA2 w/ AES, MAC filtering, Isolated Guest VAP on wlan1, Vanilla FW
Services: USB Storage, NAS, Samba
Storage: Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield USB 3.2 2TB, /jffs, /opt, /data (ext4)
Ronnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks d00, I will try the Hotfix.
Biggles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a bit of positive feedback. I set up a new Buf HP router this week and it words flawlessly, only 'issue' is that TX error increment if nothing is attached - but Im told thats typical behaviour so its not a real issue. I get 80% of my wired performance 300 feet away from my router using WPA security - good enough for me.

A side not - my router does not like to be overclocked AT ALL. running even the smallest OC and things get a be wonky. Also, running the TX power >30 seems to degrade performance. There is a built in amp into the router and I imagine 30 is about the cut off until it over attenuates and just dumps in noise.
Ronnie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
d00zah, Applied Hotfix as you suggested.

The icon at the bottom of the screen for wireless has no X across it.

The connection has now held 1 hour, it was 10 to 12 minutes before.

If it holds for a couple of days I will try to encrypt the wireless signal again.

I would not have found that fix if you gave me the time it takes to crack a 64 bit password. Thanks
d00zah
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to help. While you're at it, it's always a good idea to also check your NIC's manufacturer website for the latest drivers. More often than not, the MS Update supplied drivers are older.

d-

Linux 6.1.86 #130 SMP Wed Apr 17 05:48:30 +07 2024 armv7l
Updated from: DD-WRT v3.0-55779 std (04/12/24) via GUI (FF), NO reset
Gateway: SmartDNS, DDNS (FreeDNS), IPv4 DHCP, Static leases, SFE Disabled, QoS Disabled
AP: 2.4GHz NG-Mixed 40MHz, 5GHz AC/N-Mixed 80MHz, WPA2 w/ AES, MAC filtering, Isolated Guest VAP on wlan1, Vanilla FW
Services: USB Storage, NAS, Samba
Storage: Samsung Portable SSD T7 Shield USB 3.2 2TB, /jffs, /opt, /data (ext4)
mono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello.

I just signed up on the forum so I can see adisor's pictures. Mr. Green

If he can't get them up, I've a new HP ordered, showing up someday soon and will post that, but I don't have a (last-gen) version to compare.
sherman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Biggles wrote:
Just a bit of positive feedback. I set up a new Buf HP router this week and it words flawlessly, only 'issue' is that TX error increment if nothing is attached - but Im told thats typical behaviour so its not a real issue. I get 80% of my wired performance 300 feet away from my router using WPA security - good enough for me.

A side not - my router does not like to be overclocked AT ALL. running even the smallest OC and things get a be wonky. Also, running the TX power >30 seems to degrade performance. There is a built in amp into the router and I imagine 30 is about the cut off until it over attenuates and just dumps in noise.

Could someone please explain what the "TX error issue" is?
riku2015
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like people have almost same problems.

i haved also some problems with buffalo. i suggest using WRT54GL from linksys.
my theard. i runned some tests, and buffalo loses all.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8080&sid=d23d977c17ca053a3e3669545e24948c
mono
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WHR-HP-G54 I just received from buy.com appears made in 42nd week of '06, fresh from the factory. Is this any different than past revision of WHR-HP-G54?

Based on the vendor pictures, it looks like they used to include a smaller antenna but this is larger, looks exactly like WLE-AT-NDRHB.

Medium and large sized images for the bandwidth impaired.

PCB Front 200K - 2MB

PCB Back 200K - 2MB

back2_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.11 KB
 Viewed:  14263 Time(s)

back2_sm.jpg

front2_sm.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.18 KB
 Viewed:  14263 Time(s)

front2_sm.jpg

luckman212
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just received a very strange package....... 2 brand new Buffalo WHR-G54S units both were missing the right-side plastic cover panel. It wasnt loose or shaking around in the box, it was simply just completely missing from the box. Like the Chinese assembly line forgot to put it on. The routers work fine but they look weird and I will have a hard time selling them in this condition. Sad

hello, Quality Control anyone??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: