Have WNDR3700 would like to test any builds available

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 227, 228, 229  Next
grimgriefer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok folks I have reverted back to my trusted WRT54GL's for now as the signal quality on the WNDR3700's is just too poor.

Linking two together in AP and repeater bridge mode I get around 50% -> 60% signal quality. With the WNDR3700's in WDS mode (either 2.4ghz or 5ghz) I rarely get about 15% and it just causes to many issues with streaming media. The wireless distance issue has definately been sorted but the quality of the signal has not unfortunately.
Sponsor
m0unds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
can't really say i understand why the dd-wrt team claims support of the 3700 when it's as buggy as it is...why not say unsupported and point to this thread until there's a stable build that *doesn't* often kill the 2.4GHz radio?
on_tv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to say, I am rather shocked at some peoples attitude towards the hard working coders trying to make this work.

We've been asking for so long to have them build this for us. They finally came through because of our constant nagging. I am sure they are working hard to figure out the issues at hand; and trust me, I am a developer and I know how difficult some bugs can be to find, let alone finding the right solution for it.

We all know how buggy this is, and it is ultimately OUR choice to install this on our routers.

Lets give some slack to our fine coders and help them out with as much information as we can give them to try and figure these issues out. It is only then that we can get a more stable and perfected version.

I too am waiting patiently for a less buggy release, but lets commend these guys for their hard work rather than critisize the bugginess.

My 2 cents..
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
m0unds wrote:
can't really say i understand why the dd-wrt team claims support of the 3700 when it's as buggy as it is...why not say unsupported and point to this thread until there's a stable build that *doesn't* often kill the 2.4GHz radio?

can't really say I understand why people are buying a router that is buggy already with stock firmware and then expects dd-wrt to be the big solution to their problem.
Netgear is apparently not able to solve the problems with the router but you expect Brainslayer to do it.
And do it immediately..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
m0unds wrote:

can't really say I understand why people are buying a router that is buggy already with stock firmware and then expects dd-wrt to be the big solution to their problem.
Netgear is apparently not able to solve the problems with the router but you expect Brainslayer to do it.
And do it immediately..

Maybe I missed something in the many many many pages of this thread, but what's 'buggy' about the stock firmware of the 3700?
foobarfoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
lukano wrote:
Maybe I missed something in the many many many pages of this thread, but what's 'buggy' about the stock firmware of the 3700?

Here's the problems I've encountered with the stock firmware (haven't flashed dd-wrt yet onto this router):
- Enabling email alerts for attacks and/or enabling the traffic meter causes the router to lock up every 6-12 days (Wifi clients can't associate, UI stops working, wired clients still function though)
- Enabling a DMZ host causes all internal hosts to be blocked from accessing the DMZ host from the internal network.
- 2.4Ghz Wifi signal is weak doesn't allow much tweaking of power settings (my WNDR3700 replaced a trusty WRT54GS and can't match it's wifi signal)
- Netgear support doesn't understand how to troubleshoot any of the above beyond recommending "reflash the firmware and see if it still happens..."
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
lukano wrote:

just do a web search for "wndr3700 problems"

pages & pages of hits.. there is even a website called wndr3700-problems

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
m0unds wrote:

And do it immediately..

I think it's a fair comment, the status should be changed to WIP. I had a 3700...went to the site to install dd-wrt...says supported. Installed, rebooted, and bam zero 2.4 signal and reflash to stock didn't fix it.

I'm not asking anyone to work on it or work faster by any means, but it should probably be removed from the supported list or something along those lines.

I don't find the stock FW to be buggy. It has a few small issues, but they all do. I prefer it over the stock firmware on my e3000, that's for sure.
shadowdancer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
beaups wrote:
LOM wrote:
m0unds wrote:

And do it immediately..

I think it's a fair comment, the status should be changed to WIP. I had a 3700...went to the site to install dd-wrt...says supported. Installed, rebooted, and bam zero 2.4 signal and reflash to stock didn't fix it.

I'm not asking anyone to work on it or work faster by any means, but it should probably be removed from the supported list or something along those lines.

I don't find the stock FW to be buggy. It has a few small issues, but they all do. I prefer it over the stock firmware on my e3000, that's for sure.

Most of all the files on the front page NEEDS to be removed, immediately. They break the physical hardware of the routers (Or some at least)

The lastest Stock firmware increased range btw, got from 2 bars to 3 in my bedroom.
rept
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
beaups wrote:

Exactly!!! Nobody is asking a fix 'immediatly'. However this is a WIP and not supported and should be listed as such. I bought this router cause it said supported, I have no wireless now. I'm not complaining but you cannot call this supported (yet).
Nid_fr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18    Post subject: Wifi fubared Reply with quote
Hi,

Like a few others, I installed DD-WRT a few days ago on my WNDR 3700. Wifi wasn't working so i reinstalled the original firmware with the recovery CD. And now all mac addresses are FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. It took me the longest time to find out I had to change the WAN mac address to something more credible (DE:CA:FB:AD:XX:XX Cool) to get Internet access back.

Anyway, I have read most of this thread, and it seems that no solution has been found yet. I have managed to access the box via telnet and do a few things like dump the caldata. If anybody wants to try something, let me know, I'm willing to spend some time on that before I RMA the router.

Cheers,

J.
wired57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:22    Post subject: Re: Wifi fubared Reply with quote
hit me up with some contact detailks via pm and on sunday i'll play with it

Nid_fr wrote:
Hi,

Like a few others, I installed DD-WRT a few days ago on my WNDR 3700. Wifi wasn't working so i reinstalled the original firmware with the recovery CD. And now all mac addresses are FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. It took me the longest time to find out I had to change the WAN mac address to something more credible (DE:CA:FB:AD:XX:XX Cool) to get Internet access back.

Anyway, I have read most of this thread, and it seems that no solution has been found yet. I have managed to access the box via telnet and do a few things like dump the caldata. If anybody wants to try something, let me know, I'm willing to spend some time on that before I RMA the router.

Cheers,

J.
macbeth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Re: Wifi fubared Reply with quote
Have you tried to restore the caldata partition following the instructions in the 2 previous pages ?

Nid_fr wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,

J.
Nid_fr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried :
Code:
mtd unlock caldata
mtd -e art write /tmp/caldata art

but got :
Code:
Could not open mtd device: art
Can't open device for writing!

I haven't really looked into the custom kernel option from the OpenWRT post mentionned a few posts ago. I might try that later on.
macbeth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
On the openwrt forum there are the infos required to build an openwrt build with the partitions unlocked... give it a try :

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=109879#p109879
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 227, 228, 229  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 69 of 229
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: