help me choose a router from the list

Goto page 1, 2  Next
agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:40    Post subject: help me choose a router from the list Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm in need of a wifi router. Most of the routers with high specs are out of my budget. So I have sampled a few below (based on popularity from this forum) which are in my budget. Please help me choose the best one from the list. I need wifi. 802.11n support would be nice. Ethernet ports. Good range, 20 to 25 meters would be nice. Stable with dd-wrt. USB will be an added advantage if I plan to plug my HDD to it. Should be an ADSL modem. Should be able to revert back to factory settings if I screw up the install. No USB dongle necessary to use wifi. That's all I can think of now. Here goes the list:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N
Buffalo WHR-G300N
D-Link DIR-600
Netgear WGR614L
Linksys WRT54GL

My budget comes around $100.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:03    Post subject: Re: help me choose a router from the list Reply with quote
agn wrote:
Hi,

I'm in need of a wifi router. Most of the routers with high specs are out of my budget. So I have sampled a few below (based on popularity from this forum) which are in my budget. Please help me choose the best one from the list. I need wifi. 802.11n support would be nice. Ethernet ports. Good range, 20 to 25 meters would be nice. Stable with dd-wrt. USB will be an added advantage if I plan to plug my HDD to it. Should be an ADSL modem. Should be able to revert back to factory settings if I screw up the install. No USB dongle necessary to use wifi. That's all I can think of now. Here goes the list:

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N
Buffalo WHR-G300N
D-Link DIR-600
Netgear WGR614L
Linksys WRT54GL

My budget comes around $100.

You will need a separate modem. DD-WRT is for routers only, no combo devices are supported.

agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Err...what I meant by modem is an ADSL router that can dial-in with PPPOE. Isn't that supported ?
agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I get it now. I'll have to use the ISP given adsl modem to dial in and then put the router in between the modem and computer.
agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I currently have is a router cum modem. It doesn't have wifi and has only single ethernet port. Although I can configure it to dial pppoe, currently I use my system to dial in. Is it not possible to place a router in between my system and current router ?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
just set the 2nd router up as a switch & access point.

You will gain a 4 port switch, an access point, and your current router can handle dhcp.

because the switch is transparent, you can still use your rig for dial up connections but I would have your isp's device do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I set it up as a switch cum AP, will I be able to use all the features of dd-wrt like, say, vpn ? I know I'll loose an ethernet port, but I think that's something I'll have to live with. All the ISP's here in India provide router+modem devices. Heck, I can't even find an adsl modem only device on ebay.in either.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
agn wrote:
What I currently have is a router cum modem. It doesn't have wifi and has only single ethernet port. Although I can configure it to dial pppoe, currently I use my system to dial in. Is it not possible to place a router in between my system and current router ?

That sure sounds like a plain modem. Unless you can connect a switch and have it do NAT for multiple devices, it isn't a router.

agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It says "DSL Router" as title on its webpage. It's a broadcom device. No name on the router itself.

Code:
Board ID:     96338L-2M-8M
agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anderson, it's currently setup in bridge mode that's why I can dial in from my system.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Andersen wrote:
I found out that its a Beetel 220x ADSL router. Yes, I read in the manual that it's possible to set this unit in router or bridge mode.

The board ID doesn't tell what model it is. All it tells is that it's a BCM96338L CPU with presumably 2MB flash and 8MB RAM which many modems use.

All that really matters is whether the device is doing NAT or not. If it is then you'd want to configure the modem and router in a way that avoids double NAT.

So back to the topic, you have $100 to spend on a router and DON'T need a modem because you already have one. I don't think I like any of those choices, especially not the G spec models. The Buffalo models might be alright but I don't know much about Atheros based devices. I do have a WHR-G300N v1 and it's got some great wireless throughput but Ralink devices are rare so they're not supported as well as others. You might consider the RT-N16, RT-N12, or WNDR3300 which are popular Broadcom based devices.

agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not a Beetel router. They usually have Beetel written on top of it.

phuzi0n, the prices of routers in US and India are not same. I'd love to have RT-N16, but its too expensive. Costs more than $150 here. RT-N12 is not available here. Neither is WNDR3300. All Linksys routers that support 802.11n are ridiculously expensive here.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of what you have listed in the OP, i would go with the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N , dd-wrt has put out official firmware for it and its moderately priced.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
kalpik
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
agn wrote:
It's not a Beetel router. They usually have Beetel written on top of it.

phuzi0n, the prices of routers in US and India are not same. I'd love to have RT-N16, but its too expensive. Costs more than $150 here. RT-N12 is not available here. Neither is WNDR3300. All Linksys routers that support 802.11n are ridiculously expensive here.

Asus RT-N13U is available in Delhi (India) for about 3000 Rupees. Best value for money.
agn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Asus RT-N13U is available in Delhi (India) for about 3000 Rupees. Best value for money.

Asus RT-13U is still wip. Is it stable ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: